Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • E-bikes, carbon rims, spokes…
  • rickmeister

Just purchased an E-fatbike so brose motor with good torque figure and tyres with loads of grip…

Plan is to swap existing tubeless carbon rims onto the new frame so the question is anyone had issues pulling spokes through or similar with non-alloy rims on e-bikes?

Carbon rims plus the torque of the motor and very grippy tyres, any problems?

cnud
    Free Member

Had Blueflow carbon rims on a Levos since 2016 no problem. Ran Minions and ewilds with plenty of Peak District and bike park hammer.

Tracey

Not had a problem with mine on the Turbo Levo, Been on a couple of year and busted one spoke with a rock strike. Running mine on 27.5+ and 2.8 tyres, Daughter has 29 rims on same bike with 2.6 front 2.3 rear. Both sets have had quite a bit of use with no problems.

rickmeister

All good, thanks.

argee

Not had an issue with mine, and not treated the very nicely over this winter.

I am struggling to see where the extra torque would cause an issue on the spokes/rim as i’m not seeing a huge increase in the actual force or impulse being applied to that area during a normal ride?

el_boufador

I would have thought you could put a lot more absolute torque through a hub under hard braking on a normal bike than you can under drive on an ebike.

Maybe there’s a fatigue angle on largeish amounts of power for long periods though (for metal components)

Paceman
    Free Member

…what El_B said above, surely the weight of a big rider braking hard will put far more torque through a wheel than a eeeeb motor?

argee

Yeah, and the many other factors, my ebike takes longer to brake than the normal bike, so force is over a greater timescale, i doubt there’s a huge amount in there to cause ebikes more issue with spokes with all the factors added?

cynic-al
    Free Member

What elb said

convert

Carbon rims on an E fatbike. You must be so far into marginal gains territory there that the infamous BC machine would be scratching their heads in wonder.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘E-bikes, carbon rims, spokes…’ is closed to new replies.