Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • E-Vent fabrics?
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Are they, by definition, all waterproof?

I’ve just bought an e-vent jacket, which is labelled as ‘windproof’ and was a bit concerned. I stuck the sleeve under the tap and the water just ran off so it seems waterproof…..
    So, Event=Waterproof, yes? Is that right?

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

water will run off a cotton t-shirt when it is brand new

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

water will run off a cotton t-shirt when it is brand new

Not for 2 minutes it won’t!
    😉

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

ah you didn’t state your test parameters

and it would with a Gap or Tescos value t-shirt, childrens tears make an excellent waterproofing agent

molgrips
    Free Member

eVent is waterproof afaik. Check the event website.

What jacket did you get?

cp

if it’s proper pucker eVent then it should be waterproof. It has been known to be quite, er, drafty, as unlike Goretex, it doesn’t have the PU layer on the inside. This (partly) makes eVent much more breathable than Gore-Tex. They may have modified the fabric in someway to make it more windproof?

grizzlygus
    Free Member

Yes, my understanding is that ‘eVent’ is the trade mark for a waterproof fabric. In my experience the only problems which might occur are likely to be through incorrect washing. This I believe effects the ‘breathability’ of the fabric rather that it’s ‘waterproofness’. Which can result in wetness against the skin due to sweat rather than water getting through.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I got the jacket off ebay, the description didn’t say what model it was (And it’s not on the tags either) but now I’ve got it here, and after a bit of research, I’m 99% sure it’s one of these (but red not black) –

http://www.outdoormania.co.uk/Item-0-0-cat-5-brand-13-Montane_eVent_Firestorm.aspx

Which does say it’s waterproof……

‘Tis a lovely jacket mind, so I’m not complaining for £53.52 delivered….

thegreatape
    Free Member

That jacket looks like a ‘soft shell’ as opposed to a ‘hard’ shell (a hard shell being fully waterproof and to some degree breathable eg. Goretex jaket, or the normal eVent fabric)

The term softshell covers a wide range of fabrics but essentially they are windproof, more breathable than a hard shell, and water resistant although not waterproof – ie. they’ll hold off drizzle or light rain but when it starts coming sideways the water will get through.

Looking at this though

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/news/article/mps/uan/4764

suggests that the fabric – eVent windproof not normal eVent waterproof – is still waterproof rather than water resistant like most softshells, but because of the construction the jacket won’t be ie. water will get in through seams if it’s raining hard enough.

Whatever it is, softshells are much better than hardshells most of the time anyway, and Montane make great kit. If you got that for £50 I think you’ve bought well.

thegreatape
    Free Member

A lot of fabrics are treated with what they call a DWR (durable water repellent I think) finish. This makes water bead and run off the fabric even if it’s not waterproof. Like vapour rise or paramo and many more. The DWR finish works best when clean, and needs reapplying from time to time.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I’m a boring bastard.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

suggests that the fabric – eVent windproof not normal eVent waterproof – is still waterproof rather than water resistant like most softshells, but because of the construction the jacket won’t be ie. water will get in through seams if it’s raining hard enough

Yeah I did some reading on the Event website and thought that might be the case.
    I tried a seam under the tap as well and it didn’t pee water through, in fact it seemed watertight…..
    Should be as good as I’ll ever need anyway
    🙂

thegreatape
    Free Member

It will be. Softshells are the way forward IMO.

molgrips
    Free Member

I dunno, I only wear a waterproof when it’s hooning down anyway, so a waterproof that wasn’t in these conditions wouldn’t be worth it.

Plus, softshells are warmer cos there’s always a bit of insulation on the inside. For me, staying cool on long wet rides in the summer is as much of a challenge as keeping warm in the winter. 18C in summer is cool enough to want protecting from the rain but not cool enough to not overheat in a softshell, for me.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Depends what softshell you get molgrips, any shell of any kind of going to insulte to a degree, my arcteryx softshell jacket has a very thin bonded mircofleece, which is quartered, so it is very cool. Its is alos pretty soft and wicking so never ‘feels’ wet against the skin. Softshell also tends to be more breathable than hardshell, reducing the tendancy for boil in the bag, but if it is so warm (and wet) outside the wearing of any shell will lead to overheating. You just have to decide whether to boil in your own sweat, or get wet through at a comfortable temperature.

If it is very warm but wet, I go long sleeve wool or short sleeve jersey alone, then sling a lighweight shell like a montane superfly over the top for stops.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Update – After repeated running under the tap, I can’t get it to leak at all, it fits perfectly, cost £10 less than the Endura I was going to buy and matches one of my bikes.

Me=Chuffed.
    😀

SteveTheBarbarian
    Free Member

They are supposed to be, and the right up on their website is very good:

http://www.eventfabrics.com/

However, I sent my eVent back to Endura, which they tested, and replaced – it leaked pretty bad. I know a fair few on here have done the same. No way to know if it was a bad batch, or whether to expect same from replacement.

SteveTheBarbarian
    Free Member

Er, that’s write up.

molgrips
    Free Member

I must confess, ADH, that I’ve been a gear geek for the last 15 years or so. I’ve tried a lot of different approaches, and I think I still prefer a waterproof shell in cool prolonged rain in summer over softshells. The only thing I’ve never tried though is a waterproof softshell, but if it’s as warm as North Face Apex super thin shell, then it’s too warm for summer.

Which is basically why I want an eVent jacket. Should still breathe better than anything I’ve had before, and the same even when it’s warm and damp. If it’s not comfortable then maybe I’ll look at softshell waterproof when my bank account lets me.

gingerflash

“Not for 2 minutes it won’t!”

Any windproof/water resistant will be very waterproof until washed the first time. My endura tights and singletrack shorts were totally waterproof for a while. My Event jacket beaded nicely and was great until it had been washed about 4 times. Now it just sucks up water like a sponge.

As above, soft shells are the way.

molgrips
    Free Member

My Event jacket beaded nicely and was great until it had been washed about 4 times. Now it just sucks up water like a sponge.

That’s what reproofing is for. Or DWR for non-waterproof softshells.

wwaswas

I own the same jacket as the op.

it’s windproof but not fully waterproof (i.e. it’ll shed quite a lot of rain but does let it through eventually).

I don’t use it for cyclign but it’s fine for general outdoor stuff as long as you put a proper waterproof over it if it’s peeing down.

it does stay fairly warm when wet due to the windproofness though.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I must confess, ADH, that I’ve been a gear geek for the last 15 years or so. I’ve tried a lot of different approaches, and I think I still prefer a waterproof shell in cool prolonged rain in summer over softshells. The only thing I’ve never tried though is a waterproof softshell, but if it’s as warm as North Face Apex super thin shell, then it’s too warm for summer.

Which is basically why I want an eVent jacket. Should still breathe better than anything I’ve had before, and the same even when it’s warm and damp. If it’s not comfortable then maybe I’ll look at softshell waterproof when my bank account lets me.

You and me both then. I find in summer, even wearing my super super thin montane superfly shell, its often still too warm and not even fully waterproof. Its is a coldish summer day and driving rain, maybe, just. My Gill thin full Event waterproof is far too hot. So I tend to just get wet, grin and bear it. Windproof gilets are good, keep the core warmer, lets the arms shed the excess heat. I’d still not wear a softshell in those conditions, if its too warm for a shell, its too warm for a shell. But then I may run hotter than you …

molgrips
    Free Member

If it’s proper warm and wet, I just wear a long sleeved base layer.

I had a good one last night. 8 degrees or so and I went on a hard 2.5 hour road ride in my Goretex XCR waterproof when it wasn’t raining. I got back, and there were small wetted out spots on the jacket. I was sweating a fair bit, so perhaps it came through from the inside?

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Its possible. I wear full on hardshells so little these days for anything requiring a high metabolic rate like riding, I doubt I could speculate much beyond that.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

So softshells can be a bit too warm, huh?

Fine. I’m buying this with the intention of riding Helvellyn in mid-March….

😀

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

It’ll be spot on Peter 🙂

robdob
    Free Member

Not if it’s 3foot in snow you’re not!!!
    (note to other readers, I’m going up with PP)

I’m taking karrimor ksb walking shoes, lowe alpine goretex jacket and waterproof trousers over thermal longs. I’ve been up there before!!!! 😉

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Ahh, I bet Pants is wearing shorts, and snow didn’t stop us in the Brecon Becons last year……

😈

robdob
    Free Member

That’s just a bit of slush. Remember it’s the third highest peak in England, in an area known for it’s changeable weather.

robdob
    Free Member

That’s just a bit of slush. Remember it’s the third highest peak in England, in an area known for it’s changeable weather.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘E-Vent fabrics?’ is closed to new replies.