Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • E-bikes and fitness gains.
  • sillysilly
    Free Member

I would have thought it would correlate to any time crunched HIIT or polarised data from normal cycling. Plenty of data out there from Wattbike / TrainerRoad etc.

Assume you will be in recovery / power zones 1/2 for pedal assist / ups.

For you downs / efforts you’re going to hit zones 4-6 and max out pedal assist. Maybe pushing more if sprinting.

The fact it’s an ebike is mostly of little consequence.

Aidy
    Free Member

I reckon if you really focused on fitness gains, ebikes might be advantageous in that you could really empty yourself with interval efforts, knowing that the motor has your back for the rest of the climb.

But then, any kind of focused and structured training is always going to be better for fitness gains than just casually riding.

MadBillMcMad

totally anecdotally & not based on anything scientific, but I am yet to observe an e-mtber riding & looking like they are actually exerting themselves.

perhaps it is just me & I am looking through my e-nvious goggles

kayak23

You’re seeing them on the climbs, not the downs.

I’ve been borrowing a mates one recently. Went for a ride the other day with two recent eeb converts who are very fit, very good climbing, very fast downhill mtb riders.

I was knackered! The pace was kind of relentless. No real waiting around at the top of trails, slightly reluctant to give up all that height you’d worked so hard for, just straight into trails and putting maximum effort into the downhills.

Often then either spinning away on the fireroad climbs where you get a slight rest, or at the other end, lots of effort again up technical climbs.

It’s just different riding. Most folks are saying it looks easy because they’re comparing climbing on both types of bike.
    It’s really in the downhill that you expend most effort on an eeb imho.

Ever done a long day of uplift and been absolutely spent by the end? Well, it’s like that.

Ever done a day of bricklaying and builders labouring? It’s like that 😂

Sure, you can ride an eeb like you’re going to the shops, but if you’re a fast, aggressive rider on an mtb, then you’ll be the same on an emtb.

weeksy

I was knackered! The pace was kind of relentless. No real waiting around at the top of trails, slightly reluctant to give up all that height you’d worked so hard for, just straight into trails and putting maximum effort into the downhills.

Often then either spinning away on the fireroad climbs where you get a slight rest, or at the other end, lots of effort again up technical climbs.

It’s just different riding. Most folks are saying it looks easy because they’re comparing climbing on both types of bike.

Ever done a long day of uplift and been absolutely spent by the end? Well, it’s like that.

I think you’d need the right terrain for that. Locally that simply wouldn’t/couldn’t happen as we don’t have downhills like that, trails like that. Most of the trails are slightly undulating or even mostly flat, they’re not like riding BPW in any way shape or form. I couldn’t carry more speed on the DH sections that i can now, even on a motorbike, they’re just not suited for that.

kayak23

Most of the trails are slightly undulating or even mostly flat, they’re not like riding BPW in any way shape or form. I couldn’t carry more speed on the DH sections that i can now, even on a motorbike, they’re just not suited for that

I wouldn’t agree. They’re different sure, but not suited? No, you won’t be faster on one run from one bike to another, but you might get faster by virtue of the fact you’d be doing more runs.

The terrain I had the other day had a lot of old school undulating and flat trails, but with some downhill trails maybe under a minute too, but you know, more of them.

On the flatter undulating trails I found that we were just attacking more. With the extra weight you defo feel that it’s not quite so nimble and so a lot of the effort is flicking it about through tight wooded sections. What you do have is momentum. Where you then have slight uphill sections, you’re going for it on them too.

You’ll certainly feel the difference more in more hilly areas but actually, they’re great on flatter trails too.

We had a young lad on an xc bike follow us into a trail. I’m sure he was trying to prove a point against us lazy old ebikers. He was fast actually. We were impressed particularly as I don’t think he had a dropper.
    Thing was though, at the bottom, he stopped for a rest, and we took our rest spinning up for the next run.

I was very often getting over the 15mph limiter on sprint sections, but then the slower, nadgery sections became a lot of fun too.

It’s different.

el_boufador

I’d agree with that. I remember after I first got mine I took it to a local DH place and spent 2 hours relentlessly winching & plummeting.
    I was absolutely battered by the end of it, just not in a cardio xc way.

speedstar

It’s what I have mine for as I live in the tweed valley all the climbs are fairly long and I will often only get 3-4 proper descents in during 3-4 hours riding. Two weekends ago I got around 12-13 proper long descents in just under 4 hours riding. The other thing I do is only put it in the level above eco on the Bosch motor if I really need to. It meant I was working very hard on ascents but still going quicker.

If I lived in low rolling country I personally don’t know if I’d get as much out of an e-bike as for me it’s about quickening the ascents so I can plummet more. But a lot will depend on the style of riding you do normally and the way you use the bike. If you want fitness try using the lowest power level you can get away with. They are so heavy you will most definitely get an adequate workout plus probably tackle climbs in a much more aggressive manner than you would otherwise.

Mintyjim

I am absolutely blowing out of my arse at the end of an ebike ride!

15mph cut off is tiny, then it’s you and a heavier bike.

On my ebike I am giving everything on the descents – which are the bits I love – and also trying my best on the technical uphills because they’re a hoot.

As a result most of my time is spent out of the support range. I live in Wales so longish boring fireroads for access is fairly normal which is where I let the motor do its thing.

I’m definitely stronger and fitter, but then I also bought a smart trainer in Dec 2020 and have been using that before sitting in my home office.

If you hadn’t guessed I love mine but then I’m time poor – demanding job and young kids – 43 years old and love food and drink so it’s the perfect tool for me.

chiefgrooveguru

“ totally anecdotally & not based on anything scientific, but I am yet to observe an e-mtber riding & looking like they are actually exerting themselves.”

Maybe it’s actually that you only realise it’s an ebike when they’re going uphill effortlessly and if they’re puffing and panting you assume they’re on a normal bike?

I just find it hard to believe that I’m only ebiker who chooses to work hard uphill!

julians
    Free Member

I just find it hard to believe that I’m only ebiker who chooses to work hard uphill!

I find it quite surprising how slow a lot of ebikers go uphill, and its not because they’re with a friend on a normal bike, but they just seem happy to amble along at normal bike speeds – maybe they’re saving battery? I go past some of them like they’re standing still when I’m on my ebike.

speedstar

You soon find if you stick it in turbo everywhere you run out of battery very quickly! I find eco on the gravel roads is more than adequate for still flying along. Think it’s part of the misunderstanding that all e-bikers are going everywhere in turbo?

mcnultycop

This is the most respectful e-bike thread I’ve seen on STW; it’s beautiful to see.

Kip

@mcnultycop I agree. I’ve learnt a lot on this thread and admit to being envious of the ability to ride the uphills with less effort (local riding spot is on a ridge so ebikes are very popular).
    I can see one in my future, just not yet as that sort of money will go to a house move which will save my sanity more than a new bike (but that’s a whole other thread!) and I like my current bike.

martymac

I definitely got fitter and lost some weight after I got my ebike.
    Not because they cause you to work harder, but more because they are easier to ride, which meant I could actually get out more.
    Easy riding makes someone fitter than no riding every time.

oikeith

This is the most respectful e-bike thread I’ve seen on STW; it’s beautiful to see.

Its annoying as a time poor parent now an ebike would suit me down to the ground for when I’m allowed an hour or so for a ride, just need the boss to okay spending money!

birdage

I only got mine because a knee injury left me feeling battered and not enjoying the ride like I used to. Been great, not only made me feel bionic but also helped my recovery and fitness. I now ride my other bikes more. I only ride the ebike when it’s blowing a gale, the wrong sort of mud or the stars aren’t aligned properly.

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘E-bikes and fitness gains.’ is closed to new replies.