E-Bike preaching, aren’t we over this yet?

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 378 total)
  • E-Bike preaching, aren’t we over this yet?
  • Premier Icon funkmasterp
    Subscriber

I’d love one, but won’t get one for one good, one debatable, one shallow and one outright silly reason.

1: Too expensive.

2: I’d forget to charge it and the battery would die (I’m looking at you watch, phone, laptop, torch, headphones and tablet).

3: They are really **** ugly. Every one I’ve seen looks like an orange 5 that’s eaten all the pies.

4: They aren’t steel hardtails

greyspoke

this thread can’t really be complaining that EMBN posted a video about Electric mountainbikes….. can it?

I’ve some some stupid in my time. But that’s impressive 😆

No it isn’t actually. That wasn’t what the OP was about (read it) nor is it what most of the thread is about either (which is the same old bollocks – and I wouldn’t suggest reading it).

I thought the OP made an interesting point.

Premier Icon sirromj
    Subscriber

I won’t be engaging with any e-bike preaching.
    DOH!

Premier Icon eddiebaby
    Subscriber

chiefgrooveguru Member
    “I remember back to the early 80s when all the Windsurfing and Surfing mags were inundated with adverts for these new fangled bikes called mountain bikes”
    In my old job I remember being quite confused when taking on a client called Surf Sales who solely imported mountain bike stuff…

I’m pretty sure they imported Mistral at the time as well as DaKine and loads of other brands back then (and subsequently a whole lot more).
    But yep, MTB was seen as the saviour of surf shops as you could pop in and buy a few bits whereas for windsurfing and new fin or UJ was about all the accessories you’d sell. Boards mag even had a regular MTB supplement. It made sense for importers as they already had reps out on the road, so why not?
    I think it did impact on windsurfing to a degree but then the sports diverged enough that it didn’t matter.
    Back to the e-bikes rants discussion.

Premier Icon bruneep
    Subscriber

Quick question: the legal limit for e-bikes in the UK is that the motor won’t provide any assist beyond 15mph, right? Anyone know what the power output (in W) is, generally?

grannyjone

eBikes – a bit like derailleurs.

Good for the weak and infirm elderly.

A bit like Uplifts then ?

grannyjone

The ramblers, who are already upset that you’re sharing paths with them, are more upset when you blast past at 15mph than they are when you puff past at 3 (or are pushing). Those same people who are organised, have a history of campaigning for their rights and are local councillors in their spare time.

Regular bikes can already blast past the ramblers at 15mph or greater – flat sections and descents.

grannyjone

They are also slower than a human powered bike if the human is a very fit one which cannot be said for any motorbike.

I don’t think any human could possibly keep up with me on an E Bike if it’s a hilly course. The turbo mode gives 400% assist FFS.
    It was flying up steep off-road climbs.
    I was getting KOM’s everywhere when I temporarily set it as a regular bike ride. Apart from on the Descents, where I was only mid table!
    On a flat course a human could be faster though, because of the 25kph cut off.

grannyjone

There seems to be a real culture in ebike to shout its merits at whoever you can, whenever you can.

Completely agree – everyone who I know who owns one does exactly that.
    Not to mention a well-known channel on youtube.

bigrich

I want an ebike tater. as in potato, warmed on the motor.

Premier Icon LAT
    Subscriber

I still have a problem with accepting everyone who started mountain biking after I did as they are clogging up the trails, upsetting the ramblers and terrifying horses.

i also dislike anyone who started hiking or horse riding after I started mountain biking because I was there before they decided to clog up the trails.

But what really boils my piss is people who travel from cities into the countryside and clog up the trails, regardless of how they clog up the trails.

however, if I were walking or riding a horse in the woods I wouldn’t consider myself to be clogging up the trails  even if I started walking after they did. Or if, heaven forbid, I was visiting from a city

ebikes  I couldn’t give a shit about for the simple reason that they move quickly enough to not clog up the trails.

Premier Icon epicyclo
    Subscriber

grannyjone

A bit like Uplifts then ?

Surely it’s only the disabled who use those.

This forum needs a TIC (tongue in cheek) emoji. 🙂

kerley

I don’t think any human could possibly keep up with me on an E Bike if it’s a hilly course.

Literally 10’s of thousands of people could beat you on a hilly course on the road. Not one of those people could beat you if you were on a motorbike, which was my point.

Premier Icon tomhoward
    Subscriber

Literally 10’s of thousands of people could beat you on a hilly course on the road. Not one of those people could beat you if you were on a motorbike, which was my point.

Plenty off road too. As a feat of human strength, putting out 250w for a couple of hours isn’t exactly the bleeding edge of what’s possible.

Can we merge this thread with every other e-bike thread? Cos it’s exactly the same almost word for word.

zissou

So many epinions.

I’m saving up for one – look great! Get the climbs out the way quicker!

Surely it’s only the disabled who use those.

And cars. Cars for all journeys including shopping 3 miles away.

Premier Icon colp
    Subscriber

I’m saving up for one – look great! Get the climbs out the way quicker!

Exactly! I always take the time when I’m riding mine to stop and tell people all the benefits. It’s the least I can do.

Premier Icon timbog160
    Subscriber

I love mine – it really boosted my fitness when I first got it, and got me back into riding non e-bikes. I don’t ride it that much now but it’s always great fun when I do…

Oh, hang on….

grannyjone

Plenty off road too. As a feat of human strength, putting out 250w for a couple of hours isn’t exactly the bleeding edge of what’s possible.

Bollox I was getting KOM’s everywhere on the climbs when I temporarily set it as a regular bike ride.

I wasn’t relying on a tail wind and I wasn’t in any pain or discomfort either! Just a relaxed easy pedal up the hills and smashed the times anyone had ever done it on a regular bike with lots of time to spare. Plus we’re talking 3 hours of riding time on turbo on the spec Levo.

BTW I only temporarily set it as a regular bike ride to see where the E Bike would stand up compared to regular bikes. I didn’t leave it like that as that’s cheating. Not that it would have lasted long anyway – my strava entry would have been flagged. It would have stood out by a mile that I was on an E Bike – KOM’s on all the off road climbs, mid table on the descents!
    Plus I was getting an average speed of 20kph on a very hilly off road course with Gates!!! Who the hell gets that on a regular bike.

I’m not sure how an EBike works exactly but I think its a constant 250W PLUS the Power I’m putting down as well. It’s only downfall is the 25kph cut-off but if its a very hilly off road course then that doesn’t become too much of an issue.

You definitely need the right sort of route to maximise the advantages of the EBike though

scruff

On Monday I saw a man trying to get an Ebike through one of those V shaped access gates that stop motorbikes but you can just wheelie your MTB through. It took him about 10 seconds to struggle the front wheel up, he than had to engage walk mode which meant he just kept smashing the pedals into the side of the gate. I reckon it took him 30 seconds in total, so does that time get added to strava segments?

Premier Icon iainc
    Subscriber

^^^ sounds like operator error to me 😜

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

Bollox I was getting KOM’s everywhere on the climbs when I temporarily set it as a regular bike ride.

Well it’s 250W plus whatever you put in. An easy climbing effort is about 200W which added onto the eBike gives you 450W which is pro TdF levels of power, albeit with much more weight.

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

Relevant, though I’d like to see it repeated with a random biffer off here piloting the ebike…

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

turbo mode gives 400% assist FFS.

Are ebikes not limited to 250w max? I think that’s about the most I’d manage on a hard effort over a number of minutes – if I was doing an enduro stage or going for a Strava segment for example.

So in that case the ebike would give max 100% assist, wouldn’t it?

solamanda

I’d like to add that I’m offended when bike parks with uplifts are advertised to pedal cyclists*.

*I’m pretty sure there is car advertising aimed at cyclists, they definitely have engines.

Premier Icon richmtb
    Subscriber

embn selling the merits of ebiking

Thought it was worth repeating this gem before considering whether this thread is worthy of further consideration

philjunior

I’d like to add that I’m offended when bike parks with uplifts are advertised to pedal cyclists*.

*I’m pretty sure there is car advertising aimed at cyclists, they definitely have engines.

I like cars, but not any of the cars I’ve seen advertised in bike mags, which are overweight oversized **** buckets for people who need a car to show people what sort of lifestyle they aspire to lead.

To be fair, ebikes are far better than that. I’d like an ebike (just not an eMTB – but I don’t mind if anyone else wants to ride one as long as it’s legal). I see the OP’s point though. They’re a profitable niche (cos people can go “oh, far more expensive but it’s got a motor so fine” rather than “oh, far more expensive because all the bolts are made of unobtanium shaving 2.13g off the weight”), but they are being marketed to death – in very much the same way as SUVs/crossovers that the bike mags all seem to advertise, which have their own set of issues – and are far worse but a symptom of the same thing.

It’s a broad church, I don’t think there’s anything really wrong with the ebikes, just the profit led marketing from what, once, felt like an industry that was customer led.

kerley

Not bollox at all. You stated “I don’t think any human could possibly keep up with me on an E Bike if it’s a hilly course.” That means an overall ride on a hilly course not just the climbs. Even on the climbs you would not leave a very fast road rider behind and the rest of the ride (the flat bits) you would be left for dead.

teanosugar

For anyone who is “offended”

trumpton

it will be interesting once they come onto the second hand market to see how long they last for.

“I’m pretty sure they imported Mistral at the time as well as DaKine and loads of other brands back then”

If you’re referring to the early ‘80s, I wouldn’t know, I was still in playgroup back then! I was dealing with Surf Sales etc in the mid ‘00s.

chevychase

@Kerley:

Even on the climbs you would not leave a very fast road rider behind and the rest of the ride (the flat bits) you would be left for dead.

Seems you didn’t watch the vid on relatively flat Dalby above then did you…

kerley

Is Dalby a hilly road ride?
    Doesn’t look like it…..

chevychase

Tell you what @Kerley – why not narrow down your parameters even more to demonstrate that emtbs in no way give fat unfit people a mahoosive boost, and that their powerful electric motor is in no way different to leg-power, and they’re not, by definition, motorbikes eh?

But yeah, I’ll concede that if they get above the ebike limit really fit people can tonk unchipped ebikes. (But they ain’t doing that on any really hilly road ride – on a flat one, yep, but not a hilly one.) And as we can see from people on this very forum, removing that limit is a popular old past-time isn’t it…

grannyjone

Relevant, though I’d like to see it repeated with a random biffer off here piloting the ebike…

That course is designed for the XC Bike though. Gradual climbs. No proper off road stuff apart from on the descents ?
    Try the same test on a proper ride in proper hills. Grassy climbs, rocky uphills and other rough surfaces. Steeper gradients.
    The EBike would seriously pull away from the Pro XC rider.
    Not to mention the E Bike can sustain this for 3 hours solid. Not just for 10 minutes as seen in the vids.
    I’m pretty sure if I’m on an EBike I would be able to beat anyone on a regular bike up an off road steep climb, unless it was beyond my technical ability.
    These things seriously fly uphill if you leave them on Turbo mode and put a lot of effort in yourself. Up 12%-20% climbs you can be from ground level to the sky in just a few minutes.

chevychase

They say that in the video @grannyjone – that if there were proper hills involved the ebike motor would make it a comparative breeze.

That’s my experience in the peak – ride a *lot* around there, and I ain’t slow uphill. People on ebikes laugh and chat whilst screaming past on the hard climbs. Fat old men riding up the beast (I’ve only ever seen one person do that on a normal bike – some whippet like 17 year old).

N00b-safety issues asside – all power to them if that’s their thing. However, the gripe is we have to read about motorbikes in mags and forums previously dedicated to human powered cycling and we have to listen to ebikers lying to everyone about how great they are for fitness, when they’re self-evidently (and scientifically) not…

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 378 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.