Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 81 total)
  • Dyfi 2010 – UK's hardest single day event?
  • whytetrash

pretty tough course great fun though…prob one of the most technical enduros?….I came first in the Newly diagnosed, 40 on the 20th August Diabetic category….nice for the 6 yr old on the finish line to remember this and award me with 3 pairs of socks 😆

Nick

Was a great event, don't know about hardest single day event, felt ok at the end compared to the mess I was in after the Builth Wells Merida 100 a few years back (which took me almost 3 hours longer to do the extra 20 miles….), the Dyfi's descents are certainly more technical, the climbs while laborious were not as hard.

votchy
    Free Member

I finished that late that I was awarded lights as my spot prize 😀

Really enjoyed it, hardest ride I've ever done, legs still very tight, thought the downhills were superb, really enjoyed the WC descent, didn't realize just how steep it was until I stopped at the bottom and looked back up to the top. Big thanks to Paul and Rosie for dragging me round, pretty sure I would've quit when cramp set in at about half way. great event and big thank you to the organisers and also to the curry house, ate like a horse, food was fantastic and the ride was still calorie neutral 😀

foxyrider
    Free Member

Cycled to work this morning and feel super fit although my legs are still a little achy 🙂

senorj

Just like to add my twopenneth….got home last night.
    Good Campsite,great ride.
    Brilliantly and sadistically marshalled…."this is the last hill"etc
    The drummers were my fave.
    Hello to Roger – the mature chap with the pakamac,walking boots&socks Plus his rear tyre rubbing on his front mech!
    I hope i can go up hills like it when i get older.
    Generally good banter all the way round…shame about the litter bugs.
    Definitely one for next year.
    …when are the results published??

trusz
    Free Member

Descents were great fun but I felt like I spent most of the day climbing the same boring fire roads. Need to change my riding position and start doing some lumbar exercises I think. Legs were fine but my back was was in pieces by the end!

Kudos to the guys on the tandem. Nutters!

dazh

Second time for me and it was better route this time than a couple of years ago. I missed the cut-off by about 10 riders which was very lucky as I pretty empty by then. I could barely stay on the bike on the last descents as my back and shoulders aching so much. And that last climb was a bitch!

Nick

What was the approx time that the cut off closed?

senorj

crikey..forgot about the tandem.nice chaps.bonkers.
    I was also yo-yoing with a fella on a Merlin – he had smiley stickers
    on his pack – thanks for letting me past on the downs.

Also..how sweet was the flapjack?!lovely.

just finished cleaning me bike and my brake cable stay has
    worn away/snapped!!!!

CheesybeanZ

Votchy.. thanks for the company 😀 my first Dyfi, what a great event , big cheeers to the marshals n cheerleaders , my bike was definitely under ridered on some off the desents 😳

dazh

I'm not sure what time the cut-off closed but the marshall said I was in 260th place and I think it was closed after 250 riders passed through which was a bit close for my liking! I finished at about 3.30ish so I guess it closed at about 3pm, give or take 10 minutes or so.

foxyrider
    Free Member

I did it in 4.19 and was closed when I pitched up – I did see the last few riders doing the extra 3 Km loop at the top of the climb so I reckon it closed around 3.10 if were being anal 😉 so same as above 🙂

Whyte1
    Free Member

that was close i only just missed by a couple of hours

OrangeEvo
    Free Member

Brilliant event as ever – I think the way the locals get behind the ride makes the Dyfi a true classic.

Not sure if I was riding my bike on the downhill’s or just holding on to it :mrgreen: – apologies to those I was holding up as I cautiously picked my way down. Couldn’t believe some of the speeds people went past me on the descents – bonkers.

Sounds like I too only just missed the cut-off – thank God. Legs felt OK, but the tank was empty by the time I got to the finish. Definitely harder and more technical than the previous 4 Dyfi’s that I’ve done.

Awesome days riding 🙂

PocketShepherd
    Free Member

Amazing day out. i think it was slightly harder than last year, but including the world cup descent was awesome. as usual, brilliantly organized with a great atmosphere in the campsite and on the trails. and the rain held off on race day! what more could you ask for?! 😀

YellowBelly
    Free Member

Top day out, finished in about 3.5hrs.

Well done to the organisers for being brave enough to include some of those nasty descents in a mass participation event, some of which had me riding like a, er, roadie. World cup descent was nuts, the yooftube vid of it on the other thread doesnt show how steep bits of it really were. Rigid would have been hell. A&E must have been busy.

I must be getting fitter, as this year I managed to beat an old bloke from Builth and I saw Nick Craig covered in mud at the arena – he's normally back home having his tea by the time I finish.

One gripe- stop the locals walking their **** dogs at the start area for a few days beforehand, eh??

numplumz
    Free Member

Hardest UK single day event – I think the Kielder 100 would have something to say about that!

TeaBoyPaul

Yea, if thats harder than the Kielder 100 then I'll be a happy chap!!
    Really enjoyed the Dyfi though. I was riding it with my mate (the chap on the Merlin with the smiley stickers on his backpack mentioned above) Dan who was doing his 3rd EVER mountain bike ride… thats ride… not race, or event.. he'd only ever put his leg over an mtb twice before Sunday and he gave everything a go… RESPECT!

senorj

"Dan who was doing his 3rd EVER mountain bike ride… thats ride… not race, or event.. he'd only ever put his leg over an mtb twice before Sunday and he gave everything a go… RESPECT! "

++++1
    fair play to Dan.
    J.

Chainline
    Free Member

Cut off, I finished 5 o'oclock, didn't get diverted and did the full course, 38 miles plus an extra mile of climbing when my mate and I lost each other, both went back to find each other, missed each other on the way before being finally re-united!!! Muppets eh 😆 Single speed as well, really did not need the extra climbing.

Russell96

Chainline, did your chainring bolts last the distance in the end?

ilikebikes
    Free Member

Chainline +1 😯

votchy
    Free Member

A&E must have been busy.

Speaking to Fraz on Sunday night and he said they hadn't had to ambulance anyone out this year so well done everyone for being careful 😀

Surfr
    Free Member

Chainline, only the first 200 riders did the full course or punishment loop as some call it. If you finished at 5PM you must have been one of the last riders through and wouldn't have done the punishment loop.

Nick

I guess the fella who told us the extra loop was closed at around 3pm must have moved on, just some tape across a fireroad so you wouldn't have noticed it if he hadn't been there.

singlespeedstu

Chainline, only the first 200 riders did the full course or punishment loop as some call it.

I came through the cutoff point with sofaking in 184th and 185th. The Swede came through a few minutes behind us and was one of the last riders to make it. It was punisment but worth it for the pisstaking rights over the rest of our group that didn't make it. 😛

bullandbladder
    Free Member

Thanks Mole – I expect it sounded much worse from outside the tent than it really was. Perhaps you hadnt had enough to drink! Honestly, I was convinced the spirit of Jimi himself had joined us.

Frazjones – sorry about the vomit slick – It belonged to my mate Matt, not me. He said that sheep are known to be partial to 2nd-hand steak pie and carrot, so left it where it was.

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

Pics now available – searchable by rider number – at http://www.rightplacerighttime.co.uk

walla24
    Free Member

awesome pics rightplace, will you do a deal on multiple images?

Chainline
    Free Member

So was the Dyfi longer than 38miles this year if we did the 'short' loop, certainly we did not get diverted from the marked course and the GPS hasn't lied before, the final climb prior to the ace last descent felt like punishment.

TeaBoyPaul

I got 38.9 miles on my Garmin GPS. Thats from the gate in Mach back to the gate in Mach. Definitely did the extra loop.

Paul

Chainline
    Free Member

Russell96, yes, great ta, won't make that mistake again!

Chainline
    Free Member

checked the old garmin etrex vista, showed 38.7m gate to gate for the route with just under a mile of double back. We took the minor road over the bridge back to the campsite not the main road.

Irrelevant really, I had a blast, proved to my self I have some fitness at this stage since I need to work towards Kielder followed by Trans Provence 3 wks later, I don't want to think of T-P yet as it would appear it is 7 Dyfi's on the bounce…..

gary

actually, T-P felt a bit more like 2 Dyfis a day to me last year 🙂

Chainline
    Free Member

Cripes Gary if thats not motivation I don't know what is, at least I'll have gears!

gary

Well, maybe over-egging it a bit but it is exactly what I was thinking to myself last September! Maybe its just 1.5 🙂

aperrott
    Free Member

Was an awesome event, the sight of 730 bikes going through a small town was something to behold! A great and brilliantly organised day. The descents in the dyfi are just something else, steep and rocky but wide enough for lots of different line choices. Will definitely be there next year!

yetirose
    Free Member

i had a poooo in the woods at the halfway stop , two things that worry me , ime not that old , and i thought i was alone . 🙂

TheSwede
    Free Member
    goonie
    Free Member

loved this event first time for me!! got back to camp not long after 3pm will look to do better on the downhills next year well done to everyone who completed :mrgreen:

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘Dyfi 2010 – UK's hardest single day event?’ is closed to new replies.