Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 264 total)
  • E-cigarettes can be key weapon against smoking, say MPs
  • slowoldman

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-45212444

Amongst the items up for discussion is “a debate on vaping in public spaces, such as on public transport and in offices”.

No thanks. They stink.

seosamh77
    Free Member

So do you. Can we ban you?

perchypanther
    Free Member

So do Fish and chips with salt and vinegar.

Anyone tries to ban those and there’ll be a reckoning

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    slowoldman

So do you.

How do you know? Do assume from my name that I stink of piss?

seosamh77
    Free Member

Can smell ye from here! 😆

milky1980
    Free Member

The big tobacco companies are involved in the Vaping game and they have massive power when it comes to lobbying.  They have lost the fight on keeping branded packaging and visible displays so it’s no wonder they are turning their attention to the E-cigarrette market and pushing the benefits.  The amount of E-Liquid shops around means there is huge amounts of money to be made and that means the big companies will have the motive to push the benefits and quash any issues.  Just look at how long they refused to admit that traditional smoking contributed to cancer.

You only have to look back through the history of tobacco marketing to find that they were once pushed as healthy!  It just smacks of the same thing happening all over again and that at some point in the future we will find something in the vapour that is killing people.  It may not be as severe as what smoking tobacco does to you but there will be something.  I may be rather sensitive to this as my mum is undergoing treatment for cancer after being a lifelong smoker, she is trying an E-cigarrette but it makes her feel light-headed.  If I could I would ban all things to do with smoking outright, it’s disgusting and causes far too much heartache to even begin to warrant it’s promotion.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yeah around here the no vaping on the tram platforms is regularly ignored. Though nobody seems to do it on the tram, but did have 2 people light up a proper cig on there last week – man that really stinks, so glad it’s not the norm now.

I’d still like to see them restricted, sold with the same restrictions on advertising as tobacco rather than flogging nicotine addiction like it’s the cool new thing.

tinribz
    Free Member

No thanks. They stink.

Of what, strawberries?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Of what, strawberries?

Yep clouds of sweetened or other crap flavourings, like an explosion in a crap sweet factory. It’s fine for you to have your addiction but no need to share it with the rest of us. Why would we want to normalise to use of these products?

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

i definately smell alot of bs when they talk about it helping ween smokers off cigarettes and forget to mention its also to gain new consumers ie attracting kids to vape

slowoldman

Of what, strawberries?

No, some sweet, sickly artificial rubbish.

johndoh
    Free Member

I avoid breathing in the smoke/vapour from both. I couldn’t care less which may or may not be the most dangerous to the health of users and those around them. I do care about not having to be subjected to either in confined places. It’s bad enough running the gauntlet of smokers/vapers directly outside the train station every morning (getting their fix as soon as they possibly can) never mind having to endure vapers on trains. Dirty disgusting habits both of them and the users should (IMO) be confined to only using either well away from other people – perhaps make them do it on derelict brownfield sites well away from the rest of us.

footflaps

Yep, should be banned from all public places….

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

The only issue I see with vaping is the visibility reduction when someone is driving! Don’t really see an issue with it otherwise, if it’s helping folk get off the fags, fire away.

perchypanther
    Free Member

The only issue I see with vaping is the visibility reduction when someone is driving!

I was seriously considering turning on my fog lights  despite it being a clear sunny day whilst following a car along the A71 this week.

The passenger in the car in front was pumping enough vape-reek out of the window to make his tiny Mazda appear to be a steam train.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Don’t really see an issue with it otherwise, if it’s helping folk get off the fags, fire away.

In which case it can be sold in plain packaging to adults from a chemist rather than being so heavily marketed to attract new users to prop up a business that kills it’s customers.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

In which case it can be sold in plain packaging to adults from a chemist rather than being so heavily marketed to attract new users to prop up a business that kills it’s customers.

Aye, I’m cool with that, do as they do in Canada with alcohol, only from regulated off licences. We could do it with drink too.

binners

I packed in smoking years ago, but fully. intend to carry on vaping in public spaces just to annoy you lot.

Principles need to be maintained.

you should be thanking me. Imagine if you had no petty stuff to bleat on and on about? You’d be miserable as sin!

perchypanther
    Free Member

Pretty sure that you don’t need to smoke or vape to annoy people 😉

Just be yourself

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I packed in smoking years ago, but fully. intend to carry on vaping in public spaces just to annoy you lot.

Principles need to be maintained.

It’s OK I think the smokers entitlement is strong still, almost as bad (whining & pathetic) as reading the MCN getting stuck into speed enforcement

martinhutch

So Public Health England has plucked a figure out of the air and claimed vaping is ‘95% safer’ than smoking, despite the lack of longer term exposure studies.

It’s all a bit

The problem is that you can’t push vaping too hard as a way to quit smoking without making it more appealing to people who have never smoked before. Legitimising it in public spaces would simply recruit fresh blood for nicotine addiction.

The only accurate assumption we can make is that the tobacco industry is universally evil, and if they are getting into the making/marketing of something we should be thinking about banning it, not encouraging it.

PrinceJohn

The thing I’ve noticed with vaping is it seems to me a lot of people who do it can’t put them down & have always got them to hand.
    Whereas with a cigarette you’d have one then you’re done for about 20 mins…

That & the contraptions just look weird.

trailwagger
    Free Member

It’s bad enough running the gauntlet of smokers/vapers directly outside the train station every morning

Really? have a word with yourself!

johndoh
    Free Member

Why? I find the whole thing foul. This probably stems from a childhood growing up in a smoke-filled house and hours sat in the back of a smoke-filled car. I honestly do not think there is a justifiable excuse to allow it in any public place.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yeah really, what is does show is how lazy smokers are in general and how little consideration they have for other people outside of their bubble/cloud.

Crowding the entrance/exit which everyone has to use as your vaping zone is simply inconsiderate to the greater population.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Why? I find the whole thing foul. This probably stems from a childhood growing up in a smoke-filled house

Totally understandable, I remember mates mum and dad smoking in the car, no windows down, kids in back. Horrific. Vaping isn’t smoke though, however I’m sure we don’t really know the long term effects of this, an unregulated industry.

iamtheresurrection

I don’t like cigarette smoke, but I’d rather that than the smell of nearly all of the vapes.

I can’t ever remember holding my breath when sat behind a cigarette smoker in a traffic or walking down the high street, but the huge white cloud of toffee apple or cinnamon coming out of a window or in front of you in the street is way more intrusive, and imo smells a lot worse. Horrible stuff.

kimbers

<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>Waaay less carcinogens in the vape, which make sthem much less of a worry for 2nd hand effetcs, so it may stink but not doing you  anywhere near the harm.</span>

For users potentially cause inflamation leading to problems like COPD & increasing cancer risk as well as through mutation increase, but again compared to traditional fags miles better

I wouldnt reccomend you start doing it but imo every smoker should be moved onto vapes

fasthaggis

I have never been a smoker,but some people could always make smoking look cool.

I always feel a bit sorry for people I see vaping,it just looks a desperate chore.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

smells a lot worse

Than fag reek?

Bizarre.

slowoldman

Waaay less carcinogens in the vape, which make sthem much less of a worry for 2nd hand effetcs, so it may stink but not doing you  anywhere near the harm

It’s the stink that annoys me. That and the fact that those of us who prefer fresh air can’t sit outside a pub now. We’re the ones who’ve been banished indoors.

kimbers

that was the case ever since the smoking ban

pub gardens have now become the smoking lounges vapes or fags, as an ex-smoker (well weed) I prefer the smell of vapes to fags

johndoh
    Free Member

some people could always make smoking look cool

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Totally understandable, I remember mates mum and dad smoking in the car, no windows down, kids in back. Horrific. Vaping isn’t smoke though

Neither is piss, but I don’t get off the train and take a leak in the middle of the concourse to relieve myself of the byproducts of my caffeine habit do I?

slowoldman

that was the case ever since the smoking ban

pub gardens have now become the smoking lounges vapes or fags, as an ex-smoker (well weed) I prefer the smell of vapes to fags

I’m well aware of that. Vaping doesn’t help. As iamtheresurrection points out it’s not just the stench it’s the copious output.
    <div class=”bbp-author-role”>
    <div></div>
    </div>

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Neither is piss, but I don’t get off the train and take a leak in the middle of the concourse to relieve myself of the byproducts of my caffeine habit do I?

That’d just be silly now wouldn’t it, comparing getting your old chap out in public to someone blowing out scented water vapour?…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

That’d just be silly now wouldn’t it, comparing getting your old chap out in public to someone blowing out scented water vapour?…

So what you’re saying is it’s not upto the person doing something unpleasant to deem it unpleasant, and people shouldn’t do stuff in public places that other people deem unpleasant?

Like fellating robocock.

paulmarshall

Never trust M.P.s to tell us what is good for us, remember it was M.P.s that told us we should all convert to diesel cars because they were better for our health. That ended well didn’t it. The committees advising them are so called experts, how many have taken money from the industry?

perchypanther
    Free Member

What about if, in the privacy of the train toilet, you pissed in a spray bottle and then  started skooshing clouds of piss around yourself on the platform. when the train  stopped?

That’d be a fairer comparison.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 264 total)

The topic ‘E-cigarettes can be key weapon against smoking, say MPs’ is closed to new replies.