Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 111 total)
  • E-bikes in sportives
  • simondbarnes

Now that BC seem to be all for being inclusive, isn’t it about time that they allowed the use of e-bikes in sportives. Thoughts?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yes.

Special category though.

TheBrick
    Free Member

I think you are deliberately trolling.

simondbarnes

Special category though.

Why does something that isn’t a race need categories?

I think you are deliberately trolling.

Why do you say that? Just interested in people’s views.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Sportive = not a race = no problem with ebikes.

TheGingerOne

I might be wrong, but not aware BC have anything to do with Sportives – not that I have checked, just assume they don’t.

chakaping
    Free Member

Do BC ban e-bikes from sportives? Most sportives have nothing to do with BC, surely?

Anyway, no skin off my nose – but that’s if people actually want to do it in the first place.

Bez

Wonderful idea, would love to see the average definitely-not-racing sportiveur’s reaction, given that it’s definitely not a race 🙂

Special category though.

“Dernies”?

andyl
    Free Member

[troll]But motorbikes have no place in a bicycle race[/troll]

😈

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Why does something that isn’t a race need categories?

I think to keep the proper cyclists safe.

If someone’s too lazy to even learn how to pedal a bike properly, I’d be doubtful if they’d learnt how to handle it down a hill or in a group etc.

It’s not a risk worth taking; separate categories and separate start times.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Ride what you like in a sportive it’s not as if its a race.

zippykona

I haven’t got an e bike can I do it in my car?

anagallis_arvensis

Ride what you like imo. Would seem a bit odd to me but I wouldnt really care.

simondbarnes

Do BC ban e-bikes from sportives?

I enquired about the possibility of organising a family leisure event / sportive and was told no e-bikes when asked if they’d be allowed / covered under the provided insurance cover. It was going to be a fairly low key thing, mixed on / offroad and didn’t want to exclude anyone who may be interested in riding.

Most sportives have nothing to do with BC, surely?

Lots are.

thomthumb
    Free Member

I’d be doubtful if they’d learnt how to handle it down a hill or in a group etc.

this has been an issue for me on my commute. Bikes coming towards you round an S-bend, they have no experience handling a bike at 15 mph. especially if it’s an electrified ductch bike – not exactly set up for swift handling.

tomhoward

Done a couple of on/off road ones, a few people have been on ebikes

It’s not a race and the law defines them as bicycles. Why wouldn’t they be allowed?

chakaping
    Free Member

Lots are.

You mean lots are insured through BC? That’d make sense.

Dunno if Cycling UK do event insurance but I know they are pro-ebike, for reasons of inclusion as you alluded to yourself.

mickmcd
    Free Member

would an e bike not be flat after 20 miles

simondbarnes

would an e bike not be flat after 20 miles

Only if you whacked it in turbo mode from the off and rode like a dick 🙂

tomhoward

Depend on the power mode used/if it’s used all the time. Reckon mine could do 50+miles if ridden frugally

Plus extra barreries if needed

woollybackpaul
    Free Member

Starting at the back on an unrestricted one is the only way you’d get me to do one. Sounds like excellent fun.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Can’t see why not as it’s not a race. It’s just a nice day out in the county

jonnyboi

Yep, let em in I say

scotroutes

I’ll pay good money to the first person to stand in front of Lee Craigie and tell her she didn’t win the Etape Loch Ness Sportive.

vickypea
    Free Member

Folks with disabilities excepted, I get that people have ebikes because they can’t be arsed to put some effort into getting fit. However, I can’t understand why a perfectly able-bodied person would want to take part in something that’s about a physical challenge if they’re not physically challenging themselves?

jam-bo

I’ll pay good money to the first person to stand in front of Lee Craigie and tell her she didn’t win the Etape Loch Ness Sportive

Travel expenses too?

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

If all e-biker entrants were confirmed to be limited to 15.5mph, I don’t see the problem, in what is essentially supposed to be a social ride and not a race.

They don’t hand out awards to “podium” finishers, do they, at a sportive? 😯

One of the biggest issues would be ensuring there weren’t secret button combos that derestricted the motor.

chvck
    Free Member

I’ve done a 70+km hilly offroad ride (mid Wales) on my levo and had battery left. I expect that I could get near 100km offroad so imagine it’d be doable on road.

rOcKeTdOg

Given the amount of requests to “fit this chipping kit” we get i can’t see why not 😕

thecaptain
    Free Member

Last mass-start ride I did had e-bikes. Don’t really see the problem. Don’t think it was actually called “sportive” but it was a marshalled ride.

aP
    Free Member

There were quite a few people riding e-bikes when I last rode the Maratona dles Dolomites in 2015. Also 2 guys riding them at Tuscany Trails 2016.

amedias
    Free Member

If all e-biker entrants were confirmed to be limited to 15.5mph,

You do know they’re not limited to 15.5mph right? That’s just the speed the assist stops at…you can still pedal (or freewheel) them faster.

I’m assuming the OP is referring to closed road sportives in particular, because on an open road one there’s nothing to stop any Tom, Dick, or Harriet from riding the same route at the same time on any road legal machine they want, so the only thing you could possibly ban them from doing is crossing your ‘finishing line’

chakaping
    Free Member

You do know they’re not limited to 15.5mph right? That’s just the speed the assist stops at…you can still pedal (or freewheel) them faster.

Quite true but I assume he just meant no de-restricted ebikes, which should be a given from any organisers’ POV as they’re no longer legally bicycles.

Given the amount of requests to “fit this chipping kit” we get i can’t see why not

I hope you respond with a withering stare.

😀

Bez

on an open road one there’s nothing to stop any Tom, Dick, or Harriet from riding the same route at the same time on any road legal machine they want

Oh, I dunno, I find that accidentally stumbling into a sportive is pretty guaranteed to stop me riding whatever route they’re taking 🙂

RustySpanner

Anything that annoys the fantasists is fine by me.

It’s not a race, so bring it on.

scud
    Free Member

I’ve done a number of sportives and i always think of them as personal challenges, not races, if you’re at the front end, then maybe it is really competitive.

For me it was sub 6 hours for 100, then sub 5 1/2 hours, then sub 5 hours. Then events like Dragon Devil to see if a big lad that lives in Norfolk could ride 180 miles and 5000m of climbing.

Plus when i first moved here, sportives were a way of meeting people and finding some good local routes.

So i think they are what you make of them, i think if you are unfit, it is better to start with 30 mile event, then work up to 50 etc rather than just get straight on an e-bike, but each to there own, it’s about enjoying it and getting out, better to ride an e-bike 100 miles than sit on a couch typing furiously at a keyboard

JoB
    Free Member

If someone’s too lazy to even learn how to pedal a bike properly, I’d be doubtful if they’d learnt how to handle it down a hill or in a group etc.

they’ll fit right in then

smell_it
    Free Member

As has been noted, it’s not a race, so I wouldn’t have any issues with them being in.

taxi25
    Free Member

, I can’t understand why a perfectly able-bodied person would want to take part in something that’s about a physical challenge if they’re not physically challenging themselves?

Me neither but thats the world we live in.

in what is essentially supposed to be a social ride and not a race

No their not “supposed” to be purely social rides. You can make them what you want them to be. A good proportion of riders treat them in a very competitive manner. Times are published, and they enjoy comparing their efforts to other like minded riders. A bit like strava leader boards. I wish people would stop sneering at this, if it’s not you just do your own thing.

tjagain

legal e bikes won’t be a huge help in sportives unless its very hilly given they cut out at 15 mph giving you just a heavy bike above this speed

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 111 total)

The topic ‘E-bikes in sportives’ is closed to new replies.