• This topic has 27 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Dynaplug Air or Dyanplug Race for road tubeless?
  • yohandsome
    Free Member

d

Got my 5000 TLs working https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/continental-5000-tl-farsports-tl-ready-60-mm-rims-noob-case-report/ and considering what puncture repair kit I should get.

Dynaplug Air with CO2 or Dyanplug Race + an mini hand pump? I’m not actually racing so not worried about spending time inflating the tire, but a bit worried about keeping it from unseating where the CO2 could be superior.

DezB
    Free Member

I’ve got the bottom one. Never needed it on road/gravel tyres, but the one time I’ve had to use it on my MTB, mini-pump was fine. Tyres take more than a loss of pressure to become unseated. Punctures I’ve had on the road have always been plugged by the sealant before the tyre has got completely flat.
    Did buy some extra thin type plugs to carry on the road. (same as those pictured with the “Air”)

yohandsome
    Free Member

Tyres take more than a loss of pressure to become unseated

My tires are super tight and get unseated if they lose a lot of pressure :/

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I went for the race, yet to use it in anger, think the key with these things is that you have them as close to hand as possible, so that you’re more or less ready to use the thing as soon as you come to a halt.

yohandsome
    Free Member

People are saying tires seat better after riding them for a bit, so perhaps there’s hope and a mini pump is a fine option.

Halingtons
    Free Member

I use 58mm farsports and schwalbe pro one tubeless. I’ve never had a tire unseat when deflating, if anything it can be a struggle to push the tire off the hook.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’d not be trusting a mini pump, even though I opted for the race, I have a CO2 in the same pocket as the dynaplug.

DezB
    Free Member

TYRe! tYre! Please, these American spellings are making me pissed !

bsims
    Free Member

I’ve been able to get my racer into action very quickly which as Nobeer says is the key. Would recommend.

DezB
    Free Member

Never used a CO2 in my life, but wish I’d had one when my minipump broke. Would’ve saved me wasting a plug and a long walk! Worth considering in those circumstances, but I’ve got a decent minipump now

yohandsome
    Free Member

Sorry, us english here!

I use 58mm farsports and schwalbe pro one tubeless. I’ve never had a tire unseat when deflating, if anything it can be a struggle to push the tire off the hook.

Sounds good, heard deseating when installing is normal.

yohandsome
    Free Member

The tires still deseat when going down to 0, but stay seated until maybe 30 psi.

Got both the CO2 and the carbon race kit, for the jersey and one for the backpack.

Garry_Lager

Don’t like the sound of a tyre unseating on deflation – suggests the bead isn’t locked on properly, which is not something to entertain on any bike but esp road where the descent speeds are big. Have you taken it for a ride? Maybe do an easy 20 miles and see if that makes a difference.

Normally a road puncture never unseats the tyre, which makes plugging work so well. Only on MTBs you occasionally see it with a big impact taking the bead off the rim.

yohandsome
    Free Member

Or not locked enough I guess, as it is locked to some degree. No descents here but can hit 60 kmh during sprints. I do run fairly high 80-90 psi pressure so that might add some safety margin.

A puncture shouldnt unseat the tyre unless it’s a large gash i reckon and it gets down to sub 30 psi very fast.

DezB
    Free Member

are you using sealant? IME road tubeless get practically glued onto the rim – I’ve had to cut tyres of with snips before because the bead was so tightly sealed.

yohandsome
    Free Member

Yes orange seal endurance, just installed the tires couple days ago, maybe they will glue to the rim more over time.

Heard one suggestion to use a layer of rim tape to tighten the fit.

claudie

My tyres unseat at around 10/20psi – roval tubeless rims and Hutchinson performance / 5000 / IRC tyres. I’ve had about 5 punctures that needed plugging. If I get a puncture, I quickly put a thumb on the hole and use a pre loaded anchovy. Always works and I top up with a regular pump, don’t really get the benefit of dynaplugs. I’m running 70-80 psi on 25mm width tyres.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

don’t really get the benefit of dynaplugs

I don’t think it’s a massive upgrade on what you have, just slightly more convenient really. No sharp tool in your pocket, the plugs have the metal end which theoretically should be harder to pop out once fitted than an anchovy is, and they claim the anchovy part of the plug is impregnated with glue that bonds into tyre, so no buggering about with glue.

I know you can use anchovies without glue, but I have had a couple fail, and that’s the reason I went dynaplug.

I got a front tyre puncture on the first 300m of rake n ruin in dunkeld enduro, which effectively buggered my race, Anchovies wouldn’t seal it, maybe a dynaplug would, for 35 quid it’s worth a go.

I always take them out when back home now as well, and replace with a mushroom plug, it’s a far better long term solution.

trail_rat
    Free Member

my recent experiance of anchovies on the road is

75 psi and the anchovy leaves the building – repeated a couple of times before i opted to patch with a traditional patch on the inside = 100 psi no bother.

have bought a dynaplug racer kit for future.

RicB

don’t really get the benefit of dynaplugs

You’re effectively just paying for convenience, less faffage and faster repairs. Oh and a nice, shiny, anodised new tool

The other benefit, which I’m still not sure about, is if you run foams in mtb tyres. I’ve had more anchovies fail since I’ve used foams than I ever had previously. I suspect the foam knocks the anchovy from the inside and forces it back out. Dynaplugs have a barb that should prevent them coming back out.

Stans Dart also have a barb but my experience wasn’t great, plus they need sealant (and the right type of sealant at that) to work whereas Dynaplugs will work even if you’ve forgotten to top the tyres up

yohandsome
    Free Member

My tyres unseat at around 10/20psi – roval tubeless rims and Hutchinson performance / 5000 / IRC tyres.

From my understanding now, unseating is normal and perhaps only doesn’t happen on Mavic rims + tires? Question is if more rim tape will help.

opted to patch with a traditional patch on the inside

What patches do you use? I know there are tubeless specific ones

Also a tip, wait a few minutes before going up to high psi to help ensure the plug stays.

I always take them out when back home now as well, and replace with a mushroom plug, it’s a far better long term solution.

Seems nice and more robust than just patches, which ones do you use (for road tires)?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

which ones do you use (for road tires)

I don’t have tubeless on my commuter, sorry, should’ve said my experiences here are MTB only.

DezB
    Free Member

unseating is normal and perhaps only doesn’t happen on Mavic rims

This could be why I never get unseating – Mavic rims.
    Definitely need tubeless specific patches for inside the tyres.. the glue for tyres is different.
    Hutchinson kit is good cos the glue is decent – some kits have normal superglue in them – this isnt as good ime.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Also a tip, wait a few minutes before going up to high psi to help ensure the plug stays.

i waited 45 minute for the glue to go off while putting my daughter to bed

it had the best chance it was ever going to get.

I used rema tip top patches as i always have on my MTB tires.

FWIW my Gavias on SLR1 carbon rims do not unseat when all pressures removed , they require some amount of force to unseat – but can also be removed from the rim by hand thanks to a nice deep well.

trail_rat
    Free Member

some kits have normal superglue in them – this isnt as good ime.

not as good / shit . Normal super glue goes brittle and makes the patch brittle and comes off.

The glue in hutcheson kit for mtb is a variation on super glue – in the road kit its rubber cement

as i said ive had no issues with regular (but quality) patch kits on the inside of tubeless tires for years. My foraes into anchovies have been crap. – sealant alone in the same hole held 60psi…. for 80k.

Next up is dynaplug but ill be carrying regular patch kit also.

DezB
    Free Member

Must’ve been the Zefal kit I had that had the best glue, if it wasn’t Hutch.
    But yeah, I’ve had sealant fix holes and not needed to touch it after.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Hutchinson do a road kit and an MTB kit. They have different glues.

Strange as o believe the tires are butyl the same as generic tubes. The only difference is I spend quite a bit of time.sanding back to flat fresh rubber rather than just keying the surface.

DezB
    Free Member

Hutchinson do a road kit and an MTB kit. They have different glues.

You said that 🙂

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Dynaplug Air or Dyanplug Race for road tubeless?’ is closed to new replies.