Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 264 total)
  • E-cigarettes can be key weapon against smoking, say MPs
  • mikewsmith
    Free Member

In case you didn’t notice, it is actually illegal to sell vapes to children.

Same as kids didn’t manage to buy cigs then 🙂

All people want is a restriction on use for the comfort of the rest of us, and some protection for people from all the advertising trying o get them addicted. If you want to buy it off you go.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Are you going to ban coffee in your office, and make them drink it outside, first thing in the morning?

I can design you up some posters if you like? Fire you over a pdf to print? 😆 just give me a shout if you need that.

seosamh77
    Free Member

In case you didn’t notice, it is actually illegal to sell vapes to children.

Same as kids didn’t manage to buy cigs then

Are we now on to banning alcohol for the entire population? Sheesh, this is going to be some list come the end of the day! 😆

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Nope. But then again nobody blows clouds of flavoured steam around the office with coffee do they.If you can’t see that then you never will. As I said just look at how much consideration people give these days when vaping.

johndoh
    Free Member

If it’s not dangerous it doesn’t matter, it’s personal choice, it should be left to the individual.

Am I missing something? Has anyone suggested banning them? I thought the discussion was around not promoting their use and certainly not allowing restrictions on the use of them in public places to be lifted (although many restrictions are self-imposed, not bound by law anyway).

seosamh77
    Free Member

Nope. But then again nobody blows clouds of flavoured steam around the office with coffee do <span class=”skimlinks-unlinked”>they.If</span> you can’t see that then you never will. As I said just look at how much consideration people give these days when vaping.

Spoken like a true coffee addict, no consideration for anyone.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Am I missing something? Has anyone suggested banning them? I thought the discussion was around not promoting their use and certainly not allowing restrictions on the use of them in public places to be lifted (although many restrictions are self-imposed, not bound by law anyway).

what do children have to do with that discussion?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Spoken like a true coffee addict, no consideration for anyone.

Errrr, the point being you have to poke your nose into the mug to smell coffee unless you’re in a coffee shop where they deliberately make the whole place smells of coffee to make you want it.

Would you like to ban fresh bread though, that’s the real ill in society.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Tea drinker here…… Do you have the long term impact studies of vaping yet? What is the 10-20 year health consequences?

what do children have to do with that discussion?

Children like to imitate and form habits of what is normal in society by observation. Normalising the use of e-cigs in public is a key strategy for the industry there. They want people addicted, they need them to be in order to in business.

seosamh77
    Free Member

poke your nose into the mug to smell coffee

no you don’t.

binners

poah
    Free Member

it is still a drug with high levels of addiction.  Shouldn’t be used in public places.  Shouldn’t be on prescription either.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Do you have the long term impact studies of vaping yet? What is the 10-20 year health consequences?

No idea, there is a possible risk. Agreed?

finbar
    Free Member

How am I taking things on blind faith? I’m asking for evidence of the risks, not really getting presented with anything other than, it might do, but we don’t know yet. I agree with that. There’s a risk, personally that risk is going to be better than smoking for me, so how hum. It’s all good in my case.

Well, you took it on blind faith from some article that vaping isn’t attracting kids, while the study that the Committee cite in their actual report on this states that “the proportion of young people ‘experimenting’ with e-cigarettes ranged between an eighth and a quarter of young people, but that regular use by secondary school children was limited to about 1%, and those children generally engaged in smoking behaviour”.

I interpret finding that 12.5% – 25% of kids are ‘experimenting’ must mean it’s quite attractive.

I’m not going to read the Association for Young People’s Health’s report and see what they mean by ‘young people’ and ‘experimenting’, and what their sampling strategy was, but feel free to go ahead and refute me.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Well, you took it on blind faith from some article that vaping isn’t attracting kids

I didn’t really, am sure some will, that’s a parental issue though, not really a concern when speaking of wider attitudes regarding adults. It’s comepletely irrelevant to the discussion and as mentioned it’s already illegal for kids to buy vapes. It’s just screaming, won’t someone think of the children…

I interpret finding that 12.5% – 25% of kids are ‘experimenting’ must mean it’s quite attractive.

and 1% suggests it’s not that attractive.

binners

Where does everyone stand on pongy cheese? Should be banned?

Nico
    Free Member

Why would we want to normalise to use of these products?

Because they help people give up smoking. Supposedly.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Fish, lets ban fish!

vickypea
    Free Member

If it starts being widely advertised and touted as “95% less harmful than cigs”, maybe more children will want to try it?

seosamh77
    Free Member

It’s kinda your job to control your kids, not mine.

finbar
    Free Member

It’s just screaming, won’t someone think of the children…

It’s not just that though, is it? The evidence the Select Committee cites on the long-term health effects of vaping is just as flimsy – well, actually they admit there isn’t any:

“There are strong uncertainties, nevertheless, especially about any long-term health effects of e-cigarettes, because the products have not yet had a history of long use. The studies needed to guarantee the safety of e-cigarettes are inevitably frustrated by the absence of a population of e-cigarette users who have never smoked conventional cigarettes before taking up vaping.”

mikewsmith
    Free Member

How about keeping the rules the same at the moment which says no vaping inside buildings, I can see many companies just keeping it as a policy even if the law was relaxed. I can’t see many transport companies wanting to relax the rules too as the vast majority of people don’t use this stuff and most people can mange a short amount of time without a hit. Like I said you want your hit inside try the gum or patches!!

What benefit is it to anyone to allow it inside?

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Where does everyone stand on pongy cheese?

QC area at the cheese factory.

Is this relevant ?

Bloody mps lobbying when they ought to be doing proper constituency stuff thats the wrongness.

binners

What about those plug in air freshener things?

They need banning!

In fact; **** it…. lets ban absolutely everything that isn’t inert and odourless!!!

seosamh77
    Free Member

What benefit is it to anyone to allow it inside?

tbh, I’m not particularly fussed either way, pretty much no-one ever notices me vaping and if they do on the odd occasion I’ll stop, so I don’t particularly care all that much. You do over egg the issues ridiculously though (mind you I do agree on the strawberry super clouds 😆 ).

Biggest benefit however would be to completely isolate smokers and encourage even more of a shift to vaping.

vickypea
    Free Member

I think indoor air fresheners should be banned. Not because of the smell but because inhaling chemicals is not likely to be healthy.

seosamh77
    Free Member

well, actually they admit there isn’t any

So what action should be taken on this complete lack of evidence? 😆

mikewsmith
    Free Member

In fact; **** it…. lets ban absolutely everything that isn’t inert and odourless!!!

We could just ban inconsiderate ****.

stevemtb
    Free Member

How do you propose I walk????

finbar
    Free Member

So what action should be taken on this complete lack of evidence?

Not make statements like e-cigarettes are 95% less harmful than tobacco, for a start.

Are you familiar with the null hypothesis, type 1 and type 2 errors, and which is more dangerous?

poah
    Free Member

Because they help people give up smoking. Supposedly

Methadone helps heroin addicts.

chestrockwell

As I mentioned before, if you want one as a stop smoking and quitting nicotine aid, as I did, you can get ones that give off little vape and bother no one. The fancy pants smoke machines point to the whole scene going in a completely different direction with people having no desire to give up nicotine and therefore be one step away from smoking again. No need to change anything, except they will because they’ll make money.

Moe

MP’s pushing these type of ‘initiatives’ should be the real worry! Get the populous wound up about allsorts of other stuff other than the democratic process that they are grandly arsing up!

…… Reading through the last few pages and elsewhere, seems to me they are managing the mess pretty well?

revs1972
    Free Member

Someone somewhere is thinking of money.

I think the whole thing is a ploy to make it socially acceptable, get as many people as they can to take it up, then regulate and tax the shit out of it .

nealglover
    Free Member

What is the 10-20 year health consequences?

I gave up smoking when I got my first ecig on the 4th October 2008. So will have been 10 years in about 6 weeks

Never been fitter or healthier.

Just passed a full medical and fitness test with flying colours, my results were that of a fit 30 year old, and I am 45. . I ride 200+ miles a week.

As a smoker I struggled to exercise at all, and weighed 4 stone more than I do now

I will check in again another 10 years though, just to be thorough.

👍

shakers97
    Free Member

They are repulsive vile things and people who use them look like they are playing a shit piccolo. At least smoking was cool.

alpin
    Free Member

Here in Germany I  work as an event chippy and one of my clients is a very large tobacco company. It’s not BAT, so the other one.

I could the stands for them.

They are present at all German political events. Behind the screens of the auditorium there is a large area given over to all the lobby groups or companies with a vested interest in the economy.

Audi, BMW, McDonald’s, the arms industry, the gambling lobby, etc….

Each of these companies or lobby groups are throwing money at the party to be there regardless of whether it’s a CDU/CSU, SPD, the Greens, FDP or even – in the earlier days of the party – the AFD.

The tabacco company used to have out free packets of cigarettes. Now that’s uncool so they havehand their version of e-commerce that burns real tabacco.

Tabacco advertising isn’t banned in Germany. Germany is the largest manufacturer of legal cigarettes in the EU.

Believe what you want about the health benefits of e-cigs, but don’t think that government came to the conclusions on their own accord…..

kerley
    Free Member

I gave up smoking when I got my first ecig on the 4th October 2008. So will have been 10 years in about 6 weeks

Whereas I gave up smoking 15 years ago and it made no difference.  I weigh more now than I did when I smoked and I am less fit (mainly because I am older).  If only I had started vaping I could have been so much fitter…

nealglover
    Free Member

Whereas I gave up smoking 15 years ago and it made no difference.  I weigh more now than I did when I smoked and I am less fit (mainly because I am older).  If only I had started vaping I could have been so much fitter…

aoddly enough, I’m older too.

But it was smoking 40 B&H a day that was preventing me from exercising and getting healthy. As a result I was fat unfit and unhappy.

Vaping allowed me to remove that barrier and get fit and healthy. Happy days!  No negative health implications either. 10 years so far and nothing whatsoever.

And I have a full medical annually that checks everything (for other reasons)

Someone asked for the 10 – 20 year health implications, and that is my experience (of the 10 year at least)

I’m not going to change anything about that situation, because it changed my life and that is pretty awesome.

Just because some people have a desperate need to feel superior, and they have decided to pick vaping to aim their impotent whining at.

Crack on whiners  👍

You sound like children who don’t get there own way, pretty funny but sad at the same time  😫

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 264 total)

The topic ‘E-cigarettes can be key weapon against smoking, say MPs’ is closed to new replies.