Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • E conversion gearing question.
  • zippykona

I’ve never ridden a powered bike in my life.
    My bike currently has 11- 46 and 32t chainring.
    The E kit will have a 42t chainring which means a new chain. The cassette is old and no doubt won’t work with a new chain.
    My thoughts are to put a 34 chain ring on the E kit.
    The bike will be used mainly for shopping , commuting when my knee hurts and rare trips up over the South Downs.
    How will the lower gear affect how it rides?
    I very much doubt I will trouble the speed cut off . Will I be pedalling like mad?
    The other option is new cassette and chain. This can get mega expensive but have happened upon a cheap 11- 48 cassette made of steel on wiggle. Will my goat link go up to a 48t cog?
    Will a steel cassette and aluminium free wheel be eaten to bits by an E motor?
    Do I need a 46/48 t cog on an ebike? Obviously I will want to ride up the steepest hills I can once I get powered up. Will a 36 suffice or do I just do the right thing , buy good stuff and not be such a tight wad?

drew27
    Free Member

What is the max size chainring your frame will take? Some mtb frames that are 1xspeed are limited to chainring size like a 34t.

A smaller chainring sacrifices top speed but better climbing abilities and less stress on the motor on steep prolonged climbs.

Off the shelf e-mtbs tend to have a small chainring like a 32t, so it’s not like it would be unusual to fit a smaller chainring.

As a budget option, why not keep your 32t? You may need a converter for the kit though.

If you want more top speed then you can always fit a larger chainring/ cassette at a later date. Obviously there is the legal side of max speed and power for electric assistance but I’ll try and leave that can of worms closed…

zippykona

Good idea on the chain ring adaptor that is the answer to all my problems.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bri-72

My e-Mtb has 34t front and 11-40t rear. It goes up the steepest hills (mountains in the highlands) without resorting to boost much. And to me proves that the newer ebikes with 50t eagle cassettes are unnecessary.

At the other end I rarely hit the 15mph limiter. Weight of bike a factor. To me that’s a good thing. You may prefer gearing that allows higher top speed.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.