Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 88 total)
  • Dyfi Enduro – route profile??? And impressions.
  • littlebear
    Free Member

If im honest i fell asleep half way through…Thinking surley ive taken a wrong turn (up another fire road) It was only the ocasional decent from hell that kept me awake ;0) I cant believe amongst all that beautiful scenery there was not more off road climbing available. Maybe the Great Fire Road Enduro would be a better name. Other than that some great moments, great atmosphere and a dam good challenge on the legs, not sure i would do it again though, think im more suited to miles of singletrack.

chipps

Oh, and I forgot to mention the beer stop. It was SOO welcome – and it was shocking to see the number of people who didn’t stop. It wasn’t that disguised either – and had a DJ and some dancing cross dressers when I was there. There was even someone changing a puncture within 25 yards of it who didn’t head back for a pint.

Did anyone catch the Saturday night band? Or were we too left-field/non chart hits for everyone?

singlespeedstu

😆 at votchy.

Keef.

I had to take the basket off as it was blocking the view of the mincer cam.

frazjones

look i know i’m biased but see the ride description from the event web site as follows,Welcome to the howies Dyfi Enduro. This year the event will be held on Sunday May 1st. The event, now in its tenth year is a simple big loop, starting in Machynlleth town centre, which heads out of town for a tour of the Dyfi forests best hidden trails. It has long unrelenting fire road climbs, and long rough technical descents, it finishes deep in the forest, riders then spin back into town on lanes to event HQ for (hopefully) a prize and a coveted finisher’s mug. Total distance will be around 60km, subject to final route tweaking in the weeks before the event…..you can’t get 750 riders safely into Dyfi on singletrack climbs.Huge thanks to all for coming and having a go,but as in all things you can’t please everyone.

singlespeedstu

Fraz.

There may be a few moaners on here but i bet the next Dyfi Enduro will be full in a matter of hours again. 8)

littlebear
    Free Member

I think constructive criticism can be taken the wrong way and after all, is this not a forum and is the title of this thread not “Dyfi Enduro – route profile??? And impressions” the problem with the general public is we never voice what we really mean. If i myself sounded a little harsh that was not my intention. I would probably attend the event again just for the atmosphere and people i met along the way. I would just prefer a few more technical climbs and without loosing so much height on a fire road…Thats me though! Maybe i am being short sighted in the grad scheme of safety etc, as i have never organised an event. Great work to all those involved im sure each year just keeps getting better and better. Dont stop because of the criticism that would just be petty. And no you cant please all the people all of the time, but i bet you pleased at least 99% ;0) Worth the journey and the mug…. Thanks

ir_bandito
    Free Member

The amount of people who struggle on the one technical climb, its probably a good job there aren’t more.

(I cleaned it, as usaul 🙂 )

Keep it up Fraz! See you next year!

leonidbrezhnev
    Free Member

A bit disappointed by the fancy dress turnout 🙁
    My girlfriend had the impression that it was only the singlespeeders who dressed up. Gears = boring?

(Mr Bumble Bee)

5thElefant
    Free Member

I enjoyed it. Pretty much what I expected. I spent the first 2/3rds overtaking and the last 1/3rd being overtaken. 😆

The campsite was a bit windy. Tents tumbling past rather than tumbleweed was a nice touch.

nonk
    Free Member

best event in the world as allways the better half rode this year so i was on bairn watch and its worth saying that even this is cool at the dyfi, mellow vibe, cinema tent etc. nice one see you next year.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

oh yeah – enjoyed the free beer and bangin’ tunes 🙂

hughjengin
    Free Member

Nonk, I reckon we were riding somewhere in the general vicinity of your significant other, on the last third of the ride. Or so my riding partner, tells me. If he is correct she is a strong climber for sure.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Mmm. Free beer. Was most welcome!

Banjo was a great touch too.

gazc
    Free Member

really enjoyed it again, great overall vibe and loved the beer tent/dj and the fast rocky descents 😀 got a timbuk2 bag for the fancy dress (i was the spaceman). first time for claire as well she loved it especially the world cup dh 😀 cheers to fraz n the crew again, keep up the good work n see you next year!!!

Freester

Bangin’ tunes at Dicko’s bar? WTF it was Jonny Halliday singing ‘Hey Jo’ Hendrix cover ‘en Francais’ when I passed through!!!

Burchy1
    Free Member

Really enjoyed it as usual, a little gutted to get a puncture half way down the WC DH but hey ho.

Banjo was a great touch too.

I was on my own as i rode past that guy and i swear he was thinking ‘there’s good eatin on dat dare morsel’, made me attack the climb anyway 😆

SSStu – good trailmincing vid, i followed you down that line on the first singletrack downhill, cheers for making a hole with that fat wheel of yours! 8)

m_t_b
    Free Member

Could of done with a signpost saying free beer this way or pain that way… I would of made an informed choice then 😀

Enjoyed it this year as a challenge but yes there was too much fireroad both up and down. Great laugh and a good crowd though. Thanks to all that helped with my 3 punctures with your acts of charity.. I was the guy with a trophy sellotaped to my lid.

Aidan
    Free Member

I thought it was great. For the people who thought the descents were not as exciting as billed, bear in mind that this is the driest I have ever seen the course (I think I’ve done 8 years). Try those same descents when all the rock is wet and/or covered in slime and you’ll be filling your pants. I know there wasn’t much singletrack, but if I want to ride the same twisty singletrack that I have at home, I might as well not drive all the way to Wales.

Big pat on the back to all the organisers and volunteers, the Dyfi is a unique event and (along with SSUK) the only race that I enter every year without hesitation.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Bangin’ tunes at Dicko’s bar?

It was The Jam when I was there…

Mustn’t forget the sausage rolls at the feed station. There’s only so much sugar a body can take. Genius.

hughjengin
    Free Member

Mustn’t forget the sausage rolls at the feed station. There’s only so much sugar a body can take. Genius

Couldnt agree more, after 2 litres of energy drink and a cuple of sickly energy gels, the sausage rolls were an absolute winner.

zokes
    Free Member

Gutted that’s the second in a row I’ve missed now (2010 was wedding planning, this year I’m living in Oz). I’ll definitely give it another go if I’m back in the UK at the right time – I need another mug!

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

It was The Jam when I was there…

And The Buzzcocks. 😀

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

gazc – I didn’t envy you in that suit…

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

It was, as always, one of the best organised events with great touches – the band, the beer, the dj, the banjo player, the sew-on patch.

Plus the descents which are just fab. Even better in the dry dusty conditions at the weekend. My only minor comment would be theat there appeared to be a a fireroad descent in the middle. I suspect it couldn’t be helped, and really didn’t matter, but would have loved to have been losing that height on some more techy, rocky loose stuff…. 🙂

Love to all who rode and smiled!

orena45

3rd Dyfi for me and enjoyed it as always! My only gripe was, although the new Rocky Horror descent was awesome, that long fire road descent after was a crime. Unless there was a reason not to, I would’ve thought at least we could’ve been directed onto the second half of the slate descent, which the last two years comes after the short flat fire road section, after the first descent off the moorland?

Oh and actually, also I don’t think the singletrack descent after the initial long fireroad climb (just after passing the band playing at the top) was a wise idea as people hadn’t spread out enough by then which led to a stationary traffic jam when we got there for a good couple of minutes.

Like I said though, good event as always (and that free beer was SOO needed at the end!).

chvck
    Free Member

I believe that there was a reason for the long fireroad descent. They couldn’t use the usual descent due to factors beyond their control from what I’ve been told, so I guess that they didn’t have a lot of choice on that one.

Patti
    Free Member

After being a spectator the last few years this was my first time riding and loved it! Once those tricky loosey singletrack sections at the begining were over with (where everyone was bunched up) I got into it and held on for dear life down the world cup section which was definitely my achievement of the day. The big dipper was cool too!

For those of you pro riders I can see the endless fireroads being a pain, I found them a welcome route to the top of the downhill sections to be honest, miles and miles of technical climbs as well would have done me in!!

Amazing tunes and free beer at the end of last descent was a real treat!! 🙂 Thank you Fraz, Jonny and everyone else who organised it, brilliant!! x

ir_bandito
    Free Member

It appears i was enjoying it 😀

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

You can see it even more clearly in the version without the big “C” in the corner.

zokes
    Free Member

You can see it even more clearly in the version without the big “C” in the corner.

‘s ok – content aware fill will sort that out 😉

ir_bandito
    Free Member

You can see it even more clearly in the version without the big “C” in the corner

I know, I’ll be buying it later. Cool pic, thanks 🙂

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

Thank you.

dti

Sausage Rolls, Brown Sauce, Free Beer and a Banjo.

What’s not to like.

emac65
    Free Member

My 5th Dyfi & as always a great event made even better by the great weather this year.For those who didn’t like it,then don’t bother doing it next year.Don’t worry,it’ll still sell out,it always does !

YellowBelly
    Free Member

Thanks to the organisers for putting on another great event. Dyfi Enduro is unique.

I left the Kenda small block 8 rear tyre on, should have known better as I got three flats and had to blag a tube on the last one, won’t chance it next time.

Roll on more trailside surrealness next event please. The Banjo Man should be an annual fixture, maybe we can have him duelling with another player next year.
    …and bring back the cheerleaders.

Think I rode back to town with mince-cam man, drafted his front tyre for a few km.

Kahurangi

It appears I was enjoying it

That is a sweet photo. And your flickr stuff from Snowdon & Berwyns is making me green.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

photo purchased. Will be printed when there isn’t a 2-year old sleeping next to the printer 🙂

njm

Had another fantastic time this year! Free beer was unbelievably welcome at that point. Savoury food at the feed stop is an inspired plan, the sausage rolls almost tempted me away from vegi-dom! The fireroad descent was a shame, but one of the things I really like about the Dyfi is the course is different every year (or has been the three years I’ve done it), and I’m sure sometimes that’s going to involve these sections.

emac65
    Free Member

I left the Kenda small block 8 rear tyre on, should have known better as I got three flats and had to blag a tube on the last one, won’t chance it next time.

Thinks it just luck,or rather unluck of the draw – me & my mate both had Small Block 8’s on the back & neither of us had a puncture.The Bonty ACX I had on the front flatted on me & popped off the rim once 🙁

gazc
    Free Member

Pimpmaster Jazz – Member
    gazc – I didn’t envy you in that suit…

yeah i was boiling alive under that and the helmet had no vents at all which doesn’t really help! the kids in mach seemed to be a fan as we rode out anyway!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 88 total)

The topic ‘Dyfi Enduro – route profile??? And impressions.’ is closed to new replies.