DWR Softshells, they’re awesome !

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • DWR Softshells, they’re awesome !
  • Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/nukeproof-blackline-softshell-jacket/rp-prod178011

Bought one of these after ordering about 10 jackets in the last few weeks from CRC… This one just fitted perfectly and is amazing at balling/removing water… Really really impressed.

Tips for keeping the DWR working appreciated though. It’s that nice i don’t actually want to wear it as a cycling jacket as it will get a hard time of it out in the mud…

r8jimbob88

I’d follow the manufactures guidance with regards to washing / renewing DWR.

Personally my softshells get washed in Nikwax Techwash and then left to air dry. Occasionally a cool 40 mins in the dryer. Once in a while it gets a spray on DWR treatment. I don’t think many manufacturers recommend the wash in type.

Don’t use fabric softener it’ll ruin it.

Better still don’t ride in the rain – my first choice

greeny30

Blatant returns policy abuse, I’d give up after 2 and go to a shop, or do some research first.

Premier Icon matt_outandabout
    Subscriber

Your comment about fit is the most important. A good fit (for you) and some fine detailing to keep wet out is most important in my view.

Fancy fabrics and big claims come second.

The water-resistant outer fabric of the Blackline Softshell Jacket is rated to 15,000mm

That is more than some proper waterproofs.

Breathability: 10,000 gsm

That’s half a good jacket these days.

It appears you have bought a waterproof that has a soft woven outer and fluffy inner. Win.

Don’t over wash it. Buy a spray on Grainger’s or Nikwax proofing. A low temp tumble dry works well after you proof it.

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

Better still don’t ride in the rain – my first choice

Rain won’t be my issue, it will be sweat. When i do a Zwift race for example i lose nearly 3lb in ‘weight’ through sweating. So as you can imagine, if i ride outdoors, any clothing gets absolutely drenched and therefore needs washing each and every ride, without fail.

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

Blatant returns policy abuse, I’d give up after 2 and go to a shop, or do some research first.

I went to 3 LBSs and tried on various jackets. None of them fitted as nicely…. I then went to CRC and ordered 2…. then 3 others… then 2 others…. I kept 1.

Premier Icon oikeith
    Subscriber

weeksy how tall are you and whats you waist? tempted to gamble and see if this would fit me, being lanky means most jackets dont and will show my lower back all ride.

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

I’m dead on 6’0 mate and waist is a 36″

Jacket doesn’t seem short in the length or in the arms. Only fault i have in sizing is that the hood is HUGE ! but it’s designed to go over a bike helmet so it has to be….

I ended up with a large, i got both the large and the XL delivered in this one.

Premier Icon BadlyWiredDog
    Subscriber

It appears you have bought a waterproof that has a soft woven outer and fluffy inner.

Yep, it’s a polyester jacket with a PU membrane. It still won’t be totally waterproof unless the seams are taped. I’d take the breathability / MVT figure with a pinch of salt – they’re notoriously random, particularly with backed fabrics. There’s one ‘test’ out there that says that Gore-Tex Active is ‘more breathable’ than a cotton tee-shirt because of the mechanics of one particular test.

On the DWR front, Polyester tends to take a DWR treatment slightly better than Nylon/Polyamide, but the treatments never really last particularly when you throw mud and grime on them on a bike. I’d try just washing normally, but maybe double rinse afterwards. Normal detergents leave wetting agents and optical brighteners on the fabric which affect DWR treatments. If you’re being super fussy you’d only ever wash with a pure soap cleaner or a technical wash, but if you’re doing that regularly it gets irritating and expensive.

Anyway, if you’re someone who runs hot and sweaty, for actual riding you’d probably be better off with a more breathable jacket like Rab’s VapourRise Alpine or the Alpkit Morphosis. You’d get less outright weather protection, but better breathability/comfort. Probably.

Sorry for blathering on 🙂

Premier Icon a11y
    Subscriber

I’d ordered that Nukeproof softshell a few weeks ago. Lovely jacket, felt well made, but far too heavy for me. As BWD alludes to above, if you run hot and sweaty I imagine it’d be too warm for most. Almost kept it as a casual jacket though as it really is a lovely jacket.

But I returned it and bought the Alpkit Morphosis instead. I run hot/sweaty and it’s been ace so far this winter. Nicely made and a really good cut/fit on me – 6’1ish and broad shouldered (and body…) in an XL. A tad baggy around body but perfect in the arms. Didn’t try a large but suspect it would’ve been too short in the arms. Much lighter weight and will pack down much smaller than the Nukeproof if necessary.

Saying that. all the Nukeproof clothing I’ve bought recently has been really nice stuff so can’t go wrong.

Premier Icon Del
    Subscriber

Blatant returns policy abuse, I’d give up after 2 and go to a shop, or do some research first

So what? I don’t like returning stuff, it’s a hassle, but if stuff needs to go back it needs to. It’s a cost of doing business as an online retailer. Clear, concise descriptions probably help reduce returns.

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

I hope you’re happy with yourself Weeksy, you monster…

Wiggle posts pre-tax loss of £132.5 million

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

LOL I’ve given them £500 in the last 12 months… I’m doing my bit 🙂

stevextc

If you’re being super fussy you’d only ever wash with a pure soap cleaner or a technical wash, but if you’re doing that regularly it gets irritating and expensive.

90% of the time I just stick them in in the sink with warm water, the other 10% I usually do that first as washing machines don’t like sand and other particles.

My sink is connected almost directly into the main drain.

therefore needs washing each and every ride, without fail.

Eh? You’re going biking, not out on the pull! 🙄😂

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

Eh? You’re going biking, not out on the pull!

I can’t even imagine the smell after 2-3 rides without washing..

Premier Icon lawman91
    Subscriber

I swear by my 7Mesh Softshells, got a Strategy and Recon in their sale a few years back and they have been ace. Recon is great with a thinner baselayer for mild spring/autumn rides but also good for cold-ish winter rides and thicker base. The Strategy is fleece lined and only really comes out on much colder rides. with a thick base layer it’s comfortable well below freezing. Both use different grades of Gore Windstopper so a great in light showers too, anything heavier and they get overwhelmed eventually. I just stick mine in the wash with the rest of my riding kit on a low temperature and hang dry as per their recommendations, though I have stuck them in the drier a couple of times just to re-proof them.

Premier Icon rossburton
    Subscriber

That jacket does look good, does anyone also have the trousers?

endomick

I’ll be giving my new jacket a quick sniff after reading this, you don’t know where they’ve been, I’ll also be looking out for riders with the tags still on 😁

Premier Icon cynic-al
    Subscriber

Looks like a perfect jacket for me for 2 season commuting, except for the arms/body length ratio, I hat would be down to the crotch on my jeans if it’s long enough for my arms.

Tips for keeping the DWR working

Following, I have found it lasts no time and no proofer ever gets it back.

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

I like how softshells dry out quick when you’re working hard, I don’t really notice or care if mine don’t bead.

Does DWR treatment make them less breathable, I wonder?

Premier Icon BadlyWiredDog
    Subscriber

Does DWR treatment make them less breathable, I wonder?

No.

I’ve been wondering what I’d do when my Surface Snugflex hoody dies and I think that might be it.

Premier Icon rossburton
    Subscriber

My snugflex died years ago and I’ve been pining ever since. 😢

“Does DWR treatment make them less breathable, I wonder?”

Nope, more if anything! Since we switched to a DWR-friendly laundry liquid at home I’ve taken to proofing more and more of my gear (gloves, shorts, fleeces, etc) because it keeps you drier in the wet and dries out quicker.

Premier Icon Rubber_Buccaneer
    Subscriber

DWR-friendly laundry liquid

Have you found something cheaper than NikWax? What is it?

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.