Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • E-bike servicing
  • vmgscot

Just looking at giving the girlfriends ebike a service. I am competent at rebuilding/servicing all the ‘normal’ bike parts (geartrain, suspension, linkages, etc) but this is the first ebike I have looked at. Are there any recommendations for looking after the e-specific parts? Clean and protect connectors maybe, etc? Anything to check for?

It’s a Shimano E8000 based system on a Merida e160-10k.

julians
    Free Member

If all the electrical bits are still working fine, then dont touch ,leave it alone.

There’s nothing really user servicable in the motor or battery, all you can do really is ensure that the electrical contacts where the battery meets the bike are clean, so maybe spray some contact cleaner on them and clean up any corrosion, but if its all working fine, its likely to be clean in that area anyway.

kayak23

For deeper servicing and repairs.
    Ebike motor repairs

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    argee

I tend to take covers off, check for any water or dirt and clean up, check the wiring looms and connectors for any damage or corrosion, then clean up where required, put some corrosion defence on if you can, works as a barrier layer.

Check other bits as well, battery and terminals, again clean and put barrier spray on it.

Always worth taking the chain off and feeling the pedals turning for any notchiness or issues, bearings can be worn or damaged, if this occurs then there’s a fair few motor refurbishers and repair shops around.

Shouldn’t be too much hassle overall, i’d avoid any predictive maintenance style mods, like putting waterproof compounding over the connectors unless ingress is an actual issue, again the motor is a pretty basic piece of machinery, same with the controller and so on, most issues i’ve found is down to bad design and bad QC, so show up pretty quickly during ownership!

vmgscot

Thanks.
    Everything is working fine, was just thinking of any pre-emptive winter prep so will just check obvious accessible contacts only. We have plenty switch cleaner and dielectric lube in the truck workshop I can ‘borrow’.

chiefgrooveguru

The only thing my Levo seems to need (over and above a normal MTB) is to clean the ferrous particles off the speed sensor and battery connector – they’re both are magnetic and pick up the bits that wear off the chain and cassette.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘E-bike servicing’ is closed to new replies.