Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 87 total)
  • E bikes being charged double
  • DezB
    Free Member

Isn’t it annoying how so many emojis just show a blank squares on this site? Cos Edukator’s story made me properly laugh, but I can’t tell if he put a happy or a sad face at the end! 😀 <- (a grin)

davosaurusrex

I’m not sure that not paying attention is exclusive to e-bike riders. Although we are all very fat so don’t stop easily.

martinhutch

A torn achilles tendon and various cuts and bruises

made me properly laugh,

You’re a monster. 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    40mpg

The charge is so they can build berms on all the climbs so the e-bikers don’t power off the edge.

No need to get e-rate 😉

wwaswas

annoying how so many emojis just show a blank squares on this site

they work for me. It was a sad face. Although an enigmatic black square sounds good too.

Edukator
    Free Member

It’s a sad face, I felt really guilty about it. J-L is one the good guys on this planet and spent a couple of months hobbling around because I hadn’t looked over my shoulder before stopping. It’s funny to read but none of us laughed as it happened, one of those falls when you know the outcome isn’t going to be good.

geex
    Free Member

Hmm… thanks Weeksy. I guess it’s no longer owned by forstry anymore then? So fair enough they charge whatever they want.
    Discrimination against the disabled isn’t cool though 😉

Edukator’s story made me properly laugh

Really? Don’t go and see live comedy or search youtube for “fail compilation” you’ll probably have a siezure

DezB
    Free Member

Or I might laugh eh?

I’d feel bad about J-L’s injuries, but I don’t know him.

Edukator
    Free Member

but I don’t know him.

Exactly, if it helps he’s French too. 😉 The Russian drivers’ shouts and curses as they wait for the inevitable impact are some of my favourite Youtube moments. I realise this makes me a very bad person.

There are bridleways throughout Gethin woods from the back of the visitor centre. Free to ebikes.

There, I’ve said it now.

tjagain

All scottish trail centres are free to use. You pay for car parking.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Does BPW have a turnstile or something? Haven’t been since way before it exited (Gethin Forest pk).So I’m wondering what’s to stop me just eebing in and riding the trails? (some of which, if thy’re still there I helped build)

Not really no, you need to put a little plasic band on your bars, but it’s not actively enforced you wouldn’t be able to get on the uplift without one, even if you wanted to pay-per-lift.

I will admit in the past to riding without one, they used to start the kids club at 9, but not open the ticket office till 09:30 (and there’s always a big queue) so to get a lap or 2 in whilst Jnr was in kids club I used to sneak up at 9. (kids club comes with a ‘free’ day pass for adults anyway).

philjunior
    Free Member

Seem to remember it being per bike up at Golspie.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Discrimination against the disabled isn’t cool though 😉

not all e-bikers are disabled though.

Maybe showing a certificate of disablement should exempt you from the extra fee, and maybe showing a cert of disablement should also entitle you to some sort of tax break when buying the bike ?

TheGingerOne

Surely it’s only a problem until the motor bearings wear out and they then find that you need a whole new motor and baulk at the price and give up riding leaving the trail centres to ‘normal’ bikes?

* I have no idea if this could happen

oikeith

Having someone go past me on a hill on an E-Bike doesnt bother me, its pedaling up a hill and people pushing up not getting out the way that is more annoying.

Maybe if I get an ebike I could actually run them over…

tomhoward

All scottish trail centres are free to use.

The vast majority of all the UK ones are. it’s just the DH/park ones that run an uplift as part of their business model that charge. (other than parking etc)

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Who lifts the ebikes onto the uplift rack?

An eCrane

‘e Man.

Does ‘e have the power? 😆

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

My local trail centre is £25 a year, parking is free.

tjagain

No0beer – where is that? Its basically illegal to charge for access to land in Scotland – my guess is thats a parking fee not a pay to ride.

ajaj
    Free Member

“illegal to charge for access to land in Scotland”

That’ll be handy next time Scotland are playing at Murrayfield or I fancy a quick spin around Knockhill or a round at St Andrews.

chiefgrooveguru

“Got an ebike, no issue with being charged more, seems fair enough to be honest.”

Ditto. I’m not sure what I’ll do next time I go to BPW. Either take the e-bike or strap 10lbs of lead to the downtube of my normal bike to make the suspension work as well as the e-bike’s…

tjagain

I have walked and ridden around st andrews golf course – access rights apply. Obviously not at murryfield or knockhill as that is not land where access rights apply nor is it paying to access the land

ajaj
    Free Member

“not land where access rights apply”

The point I was trying to make is that neither is a trail centre. Land Reform Act (Scotland) 2003 6 (1) (e).

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

No0beer – where is that? Its basically illegal to charge for access to land in Scotland – my guess is thats a parking fee not a pay to ride.

Kelburn estate. Parking is free, always has been. We pay 25 quid a year, they built and maintain the trails. Sure we could all just ignore them, ride it anyway, then they’d stop the work and we’d all suffer.

It must be odd to live in your world, where everything is black or white, legal or illegal.

tjagain

ajaj – actually (most) trail centres are land where access laws apply. NO trail centre in scotland has been shown to be “land set aside for a particular purpose”. Even if they were then access rights still apply like they do on golf courses.All the seven stanes are open access land

No beer – so a voluntary contribution to trail building then? seems reasonable. Its not a charge to access the land. It cannot be by my understanding of the law. Where is scotroutes – he knows this stuff better than me 😉

squirrelking
    Free Member

Past tense there Nobeer, did you not see that post last year? Obviously wasn’t making enough money.

I don’t care if ebikes overtake me on the uphills, what does annoy me is arseholes battering their way through without as much as a warning.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, circumstances have changed SK, Nick that did most of the building is gone, but I just like to challenge Tj and his know everything statements.

cbike
    Free Member

People pay to go cycling? and the Gym? and Play 5 aside?

Weird.

It’s actually free.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

People pay to go cycling? and the Gym? and Play 5 aside?

Weird.

You are free to go cycling where ever you want to, if however you want to go and ride a bike on some top man made trails that require a lot of effort to build you are entirely free to exchange cash for that, you could even try a truffle shuffle in front of the ticket queue if you want, or see how much that chip on your shoulder is worth.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Yeah I know, was kinda hoping you were going to tell me I was misinformed and there was a change of plan.

hopeforthebest
    Free Member

“You are free to go cycling where ever you want to, if however you want to go and ride a bike on some top man made trails that require a lot of effort to build you are entirely free to exchange cash for that, you could even try a truffle shuffle in front of the ticket queue if you want, or see how much that chip on your shoulder is worth.”

Whoosh

geex
    Free Member

hahah
    C’mon NoBeer that’s hardly a challenge now is it?

😀

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

😂 @ geex

Unfortunately not Squirrelking, I think they have realised there’s no money in MTB and will go back to focusing on the horsey set, drunk pheasant shooting set and the manky looking glampistas. 😊

squirrelking
    Free Member

Ah well, back to Dougie Park it is. Wonder if anyone would notice a run down the hydro pipeline?

mashr

Dougie Park is a blast from the past!

wrightyson
    Free Member

Let’s be fair, you could easily ride bpw without paying a penny.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Let’s be fair, you could easily ride bpw without paying a penny.

Add Inners uplift to that too…

Hydro pipeline SK? Tbh, the trails at Kelburn won’t disappear, We’ll probably do a bit of work on them, as will the Fairlie lads, and there will be no closing for winter as there was before as per the estate rules.

I only ever use it as a couple of last runs after coming off the moor anyway, it’s not big enough to justify a whole ride there, shame really, as it had the potential to be much bigger if they’d followed through on their initial plans to go right up beyond the tree line.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Yeah the buried pipeline from Bellsdale up to the dam at the Gretas. The track is an absolute shocker with zero drainage so nobody walks up there, it’s passable in summer but otherwise a mudfest. Put in a bit of drainage though and you could probably sculpt something out of it albeit in a straight line…

Dunno about keeping trails going, I know people were wanting to build in there for years with no joy, I imagine they wouldn’t be above wrecking everything to keep folk away. As you say it’s a shame as the land doesn’t particularly lend itself to trails despite the elevation. Lots of gravel though.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I may email the estate just to see what nonsense they come up with! 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘E bikes being charged double’ is closed to new replies.