Viewing 9 posts - 81 through 89 (of 89 total)
  • E bike commuters- how’s it going?
  • v7fmp

@pat12 – is your bike all sorted now?

How are you finding the rear hub motor? I am looking at an Orbea Vibe which uses the same system.

would be keen to hear your thoughts!

desperatebicycle
    Free Member

First post-Covid ride today. Damn it was windy. I wouldn’t have made it on my usual bike! And I don’t think I’ll need the motor on the way home 😀

pat12
    Free Member

@pat12 – is your bike all sorted now?

How are you finding the rear hub motor? I am looking at an Orbea Vibe which uses the same system.

would be keen to hear your thoughts!

Its fixed and on its way back to me (i hope!)

Its hard for me to say as i’ve not ridden an alternative motor but i really like the bike as it looks just like a standard bike – i think if i stripped out all the ‘e’ parts, battery ect it would actually still be a nice enough bike.

As i understand its a harder system to de-restrict if you wish and the devices available only give a 20% increase but i’m happy as is.

v7fmp

@pat12 – cool, glad its all fixed. I havent ridden any other style bikes, so if i go with it in theory i will know no better.

Thats what i like about this setup, everything is ‘normal’ apart from the rear hub. I am just curious about longevity of the hub and/or maintanence.

jkomo

Little update…
    So the Giant fast road thing I have kept cutting out, so I emailed Pauls cycles and a technician got back to say I needed to adjust the lock tightness (or take it to a LBS at their cost). For a quicker solution I squeezed a peice of inner tube in at the top when I put the battery in, stopping any vibration and pushing it down on the connector. This totally sorted the problem until I adjust it properly, although I might not bother.
    I changed my route from a relatively flat grind in to Oxford to one of the hilly side routes. What a revelation, the hills meant I was either going up under assistance or flying down the other side. It also took me off the main road, and through some lovely scenery.
    I can’t wait to ride in again now.
    My dodgy wrist is struggling a bit even though I put some carbon bars on, so I might try more swoop, and I might stick a Brooks saddle on I’ve got knocking around.

simondbarnes

although I might not bother

Get it sorted. One of the biggest causes of problems with e-bikes is incorrectly adjusted battery mounts.

jkomo

Oh right, I will then. Cheers.

jkomo

Update
    The bike has been a massive ballache, constantly adjusting the battery mounts at least once mid ride.
    Anyway I put some strips of foam floor tiles in to fill the battery compartment and it seems to have done he trick. Not happy I’ve had to bodge a brand new bike.
    Anyway the bike is fulfilling the brief, I can ride in pretty much every day, biggest week so far is 180 miles. I arrive hot but not drenched, and the spring mornings are a joy, I also arrive home feeling happy and full of energy, when I drive I’m exhausted and fall asleep dribbling on the sofa. Not ridden in torrential rain yet though. As others have mentioned you can wear heavier waterproofs without getting too hot. The panier bag also means I can take shoes, waterproofs, sandwiches in which is ace.
    Petrol prices means I’m saving £200pm so feeling pretty happy.

desperatebicycle
    Free Member

Thankfully my leg’s recovered enough to commute on the gravel bike again. Much quicker recovery than I expected and I think the ebike helped with that.
    Best thing about commute on the ebike was taking the offroad home route, getting home not knackered.

Viewing 9 posts - 81 through 89 (of 89 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.