Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • E-Bike upgrades
  • sarell
    Free Member

Afternoon all,

Hope you’ve had a good Christmas.

I’ve had about a decade off bikes – I used to race XC, I lived in Morzine working and racing, but crashed on a race that tore my left inner thigh and nuts (oh it still hurts + needs injections every year) which kept me off any pedal bike as cycling re-tears the muscle!!

All until I got an e-bike as a test – Merida e-120
    I’ve now done 1700 miles this year – although 1000 of those were drowned in guilt of having to have the assist on all the time – though I did restrict the eco mode massively to make me feel like I was cycling!

Anyway, I want to upgrade the bike, any have an idea on below;

1 – It has Shimano XT 2 pot callipers, will I get a more firmer leaver through upgrading to a 4 pot on the rear – there’s no air in it, it’s been bled and only running standard hoses -??

2 – does anyone h=know of a way to have a ‘powerpack’ with me for when the battery wears out – in summer I can get it to 50 miles, and about 28 in winter on the slop, but I need to find a way to carry a reserve charge without carrying a spare battery on some trips

Sorry for the long intro, I always feel like I need to justify why I have an e-bike!

Look forward to hearing from you

Elliott

footflaps

Lots of Ebikes do extender batteries which fit in a bottle cage and plug in somewhere…

bowglie

Can’t offer any advice regarding the range extender battery, but can on the brakes.  I’d definitely recommend some decent four piston brakes. I’ve got 2 piston SLX brakes on my 14.3kg analog bike and 4 piston SLX’s on my 22kg ebike.  The ebike has 200mm rotors front and rear, and the brakes are strong, but not eye-popping – they still need a really firm squeeze to stop the bike quickly (I weigh 90kg with all my winter gear on).  Comparing my analog and ebike, I’d say the brakes feel about equal – but I would want anything less powerful than the four piston SLX’s on the ebike!

HTH

dhrider
    Free Member

Having rode an E-bike with Shimano Deore 2pot brakes and then upgrading to SRAM Guide RE’s (4 Pot), the difference is night and day.

I wouldn’t ride an E-bike with 2 pot brakes again.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

does anyone h=know of a way to have a ‘powerpack’ with me for when the battery wears out – in summer I can get it to 50 miles, and about 28 in winter on the slop, but I need to find a way to carry a reserve charge without carrying a spare battery on some trips

Finds place halfway round the route to stash a second battery you’d only have to carry the latter half of the circuit.

couchy
    Free Member

There are some range extenders out there, as I recall BMZ make some but there are others.

doomanic

The range extender packs don’t really work with bikes that have an external battery. They are also not very good value if you look at the cost/Wh.

There are several packs like the XLC that are designed for carrying a spare battery.

biglee1

If you plan on halfway being a cafe stop buy a fast charger, lighter and cheaper than another battery. I got a bosch one when I got the bike, very handy unless your battery isn’t bosch 🤔
    Aftermarket brake discs are getting to the 220mm mark, work getting one and seeing how it feels, I’ve got magura mt7’s on my cube and they’re a rather good 4 pot 😍

sarell
    Free Member

Happy new year guys.

Thanks for the replies.
    I’ve ordered a rear 4 pot XT calliper.
    I don’t feel I need it on the front as the lever feel is crisp and out on the trails I rarely use the front, but do rely on the back more.

I’ll look in to the battery options, i’m tempted to change the rear cassette – it’s an 11-46!!
    last one I bought was 11-32 and I know I don’t use the top three gears of the cassette.

All the best

hols2
    Free Member

I don’t feel I need it on the front as the lever feel is crisp and out on the trails I rarely use the front, but do rely on the back more.

The front brake is the one you use when you really need to stop. If the front has a good, crisp feel, but the back doesn’t, then the problem is most likely that the rear hasn’t been properly bled. The longer hose with a lot more bends can make it difficult to get all the air out of a back brake.

CheesybeanZ

Front brake for stopping, rear brake for skidz.

bikerevivesheffield

I *think* smudge at MTB batteries can do extender packs?

survivor

crashed on a race that tore my left inner thigh and nuts

🤔

sarell
    Free Member

thanks, i’ll google it now

All the best

sarell
    Free Member

I’m a lot slower now!!!!

Poopscoop

Can I just say op, you’ve got to be the politest poster on stw!

sarell
    Free Member

thanks

hope you’re well

Poopscoop

See what I mean!?👍

Yeah, all good here my friend and a belated Happy New Year!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘E-Bike upgrades’ is closed to new replies.