Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 89 total)
  • E bike commuters- how’s it going?
  • Superficial
    Free Member

Is that because the ebike would have slower tyres and/or worse aero?

Yes – I’ve only ever ridden MTBs as far as eBikes go and if I ever got an eBike, it would be a fat tyre heavy cargo bike thingy. But I take your point – perhaps there are drop-bar skinny-tyre eBikes that would be ideal for commuting. I’m not comparing apples with apples because the appeal of an eBike for me is to replace the car for more than just commuting. Obviously I didn’t actually mention any of that…

those that do currently commute, how do you carry stuff? IE your lunch, work clothes, whatever else you need? Panniers or a back pack?

I use a rucksack (Osprey commuter-centric one). Toolkit, spare lights and showerproof jacket in there permanently + laptop, lunch, shirt, underwear. I shower when I get to work otherwise it would be impossible for me (I sweat a lot). I’ve used panniers in the past, but didn’t like the extra width or the feel, nor the idea of my laptop being subjected to every bump in the road. BUT this question comes up on STW regularly and most people seem to prefer panniers IIRC.

simondbarnes

those that do currently commute, how do you carry stuff? IE your lunch, work clothes, whatever else you need? Panniers or a back pack?

Panniers make sense to me, to avoid a sweaty back, but having never used any, i could be wrong!

Pannier

gowerboy

jkomo

The thing is, I really want to do it more for my mental health- being stuck in a car for 45 mins then in the shop all day, then car without breathing fresh air or being outside is no good for me. I used to leave so early for work id avoid the traffic then go to the gym, so the ride in would replace that. When I get home after driving I pretty much collapse on the sofa, riding home I’m buzzing, but the 39 mile round trip is too much everyday.
    I’m going to set up ride to work and buy one.

That makes perfect sense. Go for it. I was definitely an ebike skeptic but when I worked out what they offer and got one, I found it complements my other cycling really well and I love riding it. Especially when I know that I would otherwise be in the car.

jkomo

Been looking at the Kinesis flat bar Fazua bikes, they look perfect. Just need to find a medium.

Maybe I’ll convert one of my bikes till I can get one.

tom7044

I would recommend panniers, I used to use a rucksack and is fine but there is something nice about not having a heavy bag on your back with laptops and clothes when on the road. A combination of comfort and not feeling weighted down as much. If the aim is to cycle as much as possible then make it as easy and enjoyable as possible. Was about £100 for a set of panniers but was worth it in my opinion and just click on and off the rack so no faff. Panniers also gives capacity to have option to carry a bit of shopping or swimming kit etc to do other things on journey.

Regarding cut off speed I have a bosch 2018 performance model and is pretty seamless transition, the power tapers gradually so the main give away is the noise of the motor. I find I pedal pretty much continuously for the whole ride at a comfortable cadence for me, if I drop below the limit then the motor gets me back up to it, once beyond it is just like a heavier bike. Definitely still get a workout, just faster overall and legs not as drained at the end of the week. This is with hybrid tyres not mtb tyres.

andyv
    Free Member

I commute on a Cannondale Topstone Neo (drop bar, skinnyish tyres). Predominantly cyclepaths and lanes from 20 to 30 miles each way depending on season and how wet I’m going to get. Bosch Performance CX motor, 500wh battery. Bike all ‘commuter’d up with mudguards, rack, panniers, and gaterskin tyres.

I got bored with the 15.5 limit very quickly as was slower than my proper bike (though much more sustainable for consecutive day commutes). Chipped it so could set own assist limit. Normally set around 22mph as I still gotta pedal and the motor is less effective on the little cog at the back. Speed is fine on the early morning pedestrian free commute, am happy to sit up and knock off the speed at busier times/sections as I would on a proper bike.

Can do the 21mile route both ways on a single charge, eco on the way in, tour on the way home and a bit to spare at the end. On the sunny summer days with the 30mile route I take in the charger for a top-up unless I go eco both ways. Going in by eco is fine, but the ride home is best done with a bit more power for the pleasure of it and am more tired after a workday. Plus the hills are at the end!

I still think ebikes are the spawn of the devil there to steal the purity and joy of spinning around in near silence under your own power. But am fully and hypocritically sold on the whole future of personal transport thing.

Just rode proper bike in this morning (being social with a mate). Comparing to ebike 21mile route commute last week, ebike took about 15% off ride time and used about 20% less calories.

In summary, love the ebike commute and has definitely reduced car use. Makes it easier getting out on the shit days as it is easier and quicker. Plus not so wiped out when I get home so evenings aren’t a write-off. Proper bikes still used for joy.

kilo

As mentioned on a couple of threads, the secret is to leave as much stuff at work as possible. I have shoes and a selection of coats which never come home in my office so the commute is just lugging the basics which will fit in a carradice saddle bag on a sqr mount. I have now got a bar bag for miscellaneous small bits and pieces (office pass, phones, keys etc). I used a courier bag for a while but only dig that out if I have to carry a laptop , which is very rare for me. A back pack is a definite aesthetic no as it will make you look like a nodder, the lowest of the low in commuting. Mrs Kilo uses panniers and carries a lot more stuff than me and she really likes them – she also has a longer commute and does it more regularly.

igm

Is there anywhere you can rent / demo an e-gravel bike?

I commute a couple of days a week on a PX Tempest (even though it’s all road, the surface, panniers, laptop & clothes make gravel a more practical style of bike).

Over the 20 miles I average 16mph in the winter, and maybe 17-18 in the summer – less in wind or rain.

There’s only a couple of climbs – a 10%er that takes me down to 8mph loaded with work stuff, and another one that drops me to 11mph.

Sitting near 16mph on the climbs and flats, bumping up to 30-40 on the descents and doing it more days a week appeals – but I’m not sure I believe it.

Can I try before I buy anywhere?

Superficial
    Free Member

@andyv that’s an interesting insight, thanks.

Comparing to ebike 21mile route commute last week, ebike took about 15% off ride time and used about 20% less calories.

How is that calculation reached? Forgive my ignorance, but surely the eBike is putting out more power than that? As a total guess, even on eco mode it’s gotta be putting out 100W? So unless you’re putting out 400W for your commute, there’s no way the eBike is only contributing 20% of the work? IANAeB

p7eaven
    Free Member

A back pack is a definite aesthetic no as it will make you look like a nodder, the lowest of the low in commuting.

I’m not sure what a ‘nodder’ means, but I commuted for years with a regular small rucksack. There has been no cycle-commuting ‘in-group’ at any place of employment to date (have always been the sole cycle-commuter) so I haven’t had to worry about fashion. I discovered the joy of not having a sweaty back once I fitted a rear rack and rack-pack or panniers.

I think you’ll find that in the UK at least you are viewed as an extreme oddity/lower life-form simply for riding a bike for transport, and no-one cares or knows about your luggage options.

martymac

I have an ebike with panniers.
    Because the bike is so heavy, the panniers are totally unnoticeable.
    Far better than a backpack imo/ime.

p7eaven
    Free Member

Because the bike is so heavy, the panniers are totally unnoticeable

Weight is more efficiently carried on the bike no matter what, even if the bike is not particularly heavy.

Carrying loads on the bike vs shoulders also means less weight compressing your undercarriage too, which can only be a good thing.

kilo

I’m not sure what a ‘nodder’ means

Rucksack, gym shorts, rugby socks, trainers, road bike stuck into higher gear so nods with the effort of pushing the pedals, usually jumps red lights but if not pushes to the front of the queue of cyclists and then gets in the way when the lights change, probably a junior accountant or project manager, high chance he’s called Josh 😉

p7eaven
    Free Member

@alan1977

Would also like to know how you carry stuff?
    id like to sort my commuter out with a permanently bagged up set of wet weather gear.. on a bar bag maybe?

Probably nailed it in one. Uo to you of you prefer a bar bag or a saddlebag or a framebag. I’m looking for a bar bag (probably going with a Carradice Super C) because it’s quick and easy to pull up and grab what you need (ie rain jacket, camera, phone, keys, snack/fuel, that sort of stuff) without dismounting. It also has a waterproof map pouch and I do still use paper maps at times when exploring. Latter is also handy for a phone or something if said phone isn’t too watertight but needs quick access/to be viewed.

I also have a Blackburn Outpost medium frame-bag which carries 5.8 litres when expanded. More than enough for wet weather gear. It can easily carry my heavy duty poncho and lunch. Or a kagoule, lock, toolkit etc.

@kilo
    ah, then ‘nodder’ just sounds like some very specific entitled and rude person (possibly known to you) who also happens not only to wear a rucksack whilst cycling but also some clothing of which you disapprove 😉

Time for an Urban Dictionary entry? (claim that hyper-specific stereotype)

See also Josh

(Imagine for a moment if I had a friend named ‘Josh’ and we are now actually here conducting some kind of anonymous semi-virtual proxy war against both real and imagined enemies!)

Here was Josh last week with your crush/girlfriend/wife/daughter (delete as applicable), for instance. (Possibly all four):

😉

andyv
    Free Member

How is that calculation reached? Forgive my ignorance, but surely the eBike is putting out more power than that? As a total guess, even on eco mode it’s gotta be putting out 100W? So unless you’re putting out 400W for your commute, there’s no way the eBike is only contributing 20% of the work? IANAeB

Very simply by comparing two identical commutes on ebike and CX bike as recorded by garmin watch with wrist HRM. Very unscientific and no account taken on how loaded up panniers/rucksack headwinds, hangover level, eagerness to get in etc.

No idea on wattages, eco mode puts in an extra 50% of what I put in, tour 120% Sport 200% and turbo 340%. I suppose if i’m only putting out 100w then in eco its adding another 50w, in sport my 100w would get an extra 200w. I’m a MTBer at heart so this sustained wattage thing is beyond me tbh! In practical terms I’ve a long straight flat bit and in derestricted eco mode i can maintain 18/19mph(ish) but in tour its 21/22mph (ish). Aero resistance will be having a large effect by then too.

Superficial
    Free Member

Thanks, that’s useful re the percentages.

If you’re putting out a relatively relaxed 100W and the bike is adding 50W, then the bike is contributing 33% of the total work (work can be measured in Calories, if you like). As you say it’s non-linear depending on your speed but I’m struggling to see how (even on eco) the same trip would only use 20% more calories if you did it under your own steam vs eBike. But as you say perhaps there are other factors like how laden you are, or perhaps the algorithms in the watch don’t take the various levels of assistance into account.

Is it a generic bike ride on the watch or do you tell it that you’re on an eBike?

andyv
    Free Member

Just a generic bike on watch, garmin hasn’t seen fit to create an ebike activity update for my watch yet. So calorie burn will be from heartrate only, I’m fittish for my age and the main differnce between those two activities is I’m only 9% aerobic on the ebike journey compared to 25% on the proper bike. Tbh It was a very rough comparison and the only sure data is that on my commute it is easier and faster on a derestricted ebike. Speed and ease will rise as you up the assistance level, battery will drain accordingly.

squirrelking
    Free Member

@superficial fat tyres don’t necessarily roll slower.

https://www.schwalbe.com/en/balloonbikes

tjagain

ever ridden a fat bike?  they certainly do and a lot slower than a bike on decent tyres – thats a very cherry picked set of data and comparing it to an awful slow draggy tyre

Lankysprinter
    Free Member

Ortleib waterproof panniers for me. Super tough so still going after 5 years at least.
    Brother in law loves restrap seat pack but I didn’t like it when I tried one

v7fmp

@Lankysprinter – interesting you mention those, as they were also recommended to me.

https://www.ortlieb.com/uk_en/back-roller-city+F5003

Do panniers like these need a specific rack? or will they generally fit any and all? (apologies for my ignorance!)

Lankysprinter
    Free Member

Any rack I’ve tried. They come with adapters for different thickness of rack tube and the lower clip thing swivels to fit any shape of rack. They’re the only one of 3 pairs of panniers in our house that got all the different racks we’ve had

kayla1
    Free Member

Our Tongsheng-kitted bikes are doing well and seem to be able to do at least 50 miles on a single charge (eco/tour mainly). They’re set up single speed on 26″ wheels and the gearing (42:17) is such that the assistance cuts out at a comfy pottering cadence so the motor helps you up to speed (25km/h) but you have to keep it there with no assistance. The power cuts out smoothly in the lower three assist levels but maximum assist cuts out too abruptly so it’s best kept for the end of a long ride when you just want to get home (and we live at the top of a hill!)

jkomo

Oh man I’ve just seen this:
    https://winstanleysbikes.co.uk/catalog/product/view/id/546413/s/kona-dew-e-dl-2021-electric-bike/category/12530/
    But I have a couple of bikes I could do the tongsheng on…
    New bike would be on RTW and is a NEW BIKE.
    Tongsheng I’d need to add to a tatty rat bike.
    I’d feel so guilty if I didn’t ride in on the new bike I’m more likely to use it daily and it is a new bike and so shiney, but I am
    Trying to save money…

jkomo

I’ve ordered that there Kona /\

jkomo

Well the Kona didn’t happen, it was damaged. Winstanleys were great to deal with and very helpful, so no complaints there.
    In the end went for https://www.paulscycles.co.uk/bikes/electric-bikes/giant-fastroad-e-ex-pro-electric-urbanhybrid-bike-2021-black__8626
    Ordered Sunday, and it arrived yesterday. Only had a quick spin on it, but oh Lordy the thing is a beast. It weighs well, quite a lot, but feels fine to pedal on the flat, with the motor it is hilarious, turning the pedals Being something of a formality. I’m away for a bit now so won’t be riding in till Monday. Only a couple of things- the built in rear light is rubbish, so I’ll probably change that at some
    Point.
    Just need to choose bottle cages and a pannier bag. It’s got mud guards and a rack.

trek77
    Free Member

Hi all,

I’ve just started ebike commuting 3x week, with a 40 mile round trip. So far it been
    pretty good, especially enjoyable on the way back in the evenings if sunny. Apart from the last bit near the office it’s generally nice lanes and a couple of farm roads.

I’m on a bulls gravel ebike with DI2 and 500wh, flies along and is quite comfortable. Just swapped* the tires to schwalbe marathons as I had a couple of punctures, and to save the gravel tires for gravel.

One issue is the Uk car drivers. I’ve just moved back after living in Europe for 15 years so
    the ****ish behaviour has caught me out a bit!

Main issue for me is bike storage at work. We’ve got some racks kind of out of sight
    of the office, and thefts have happened. I asked to keep the bike in a workshop
    but so far it’s been rejected. Apart from insurance any antitheft tips welcome.

*by swapped I mean wrestled

chiefgrooveguru

“ Main issue for me is bike storage at work. We’ve got some racks kind of out of sight of the office”

I’d want two massive locks plus an alarm, ideally one that’ll talk to your phone somehow. I use a fairly big lock on mine plus a disc lock / alarm if it’s going to be out of sight for a few minutes but I don’t leave it anywhere I can’t see for longer than that.

jkomo

I’d pressure work hard, they should be more supportive. Do they have a ‘Green credentials’ statement you can quote back to them? I wouldn’t leave 1000’s pounds locked up outside anywhere. What if you offer to put some hooks up somewhere?

simondbarnes

I’m fortunate that I’ve always been able to keep bikes inside. If I didn’t have that option then I’m not sure I’d ever commute 🙁

Just over 750km commuting over the past 3 weeks for me. Did get my first puncture on the Conti Contact City which was annoying but otherwise all good. Even road in on my summer road bike yesterday morning for a change. 19.5mph average despite not having ridden a non assisted bike for months & months so e-biking has clearly given me some fitness 🙂

desperatebicycle

alarm, ideally one that’ll talk to your phone somehow.

Something like the See.sense tracker? – not sure when they are making them again
    See.Sense Knowhere GPS Bike Tracker – Pre Order

Hopefully going to start commuting on the Rise Pro next week, if my leg is up to it. Done a few rides on the flat and get no grief.
    Luckily, we have secure sheds on site, been locking ti bike up there for the last 5 years. Ebike does look more nickable, so could always bring into the motorbike shed, which is inside the security gate.

jkomo

First ride in was a success.
    After the big hill, which was a breeze, managed to keep above 20mph on the flat with no head wind.
    Hardest bit was when it’s a slight up hill you have to drop to 16 mph.
    20 miles took about 10 mins longer which is fine, I normally arrive a sweaty mess but not today!

pat12
    Free Member

Well to answer the original question, not very well at the moment….

https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/warranty-does-this-seem-fair/

When i had the bike, Orbea Gain D50 it was great!

My commute was about 40 mins each way on the normal bike, its pretty flat but there is quite a lot of stopping for junctions/lights etc. The thing i notice about the ebike is that it accelerates super quick and you can go from stopped to 15mph with very little effort. I find this means most of my effort is focused on pedalling the bike at above the 15mph so i think i ride faster than before.

I had no idea about ebikes when i got it but i was worried id lose the fitness aspect (think i thought it was like a motorbike 😋) but actually i’m as knackered if not more than on my standard bike.

Its knocked 10 mins each way off my commute which was one of the 2 reasons i got it for.

Second reason and where i really find the benefit is that my ride is along the seafront and the way home is into the prevailing wind. On a windy dark day it was a real drag (literally)
    could be a 50 min miserable grind especially if it was wet.

Some days i’d just leave the bike in the office and get the train. With the ebike i can just sit at 15mph and still get back in 35 mins.

paying about £30 a month on the bike to work scheme so was a no brainer for me.

v7fmp

cheers for the feedback pat.

i am into my second week of commuting and very much enjoying it. prep the night before is the key for me, getting lunch and clothing all ready, so i can get up, freshen up and go.

I have got into the groove of not working too hard on my commute, so whilst i am a little sweaty when i get to work, i am not a drenched mess. always in the back of my mind is the e-commuter. i seem to average around 25kmh on my gravel bike, so just the right speed for an e-commuter, which makes me think i would only gain a few seconds getting back up to speed from junctions etc. or if there was a belting headwind etc.

My work currently doesnt offer a bike scheme.. which probably isnt a bad thing at the moment! 😀

simondbarnes

I’ve commuted over 1000km in the last 4 weeks, mainly by e-bike. I’ve got fitter, helped the environment and saved more than enough in petrol money for a pair of HebTroCo jeans and a nice takeaway tonight 🙂

kayla1
    Free Member

We’re loving ours! The last charge I stuck in mine has lasted a trip back from my mam’s (~32 miles), a blast over to the home brew shop at Houghton-Le-Spring (~18 mile round trip) and a couple of shopping trips, so around 60 miles all in. The ride up to my mam’s takes around 3 hours or so including waiting for the Shields ferry which isn’t that much longer than using public transport (2 buses & change at Newcastle) takes and it’s a much nicer way to travel 😎

Here it is, loaded up on my way up to Blyth-

simondbarnes

Excellent 🙂

desperatebicycle

Oh yeah, everything’s good with my bike now. Finally got decent forks after 2 warranty returns (yeah, so nice of them to follow up and see if everything’s ok.. not!) – but I’ve not been into work since I last posted due to catching a lovely virus. Maybe next week.

houndlegs
    Free Member

Evening all.
    I’m looking to get a conversion kit for an old bike I have for commuting. I see some of you on about chipping to achieve 20ish mph.
    Now, the 20 mph appeals to me rather than 15. So,ignoring the fact that they’re illegal, you know the Bafang things with a 500 or 750 watt motor, apparently they go 30 odd mph. If you was to use it in just low power, could you just stay around 20 ish? I don’t want to go faster than that, but I’d like something to hold me at 20mph.
    And I also don’t want to argue about legality.

Ta.

jkomo

The 16mph is quite limiting, even 18 would feel so much better, but still.
    Rode in yesterday, and the power cut out half way in. Hauling the 22kg bike the last 9 miles was actually fine, did slightly feel maybe I should have bought a flat bar commuter. Anyway downloaded the new firmware at work, and rode back fine.
    Again I think the main advantage is I could do the 38 miles most days, and feel better mentally and not use petrol.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 89 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.