Dyfi Enduro – route profile??? And impressions.

Home Forum Bike Forum Dyfi Enduro – route profile??? And impressions.

Viewing 45 posts - 1 through 45 (of 88 total)
  • Dyfi Enduro – route profile??? And impressions.
  • Premier Icon Twodogs
    Subscriber

yes, you are missing something….how can you have downhill without climbs? I thought it was a fantastic course..and the descents were challenging and exciting….how could you ride down that ridge line and not end up with a huge grin on your face?!?!
    1500m of climbing according to my Garmin.

Premier Icon Russell96
    Subscriber

My GPS measured 1792m Mach to Mach, loved it, despite having to take it easy after breaking a Crossmax spoke in my rear wheel on World Cup, thought Rocky Horror was right good fun.

stanley

Phone gps says 2300m up and down.

Third (maybe forth- I forget) time I’ve done the Dyfi. I used to think it was great, and recommended it to loads of people, but today I found it a bit dull :-/
    Yes; the weather was fantastic, the scenery beautiful and the organisation good, but it just felt like it was almost all on fire road. Had the route changed much since I last did it?
    I found the descents ok, but not that inspiring. Not steep enough to be properly challenging, but too steep to let fly- well for me anyway!
    Hardly any interesting climbing or singletrack.
    Maybe I’ve got old and grumpy? Don’t think I’ll be back next year.

[Puts flame suit on]

Premier Icon shortcut
    Subscriber

Has anyone got a route profile – roughly how much climbing was there?

Also what did you think? For my two pennyworth there was a lot of climbing, fire road and loose steep descents and not much in the way of good singletrack. With this in mind I am surprised it sells out in three hours.

Maybe I am missing something?!? If so what?

Not trying to be critical, it is well organised, staffed and run but the riding lacks something for me.

1790 m climbing on my GPS, measured by Barometric Altimeter so should be accurate.

I didn’t think the descents were all that either, but then again the course needed to be designed for 750 riders and all weather. On the plus side after the intial road section it was all offroad, not many other enduro events in the UK that can boast that.

Premier Icon dreednya
    Subscriber

The other thing is that many of the descents are steeper than the ones you normally get in similar events, meaning you lose a lot of height quickly. It also means that you have to regain that height, which is mainly on fire road so takes a while to regain.

Just be thankful that the trails were so dry and riding fast, it would of been a different storey if it had rained all week I can tell you!

‘Marshall at the beginning of the Big Dipper’

chvck

Personally I love the descents on the Dyfi, fairly steep, silly fast and rocky! I like that the climbing is on fireroads, it means that you can just spin away on them and not have to think about what you’re doing!

I always find it shocking the number of people who are rapid uphill but have to get off and walk down descents.

steve_b77

I had a great time, hard work but fun. From the very start in Mac to the end my phone GPS recorded 2413m.

Sure there was a lot of fire road climbing but the descents were ace.

Big respect to anyone who did it on a SS!!

Quote of the day for me was “slow down guys, there’s bodies everywhere” he hee

This is my log & route profile

emac65

I really enjoyed it & have never known it so dry – But I’m never doing it on a rigid Inbred 29er SS with 32:18 gearing again,ever !Gears,h/tail & lightness for me next time….. πŸ˜€

Premier Icon Nick
    Subscriber

The route once loaded into Mapyx Quo says 7412ft of climbing… I thought it was harder this year.

Some nice singletrack would be welcome, but the descents are entertaining and the banter while winching back up the fireroads is always good. Enjoyed it.

Premier Icon dreednya
    Subscriber

The other positive about fire road climbing is that you can sit and spin with your mates/fellow riders and have a chat – can’t do that on technical singletrack.

emac65

steve_b77 ,I got in at 3:10(4hrs10) so must have been just behind you..

Dr_UpGrade

1776m on garmin 705, but put that into sporttracks and it comes up with 1500m climbing.. Enough anyhow…

I ‘missed’ the cheerleaders this year, but as my teammate said, maybe they’ve all just grown up! As ever the band and banjo player were appreciated! To me the dyfi is all about ‘constant’ hard climbs with rewarding slate-y shoots inbetween…

Hard but I enjoyed it. We crossed the finish at 4:13h so must have been along the same time as you other guys too!

martyntr

My 6th Dyfi and my first on a rigid, 29er SS Gary Fisher ferrous…. fantastic day, beautiful weather, great trails and good finish..

32×20 was perfect gearing for the Dyfi πŸ™‚

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/82800592

MrTall

My first and last Dyfi, just way too much fireroad for me to enjoy myself. Each to their own but didn’t think the few short sharp offroad descents were worth the never ending climbing to get to them. Too much downhill fireroad to lose all the height you’ve just slogged up.

Great weather and scenery though and very well organised. Just not for me. I got in around 3pm as well (didn’t do the extra loop though, no idea where i came overall – when are the results posted?).

Premier Icon singlespeedstu
    Subscriber

My 9th Dyfi.

Another great even with top organisation and a chilled out vibe.

Those slatey descents are just so much fun. Some people seem to forget that you’ve got get up to get down. πŸ˜‰

Finished in around 3 hours 40ish on a rigid singlespeed.

Took a fair bit of footage with my GoPro too. i’ll have a look at it later and see if a caught any trailmincing.

Premier Icon dazh
    Subscriber

I do wonder about people who enter an enduro then complain about the amount of climbing! I couldn’t ride it this year due to injury, so watched it from the bottom of the world cup instead. Interesting seeing it from the other side, but not as much fun.

Also given the Dyfi’s reputation as a tyre-shredder it was surprising seeing the number of people who didn’t have any/enough tubes.

Freester

Top event again. Yes maybe a touch more fireroad than normal after the moorland descent but that new super steep slate chute made up for that πŸ™‚

My stats using Android phone and Google My Tracks were (from Machynlleth and back):

Total Distance: 61.99 km (38.5 mi)
    Elevation Gain: 1276 m (4187 ft)

*Waves at dreednya*

Dunno if you remember me I was the big guy on an SC Heckler. We had a little chat, first I asked if the Big Dipper was the start of the WC run… We then had a chat about the reason for the change of descents after the moorland.

Premier Icon steviep
    Subscriber

Great event as hard as ever. I rode most of the way round with Chipps and he was great company.My garmin gave 1900m of ascent and his garmin gave 1990m so by any account a decent day out in the hills. Loved the bar at the bottom of the last descent, couldnt believe people actually carried on and refused beer!!

Premier Icon NazNomad
    Subscriber

Great event,I’d forgotten just how big those hills are!(Last did it in 2006).Loved the descents-dodging the walkers just made it a bit more fun,and though there wasn’t much singletrack you have to remember you need to get 750 very tired riders around it.All in all a great day-much helped by the weather-so thanks to all who helped make it happen.

Dave

PS If any of you who are moaning would like to organise a 40 mile singletrack filled event I’m sure you’d get loads of entries

My 8th Dyfi, and I’ve always loved it for the mental descents and the whole laid-back feel of it. But that was a lot of fire road, even by Dyfi standards. *sticks bottom lip out*

grum

Do they not use the descents from the ClimachX trail then? That seems a shame, cos they are fantastic imo, especially the last one. I wonder why….

Subscriber

Maybe because it’s not steep/ slatey enough. πŸ˜‰

Premier Icon dazh
    Subscriber

Probably due to the carnage the last descent of the ClimachX would cause. Something that long, with no passing places and 750 riders = trouble.

Plus it would get trashed.

Freester

Obviously those complaining were taking the event far too seriously and didn’t stop for the free beer just short of the finish line πŸ˜‰

grum

Probably due to the carnage the last descent of the ClimachX would cause. Something that long, with no passing places and 750 riders = trouble.

This is why they should have an Enduro like the Avalanche series or the UK Gravity Enduro races there instead πŸ˜‰ – would be a great location for it imo.

Yeah, I didn’t see the free beer, dammit.

Subscriber

This is why they should have an Enduro like the Avalanche series or the UK Gravity Enduro races there

They have real enduros there. If you want to get dressed up in body armour why not try one of those. πŸ˜‰

Yeah, I didn’t see the free beer, dammit.

I can’t believe you of all people missed the beer.

Premier Icon chipps
    Subscriber

My ninth event and I really enjoyed it. It’s probably the least hungover I’ve been at the start, which really helped. I was riding around on my own, so it was good to ride round with Steviep and chat our way up the climbs. I think if you want the distance off road (in England/Wales at least) then there’ll always be inevitable fire road.

Subscriber

The mincer cam caught a few on the first descent. πŸ˜‰

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VPYyV-gKAQ[/video]

nunuboogie

3rd year in a row and loved it, huge climbs followed by fun descents, the perfect excuse to dress up as a sheep πŸ˜‰

nunuboogie

Not enough walking in that footage Stu πŸ˜‰

Subscriber

Not enough walking in that footage Stu

I know. I need to ride round at tollahs speed to catch the real mincers towards the back of the pack. πŸ˜‰

robkhoo

You were lucky, there was a stationary queue by the time we got there.

STATO

You were lucky, there was a stationary queue by the time we got there.

You should have just waited and heckled, there were no queues at the back :0)

Premier Icon NazNomad
    Subscriber

Cool tunes on that vid Who is it?
    I did quite a lot of “on yer right”ing yesterday too-then promptly got re-passed on the climbs…more fitness needed!

Dave

Premier Icon ir_bandito
    Subscriber

I bl00dy loved it. Done all of them since the first (except 3rd and 4th cos I was in NZ) and I reckon this was the best yet.
    Yes, a tad more fire-road this year, but the descents get better and better. Possibly seemed a bit less descending this year as it was all so much drier and faster it was over with sooner.

Do they not use the descents from the ClimachX trail then?

I should hope not. I made the mistake of doing the Whinlatter Enduro which used mostly the Altura trail and it was pants as there’re no overtaking manouvres possible due to it being too narrow. Most of the slate descents in Dyfi have the smooth “mincer” line (nice vid stu) and the rough-as-a-badger overtaking line.

I started at the back and finished pretty much at the back and viewed the whole thing this year as a social ride. Was great as there was barely any traffic on the descents. πŸ™‚

Premier Icon votchy
    Subscriber

The mincer cam caught a few on the first descent.

Can’t believe you did all that overtaking without a care for the other riders, some people are so selfish πŸ˜€

Keef

Stu,you’ve lost the basket,again πŸ˜†

Premier Icon Russell96
    Subscriber

Oh I have to add thanks to the people who asked if I was OK when I pulled up with cramp, couple mins of stretching and I was OK again, thank you for asking and it makes it stand out even more as a great memorable event.

littlebear

If im honest i fell asleep half way through…Thinking surley ive taken a wrong turn (up another fire road) It was only the ocasional decent from hell that kept me awake ;0) I cant believe amongst all that beautiful scenery there was not more off road climbing available. Maybe the Great Fire Road Enduro would be a better name. Other than that some great moments, great atmosphere and a dam good challenge on the legs, not sure i would do it again though, think im more suited to miles of singletrack.

Premier Icon chipps
    Subscriber

Oh, and I forgot to mention the beer stop. It was SOO welcome – and it was shocking to see the number of people who didn’t stop. It wasn’t that disguised either – and had a DJ and some dancing cross dressers when I was there. There was even someone changing a puncture within 25 yards of it who didn’t head back for a pint.

Did anyone catch the Saturday night band? Or were we too left-field/non chart hits for everyone?

Subscriber

πŸ˜† at votchy.

Keef.

I had to take the basket off as it was blocking the view of the mincer cam.

Premier Icon frazjones
    Subscriber

look i know i’m biased but see the ride description from the event web site as follows,Welcome to the howies Dyfi Enduro. This year the event will be held on Sunday May 1st. The event, now in its tenth year is a simple big loop, starting in Machynlleth town centre, which heads out of town for a tour of the Dyfi forests best hidden trails. It has long unrelenting fire road climbs, and long rough technical descents, it finishes deep in the forest, riders then spin back into town on lanes to event HQ for (hopefully) a prize and a coveted finisher’s mug. Total distance will be around 60km, subject to final route tweaking in the weeks before the event…..you can’t get 750 riders safely into Dyfi on singletrack climbs.Huge thanks to all for coming and having a go,but as in all things you can’t please everyone.

Subscriber

Fraz.

There may be a few moaners on here but i bet the next Dyfi Enduro will be full in a matter of hours again. 8)

Viewing 45 posts - 1 through 45 (of 88 total)

The topic ‘Dyfi Enduro – route profile??? And impressions.’ is closed to new replies.