Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 383 total)
  • E-Bike preaching, aren’t we over this yet?
  • deanfbm
    Free Member

Yet another video put out by embn selling the merits of ebiking, pick many an ebike video on YouTube, whether it be sam pilgrim or average Dave, flavoured with a twinge of insecure preaching even riders out on the trails. Quite happy to see the conclusion gmbn presenter came to, they’re fine, just stop telling me they’re the best form of mtbing.

Ebikes are great at what they do, theres no questioning it, they’re their own fun. Had an ebike, sold it and got a dh bike, something way more pointless, I have some fun way less often, but when i have the fun on the dh bike, or even the trail bike, the fun is 10 fold, quantity versus quality. Do i feel the need to ramn in people’s faces that what I’ve chosen is the best, no, that’s just silly.

colp

Yeah but they’re ace

imnotverygood

I missed the bit where they forced you to watch the video.

simondbarnes

Do i feel the need to ramn in people’s faces that what I’ve chosen is the best, no, that’s just silly.

And yet you’ve started a thread on the internet to do that.

Riksbar

Ok, you’ve convinced me. I wasn’t going to but I’ll buy one now.

chevychase

It’s because it’s where all the sales are.

MBR misrepresented the only real meaningful scientific study on ebikes and health (that they’re shite for your health unless you’re completely untrained and sedentary) – by saying “we interpret it as they’re great”. So I asked the missus to cancel the sub.

Where there’s money to be made (and there is – a lot) – and bike industry mags and forums are reliant on the industry for income then expect nothing less than unremitting positivity around ebikes and the dismissal of people who don’t want motorbikes being sold via channels which were previously about a 100% human-powered sport as “haters”.

Nothing wrong with being a hater m8. There’s plenty to hate.

deanfbm
    Free Member

I like watching bike videos, whether it be an amazing ride in a stunning place, views on kit or a shreddit, so clicking on a ebike video this is what I’m looking for, an entertaining bike video, not someone trying to preach to me how much better one form of bikes is better than the other.

Or when you’re chatting to a rider on the trail, I dont need to hear why your day is going so much better than mine because you’re on an ebike.

There seems to be a real culture in ebike to shout its merits at whoever you can, whenever you can.

montgomery
    Free Member

No hate here. Mild contempt, possibly.

ton

i have yet to watch a film about e biking. infact i dont watch many films about biking in general.

i do like ones about bikepacking in nice quiet locations.

scotroutes

No hate here. Mild contempt, possibly.

Hmm. I’m thinking more pity – tinged with a certain amusement at the range of excuses folk come up with to justify owning one.

singlespeedstu

I try not to give a shit what kind of bike anyone else rides as it has **** all to do with me and **** all impact on me.
    Those dicks that strap half the contents of Millets to a bike are the worst though.
    WTF has camping got to do with riding a bike. 🙃

ta11pau1

Yet another video put out by embn selling the merits of ebiking

You know EMBN stands for ‘Electric Global Mountainbike Network’ don’t you?

Wouldn’t be a very good channel if they released videos saying ebikes are shit, don’t bother buying one… 🤣

northernsoul

Where there’s money to be made (and there is – a lot) – and bike industry mags and forums are reliant on the industry for income then expect nothing less than unremitting positivity around ebike

That’s not restricted to e-bikes though – hifi mags have the same issue. It’s just something you bear in mind when reading them, and you read around to get more than one viewpoint.

ton

WTF has camping got to do with riding a bike. 🙃

nothing, but everything.

singlespeedstu

Ton.
    I refer you back to what I said.

I try not to give a shit what kind of bike anyone else rides as it has **** all to do with me and **** all impact on me.

It aint for me so i don’t constantly check for Milletsbiking threads and post on them telling people how wrong they are.
    Ride round with a tent tied to your bike?
    You knock yourself out mate it’s **** all to do with anyone else…

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Do i feel the need to ramn in people’s faces that what I’ve chosen is the best

10 fold!

Joking aside, people make vids about products, they rattle on about shit for clicks and ad revenue. Internet makes this easier, faster and cheaper to produce so all niches will soon have someone banging on 24/7 subscribe and like…

kerley
    Free Member

i have yet to watch a film about e biking. infact i dont watch many films about biking in general.

Agree although I watch quite a lot of stuff related to bikes, mainly street BMX but some road and cross. I never, ever watch anything about e-bikes as they don’t interest me at all. Not really difficult to avoid after all.

footflaps

I missed the bit where they forced you to watch the video.

🙂

ton

It aint for me so i don’t constantly check for Milletsbiking threads and post on them telling people how wrong they are.
    Ride round with a tent tied to your bike?
    You knock yourself out mate it’s **** all to do with anyone else…

stu, what the **** are you on about.

all i said was

as in i like seeing bikes being ridden in nice locations. where the **** did i mention riding round with a tent on my bike.

but you stick to your cheating bike mate, if it makes you happy.

martinhutch

*Milletsbiking*

Could catch on.

tomhoward

*Milletsbiking*

Could catch on.

Looks like handbagsbiking is having a bit of a surge at the moment…

singlespeedstu

Who am I cheating ton?
    I some times ride an ebike I more often ride one of my several other bikes.
    And yes they all make me happy.
    I don’t ride round with a boat a tent and a cooker strapped to my bike though as that’s not for me.
    But if Onion likes it that’s great for him.
    It was a light hearted retaliation to his post so wind youre neck in you big daft lovable git.
    😜

martinhutch

Looks like handbagsbiking is having a bit of a surge at the moment…

As long as the handbags come with multiple attachment points, I’m in.

Poopscoop

No dislike of ebikes here. Only thing that would really kill the hobby for me is if “normal” bikes became completely unobtainable but I don’t see that happening.

I really hope not anyway. 😟

chakaping
    Free Member

Give us a link to this annoying preachy ebike content OP.

I don’t watch a lot of ebike-related content, but I do dip into Steve Jones’ stuff now and then for old time’s sake. He doesn’t seem too needy about it all.

Shall we have a sweepstake on how long until Ton starts a thread asking for ebike buying advice?

epicyclo

eBikes – a bit like derailleurs.

Good for the weak and infirm elderly.

🙂

ton

Shall we have a sweepstake on how long until Ton starts a thread asking for ebike buying advice?

might i remind you, i was on a ebike for a couple of years before they bacame the latest must have.

like epicyclo said, good for the weak and infirm, like i was back then

Poopscoop

ton

Totally with you on that one ton. Don’t watch any other videos on bikes really.

taxi25
    Free Member

You know EMBN stands for ‘Electric Global Mountainbike Network’ don’t you?

Wouldn’t be a very good channel if they released videos saying ebikes are shit, don’t bother buying one… 

So true, definitely not an e-mtb fan so to avoid exposure I never log on to EMBN or other sites like it. They can take over the world and I’ll be happily oblivious 😎😎

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Motability Bikes eh?

You know all the ‘chunky’ people being carted around on floating chairs in Wall-E? I bet they started on E-bikes.

Good for the infirm, embarrassing when being ridden by people who consider themselves physically fit.

Poopscoop

Ride what you like as long as you enjoy it.

What else is to be said?😁

colp

Good for the infirm, embarrassing when being ridden by people who consider themselves physically fit.

My hero, swoon

chevychase

That’s not restricted to e-bikes though – hifi mags have the same issue. It’s just something you bear in mind when reading them, and you read around to get more than one viewpoint.

This is true @northernsoul – but at the same time, you don’t see hi-fi mags trying to cross-sell you televisions, whilst calling people who don’t like televisions being sold in hi-fi mags “haters”, and the people who have bought these televisions saying it’s the same (or even better) experience as listening to music through their hi-fi.

Motorbikes <> non-motorbikes.

taxi25
    Free Member

Ride what you like as long as you enjoy it.

What else is to be said?

I think there is a debate to be had about e-mtb’s and how they work on mixed use trails and in the countryside in general.
    Bur that’ll never happen on here. It’s pick a side and slag the opposition off. This thread is going to form already.

supernova

I don’t mind what people ride and ebikes look like fun, I’d love a go on one.

But powered vehicles have no place on paths and bridleways. I’d like to see England adopting the same kind of enlightened attitude to bike use as Wales where footpaths are concerned and ebikes aren’t going to help that cause.

Trekster

Supernova
    Some fit cyclist are capable of pedalling their bikes faster than an ebike
    https://www.gov.uk/electric-bike-rules

To the other “haterz” would you deny someone like myself @65 the privilege and pleasure of being able to continue to enjoy riding in the Lakes as I did this weekend? I have friends with health issues such as heart conditions, hip & Knee replacements, cancers etc. Why do you wish to stigmatise, bully etc…. If I was better educated I could use better language
    I would buy one tomorrow if I could afford a decent one, instead I may have to give up due to auld age and aching joints
    So, to all you “haterz” just pause and think about what your future holds.
    I was going to say you are all a bunch of ……..
    But I wont😂

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

But powered vehicles have no place on paths and bridleways. I’d

Quite right , you wouldn’t want anything that puts out some horse power on a bridleway , oh hang on a minute .

Trekster

http://www.dmbins.com/riders/news/can-mountain-biking-support-good-mental-health
    There is a whole lot more to biking in general
    Stop the media hype & judgment, bullying😖

Trekster

EDIT | REPLY | REPORT
    Ramsey Neil

But powered vehicles have no place on paths and bridleways. I’d

Quite right , you wouldn’t want anything that puts out some horse power on a bridleway , oh hang on a minute .

👏 200bhp 4×4 🤔

I have friends who are horse carriage drivers, should they be banned?

chevychase

Yes – there is no right to drive a horse-drawn vehicle on a bridleway.

So they’re already banned.

Ebikes are motorbikes, plain and simple.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 383 total)

The topic ‘E-Bike preaching, aren’t we over this yet?’ is closed to new replies.