Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • DX or Mallet platform spds?
  • allmountainventure
    Free Member

After breaking another set of cheaper m424 spd pedals I’m in the market for something a bit tougher, ie shimano dx or crankbro mallet. The mallets are twice the price…. depending which version, but are they worth it and will the dx be tough enough? I read bad things about the bearings in the mallets. True/false?

They need to put up with a fair bit of abuse in the form of rock strikes. Usually what I find is the cage seperates from the main part of the pedal, either by breaking the outside bolt, the retaining pin (making them spin) or cracking the cage.

Any recomendations?

oliverd1981
    Free Member

DX have a reputation for being as close as you’re likely to find to indestructible the resin platform is far stonger and much better designed than the cheaper version. I couldn’t tell you much about mine, I never have to think about them – they just work.

Crank Bros just have a reputation…

marthall
    Free Member

Switched from DX to Mallet 2s earlier this year. DX were great but I’d heard good things about CB cleats… and now I don’t think I could face switching back to DX/SPD. Early days to see if the bearings are crap but they were updated a while ago and are supposed to be better now.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Went to mallets after binning another set of Shimanos.

The feel of the mallets is a significant improvement.
    The new design (note here the design has changed so referencing old issues is pointless here) means bearing replacement is simple and takes about 10 mins to do on the 3’s.

Simon

Any recomendations?

Time Z Freeride, pretty much indestructable IME.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘DX or Mallet platform spds?’ is closed to new replies.