Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • E bike that dont look like one?
  • ton

fancying ebike for offroad fun….. but I don’t want one that looks like one, if you get what I mean.
    I don’t want folk pointing and saying, ‘oh look, the fat bloke is on a e bike’.
    I couldn’t deal with the embarrassment.

so e bike, but in disguise ideas please.

jam-bo

New commencal looks pretty svelte.

geex
    Free Member

Try http://www.Growapair.co.uk

or lose weight

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Focus is where I’d be looking.

Daffy

geex

Try http://www.Growapair.co.uk

or lose weight

…this could be fun 🙂

djflexure

I was out with somebody on an electric Focus road bike this week and it looked great, apparently rides really well too. If the MTBs are as good then worth a look.

ton

that commencal is nice

sharkattack

It’s between this and the Commencal for me

Not that I need one yet. I’m not ready to give up on life.

weeksy

They both look brilliant… but DAMN that’s a pile of change isn’t it !!!!

Ton, ignore the muppets, if it’s the difference between being on the sofa and being outside, then i’m 100% with you 🙂

feed

Pains me to say it , but that YT looks nice.

bruneep

Pains me to say it , but that YT looks nice.

No water bottle mount tho.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Hate to break it to you, but they are going to know you are the fat guy on an ebike soon as you start horsing everyone! 😆

fathomer
    stumpy01
    ton

all look nice. just not sure I can live with the embarrassment and piss taking.

colp

There’s no embarrassment and I’ve not experienced any piss taking (to my face anyway). Mine’s obviously an ebike too.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

WGAF big man, if it means more descending and fun times, go for it. And anyway, all the self righteous, anti e-bike bawbags will be on here talking shite, not out on the trails. 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

I’m sure Ton’s being tongue-in-cheek, but I was riding at Gwydir last week and a couple of fellas on ebikes passed me on the main climb.

I gave a cheery hello and one replied “sorry I’m on a cheating bike” or something like that.

If you’re reading this, chill out mate – I’m not judging you (and was a bit envious as it was my third or fourth time up the same climb).

I’d have said it at the time but they were moving pretty fast, obvs.

the-muffin-man

No water bottle mount tho.

…it has a built in kettle for mid-ride brews!

big_scot_nanny

Akshully, if you look closely, there is a water bottle mount on the YT. It’ll be a wee bottle, mind, but if thats the only thing stopping anyone – procrastinate no more!

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Not that I need one yet. I’m not ready to give up on life.

Does that mean if you ever ‘need’ one you would be ‘giving up on life’ if you bought one?

If so or if not it either way/nonetheless reminded me of a cyclist I recently met who had a seriously disabling/limiting medical condition from a botched surgery that meant regular bike-riding was out and so he was getting rid of all of his bikes. He was appalled at my suggestion that he trial an ebike to enable him to keep riding. To him, that would be like ‘giving up’. So instead he doesn’t ride at all. Er…

Also, Martyn Ashton? – Allegedly giving up on life, as you see:

roverpig

Anything with that big motor down by the BB is going to be pretty obvious to anybody who cares about such things I’d say. I think the only one on the thread so far that I wouldn’t immediately spot as an ebike is that Lapierre. Is it a hub drive or something?

One other thing to consider if you really care about such things is that most of the ones I’ve encountered make a pretty obvious noise. Then there is the fact that you are cruising past people on the climb without breaking sweat, but I guess you could fake that 🙂

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I want that ezesty

z1ppy

TBH mtb-ers tend to know already but non-cyclist just don’t realise*, even when you have an obvious battery.

I’ve just replaced a Vitus E-Sommet with a Spesh Levo, couldn’t be happier with both, but would recommend buying from a local bike shop (with e-bike knowledge/experience) & make your decision based on what they sell! The Levo is such a much better put together package, has a more subtle look than the Vitus, though the vitus was a weapon but the original bike I bought spent 8 week back with the mail order supplier.

* unless you acting like a dick on turbo, or a de-resticted bike.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Get an e-fat bike.

They’ll be so horrified by the tyres that they won’t even notice the battery.

bruneep

Akshully, if you look closely, there is a water bottle mount on the YT. It’ll be a wee bottle, mind, but if thats the only thing stopping anyone – procrastinate no more!

You sure about that? https://www.emtbforums.com/community/threads/water-bottle-for-decoy.6516/

couchy
    Free Member

Get one, the only people that take the piss or make comments are cyclists. Nobody gives a shit what cyclists think so it doesn’t matter 🙂

escrs
    Free Member

I had a Spesh Levo and loved it, now have a Spesh Kenevo and love it even more

I kept my normal bikes for around a year but never really used them all the time the e bike was sat there ready to go

I ended up selling my Transition Scout, Patrol and TR500 as the Kenevo can do everything they could do, 30 mile xc rides to full on DH sessions it just eats it up

I do like the look of the YT but the only thing that puts me off is lack of UK warranty repair, if there are any issues with the motor or battery the whole bike has to go back to Germany to be fixed

With Specialized if you use the right dealer (aka Berkshire Cycles for me) your bike is fixed the same day whilst you wait!

bikebouy
    Free Member

I like the Commencal one.

Do they do more XC oriented ebikes?

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

The Cube range looks really nice, no sign of any battery which adds to the looks.
    https://www.paulscycles.co.uk/435/products/2019-cube-stereo-hybrid-140-pro-500-275-electric-fs-mountain-bike-blue.aspx

sharkattack

Does that mean if you ever ‘need’ one you would be ‘giving up on life’ if you bought one?

Urgh, I knew I’d end up explaining myself.

I’ve long been sticking up for e-bikes on here against the “all e-bikes are motorbikes” brigade.

I don’t have one but I can see how they might help maintain my motivation to ride all year. Especially through the 9 months of winter when I’d usually be lying on my back drinking Stella in a cloud of Dorito’s dust.

Got some life stuff going on but as soon as we’re settled and I’ve got some pocket money I’m going to have a closer look.

EDIT: That Lapierre is grotesque.

chiefgrooveguru

“TBH mtb-ers tend to know already but non-cyclist just don’t realise*, even when you have an obvious battery.”

That’s been my experience.

Also, if you frequently ride an ebike your mates will assume you’re on the ebike when you’re not, especially if that bike has a big downtube.

singlespeedstu

just not sure I can live with the embarrassment and piss taking

Really mate?
    Didn’t think that was your style.
    Id got you down as more like someone who drinks from one of these.

As said above anyone that knows what an ebike is will know anyway and no one that’s not a mate will say anything to you anyway.

geex
    Free Member

Maybe someone could make Ton a thin suit to ease his anxiety?

NZCol

^ I want that mug

ton

Really mate?
    Didn’t think that was your style.

I started the thread to shoot fish in a barrel…….. ;o)

eddiebaby
    Free Member

^ I want that mug

Get the poster:

iainc

Focus Jam2 6.8 Plus. This was a demo 2019 one, I have a 2020 on order 😜

Mister-P
    Free Member

Akshully, if you look closely, there is a water bottle mount on the YT. It’ll be a wee bottle

Wow, that’s fancy. I just stop and go in the bush.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘E bike that dont look like one?’ is closed to new replies.