Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Dynamos – Talk to me…
  • cookeaa

I know there’s a couple of dynamo enthusiasts on here.

I’ve been thinking it might be nice to have some dynamo driven running lights on my commuter just to be sure that if the battery driven LEDs give up for whatever reason, I’ve still got some sort of active illumination this winter.

I don’t want to spend loads really, and as good as they look having a wheel rebuilt with a Dynamo hub doesn’t appeal on cost grounds, that said “bottle type” roller on the rim/tyre dynamos’s look awful IMO, so I want another way of generating the leccy on the move…

I found a couple of more novel ones when googling last night; one that attached directly to the wheel’s spokes and has a reaction arm on the frame so it’s driven at the hub without significant modification to the wheel being required, and another one that’s attached at on the chainstay and driven by the chain (looked a bit mickey mouse TBH, but the idea has some merit)…

This all got me thinking, I use a flip flop hub on my commuter, could I have something attached to the “spare” NDS hub thread to drive a dynamo? chain/belt/spur/bevel gear driven with the dynamo attached to the Chain or seat stay, neatly tucked out of the way.
    Surely someone has done this already? and if not, why not?

Dynamo Experts, please provide your input…

trail_rat
    Free Member

look at Reelight.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Not heard of that. Sounds like Reelight are closer to what you are after, but a “proper” set-up still shits all over them.

I’d spend the £ and see the light, if you spend enough time on your bike in the dark you won’t regret it.

You can get a wheel for £100 retail (or do a rebuild for less), lights for £50 or so,

trail_rat
    Free Member

i agree with al for once :d

but reelight are ok for a be seen light – i put one on jaynes commuter so she always had a light on.

boblo
    Free Member

What wheel size? You can get a decent 700c wheel c/w Shimano dynamo from Rose for about £70.

Rose dynamo wheel

mrmo
    Free Member

HTF have rose set the pricing on that wheel!!! the hub is the same price as athe whole wheel!!!!! only issue is the rim is probably too wide for my bike and tyres.

cookeaa

Oooooh I’d not found reelight before cheers for that; the SL150 and/or SL550 looks like about what I might be after, seems like a better concept than what I was on about perhaps… Or are they really a bit feeble? is that the issue Al?

It was really this effort that got me thinking: SUNUP ECO DS-1R SPOKE DYNAMO

The whole point being, I don’t really want a new wheel, or to rebuild my current one… well not right now anyway, and I kind of figured that seeing as I have what is essentially a spare connection point on the Rear hub, there’s a good opportunity to drive something from it…

How much more juice do you get out of a proper hub dynamo anyway?

trail_rat
    Free Member

not sure on any of the bigger ones cookea – jaynes is an SL100 compact – works well for what it is – a back up flashing light that never needs turning on/off

Al – mrmo – anyone else that has half an idea…. what lighting would you recomend to go with that wheel ? – i want a revo but just cant bring my self to spend on a revo…… – when i have a perfectly good working but old and worthless ( because folks would rather by those nice reliable exploding china lights every year) maxx D

mrmo
    Free Member

I haven’t used it,

But would have a look at the new B&M cyo premium.

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/b–m-lumotec-iq-cyo-premium-t-senso-plus-headlight/aid:709237

boblo
    Free Member

@mrmo they do a cheaper alternative rim as well, might fit? It’s not that wide, I get mine into a standard clearance tourer no problem. Are you wanting to use it on a close clearance road bike or something?

cynic-al
    Free Member

I dunno about the Reelights, I suspoect they are more “be seen” than “see”. My set-up is good enough for me for night solo road rides, I’d never go back.

trail rat – I went for B&M, using the strip-light at the back (mine brightens under braking) and the £80 60-lux front. No regrets.

mrmo
    Free Member

@boblo, bike is close clearances, would rather the rim was an open sport or similar which i know fits ok.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Some of the Shimano power generating hubs look quite interesting, I’d never considered this before. How discernible is the drag when you’re using them, or do you not notice it at all?

thomthumb
    Free Member

can feel it when turning the wheel by hand not when you’re rolling.

i got a b&m iq cyo from h&s bike discount super cheap.

Martin.B
    Free Member

Are your handy with a soldering iron?

http://www.pilom.com/BicycleElectronics/DynamoCircuits.htm

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Dynamos – Talk to me…’ is closed to new replies.