Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • DX Light problem, expert advice please
  • robinbetts
    Free Member

Finally got my DX light (bike specific one on the bars) about a month ago, and was very pleased with it. Took it up to Cwmcarn and had a great, but very wet, ride. No problems, all worked fine. Few days later charged the battery again and tried the light, no problems. Then I go away for two weeks…

First ride last night, after getting back last week, and the button on the light doesn't seem to work 🙁 When I plug the battery in, sometimes the light flashes on and then stays off, sometimes it just comes on and stays on (on full) and sometimes it doesn't light up at all. In all situations the button is lit up green but doesn't do anything when you push it.

I managed to have a decent ride by putting the battery in and out until the light came on and stayed on, but I don't think this is a very good long term solution. I do have an A in GCSE Elecronics from 10 years ago, but don't think that qualifies me to open it up and start blindly messing around with it! I know there are a good few people on here with some expertise when it comes to lighting elecronics, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance!

Robin

takisawa2

Why not send it back ?
    I've found DX returns to be quite good. They usually despatch your replacement as soon as you email them proof of posting for the returned item.

DickBarton

I had a very similar problem with my torch – but I found that if I backed off the battery housing a tiny wee bit, it worked no probs at all – really not sure why or how, but if I tighten the battery compartment lid (that houses the switch) too tight, the torch doesn't work – no use to you really but it could be a similar issue…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    robinbetts
    Free Member

So it returning a good idea then? I'd kind of thought of that as a last resort given it's back to Hong Kong. How much is that going to cost??

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Postage should be refunded if its a problem with the light, according to UK distance selling regs.

Send it now before xmas spaffs everything up. DX warrenty reportedly very good indeed.

jim
    Free Member

according to UK distance selling regs.

Do distance selling regulations actually apply to international purchases? I'd be surprised if they did.

spangelsaregreat
    Free Member

Hi, can confirm that they do post as soon as you send them proof of postage and they refund your costs too.

Took about two weeks for my replacement from start to finish.

Regards

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Do distance selling regulations actually apply to international purchases?

No sorry you're right, they do not, I'm being dappy.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

I have an MTE one which had poor soldering on the switch. Check that it's not the driver by shorting the back of the battery to the case with the tail cap off. If it lights up fine and if you can change modes by momentarily breaking contact, then it's not the driver or LED at fault.
    If you do fancy re-soldering the switch you'll probably have to make some pins to unscrew the back plates under the switch. Be very careful to solder QUICKLY as I managed to melt the switch! Still, 5 replacement switches from DX cost less than returning the light, and I've just shorted the switch connections until the switches arrive.

tinsy
    Free Member

bikwhisperer… is that a 5 mode? and can i mod mine so its just an on off switch?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘DX Light problem, expert advice please’ is closed to new replies.