dw link, rp23, and bobbing

Home Forum Bike Forum dw link, rp23, and bobbing

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • dw link, rp23, and bobbing
  • xcentric

Recently got back into mtb’ing on an Ibis Mojo, and do like the bike. However, whilst it doesn’t bounce around when pedalling uphill, if I look down I can see the shock moving rhythmically in time with my pedalling. Ok – time for some propedal – which makes no difference. Bouncing the bike up and down with pp on and off seems to make no difference either. Took it back tothe LBS who said, essentially. “they all do that sir” esp on dw link bikes – and whilst the leverage ratios and shim and dampings will be different, that doesn’t make that much sense to me, really.

Any other Mojo owners out there who can comment, or dw-link owners, or rp23 experts? (and yes, it is set up right for sag, and yes, I’ve tried it on propedal 3 which is max).

thanks for any thoughts…

d45yth

Could something be wrong with the rebound on the shock? In my experience DW link are less prone to bob than a lot of other suspension designs…it’s the way the rotating links counteract each other, because of this they don’t even need a shock with any platform built in! I have a Mojo HD and the suspension is much firmer than my old VPP bike. I only sometimes flick the PP on if doing a long road section.

P.s. I think the bloke in your LBS has been sniffing degreaser!

mrmo

out of interest how would you describe your pedalling style. The choppier the pedalling the harder job the shock is going to have to keep things nice and controlled.

Rorschach

Just a thought…maybe just maybe its you…. mashing on the pedals like you’re trying to chop wood.
    If you really can’t tell the difference between the pro-pedal settings than its eithr broken or you are very insensitive.
    Then again I’ve seen people who could make a rigid bob!!!Concentrate on spinning smooth circles…….or buy a fixie to learn how to pedal……or get a lockout.

mudmonster

Have a DW flux and it moves only a tiny amount. Only notice on road climbs really. Don’t really need pro-pedal at all.

d45yth

Even if the OP’s biking name is Stompatron, setting the PP to 3 especially on a DW link bike, should make it pretty much solid. I wonder if he hasn’t enough air in the shock so it feels more active? With the suspension set up on my HD(140), it’s definitely not smooth on the smaller stuff…get on some rougher terrain and it opens up nicely though! ๐Ÿ™‚

Premier Icon kiwijohn
    Subscriber

My Iron Horse MkIII uses a Float R. It has light compression damping & I have the rebound fully open. No bob.

xcentric

it may well be me ๐Ÿ™‚ however, whilst I’m riding flat pedals and so not as scoopy and lifting as on spd’s, I am reasonably smooth. Do tend to use a lower cadence than many – my legs don’t go round that fast – but I’m not a stomper…..

@d45yth – is it clearly different with pp on – e.g. off the bike and you push up and down on the saddle, can you feel a difference? when pedalling, with pp on (and off, tbh) do you notice the shock moving – say on gentle uphill on smooth terrain, for e.g.

xcentric

running about 200-210 psi in the shock (am 90 kgs – excuse the mixed units!) – and I fully accept that, as a new bike to me, it’s not tuned in yet. Rebound is about half way, and not quite right yet – would that make the difference I’m seeing?

option is to send the shock off for checking, which the lbs are happy to do (tough not clear who’d be paying :-)) Don’t want to do this if it’s likely to be me tho ๐Ÿ™‚

julians

I have a mojo HD with an RP23, and it doesnt bob much when pedalling up hill if you sit and spin, if you look at the shock you can see that it does move a little bit . If you stand out of the seat and ‘power’ up the hill it still doesnt move that much.

I cant really tell any difference in pedalling efficiency between propedal on at level 3 and off completely, but if I leave it switched on for a downhill section the bike does feel far less supple over the bumps.

ChunkyMTB

The platform on the shock isn’t working as it should.

xcentric

@ChunkyMTB – so is there anything I can do to check this in more detail? Any settings on shock I can adjust to demonstrate it more? Or does it just have to be sent off? One of the LBS’s comments, kinda echoed here, is that on the dw-link bikes it’s not as obvious an effect, cos of the efficiency of the suspension itself…..

duir

I have the new DW Split Pivot on my Devinci Dixon with RP23. Not sure if yours is split pivot or old DW link but the split pivot has almost zero movement in the climb when it’s smooth but has a lot of small bump sensitivity when the climb gets rough. Maybe just not quite correctly tuned/setup for you so maybe worth a call to TF or a different air can size etc?

isogoat

You should be able to feel the difference between PP on and off, the back of the bike will feel stiffer with it on. My dw/5 spot/rp23 bobs only the smallest amount without PP, so little I never use PP

gsp1984

How old is your rp23? The does the dial have a 0, 1 and 2 (latest version) or does it have a 1, 2 and 3? (old version)

I have the new version on a single pivot bike and with propedal lever flicked across the bike feels completely different when climbing. I didn’t use it for the first month and was amazed at the difference when I started too. If you jump up and down on the bike the shock is still supposed to move like normal. It’s not supposed to be a lockout.

thepodge

propedal isn’t lockout. are you sure you not getting confused. the shock / suspension will move even with propedal on.

I was told that the giant version of dw link is so good that they don’t think you’d need a shock with propedal but people thought they were down specing their bikes only putting a basic shock on. so now they supply frames with a propedal shock but with it tuned so low it doesn’t really work (compared to normal shock settings).

could be similar on your setup

xcentric

@thepodge – don’t think I am getting confused – I know it’s low speed compression only, but would expect to feel a difference off the bike too…. it could well be specc’d to do little, but I can’t see the point in that (though I agree it is done).

@gsp1984 – it’s got 1, 2, 3 – so 3 levels of propedal (in theory) – not like the supposed lockout of the new version. But it’s an early 2011 model, so not that old…..

Whyte1

Try setting the rebound to 4 clicks from full ( slow ) then fine tune a click either way , but the main thing is if it rides good as a little movement aint gona kill you or slow you down either

LoCo

If you’re worried abou the function of the shock return it to Fox for a warranty inspection (if it’s less than 12 months old) then you’ll know if it’s a fault or a setup issue,

if it’s 12 month old then it’s probably due a service as it may have cavitated, causing the ‘bobby damping’

Premier Icon vinnyeh
    Subscriber

On my old mojo I never noticed bob, but as said above the shock remains active- are you sure you’re not just seeing it moving cos you’re riding over stuff? If you just lean on the saddle standing by the bike you should be able to feel the difference in the way the shock reacts to the pressure with pro pedal on and off, though I couldn’t really notice it riding the bike- does this happen?

Did you buy the bike new then- there’s not a seal gone or something is there?
    How much sag are you running – I ran just under 25% , though I’ve now gone up to around 30% on my mojo hd, and there is a noticeable difference between pp on and off.

Premier Icon jameso
    Subscriber

I think mrmo and rorschach have it – it’s simply your pedalling, legs weigh alot and are going up and down at 70-odd rpm.. even Dave Weagle can’t design something that overrules basic physics )

xcentric

@Whyte1 – thanks, will try it like that.
    @vinnyeh – it’s ex-demo so comes with full new warranty – hence I want to get it checked earlier rather than later….. so something could be wrong, but may well not be…..
    @jameso – could be the case – esp if other mojo owners find the same thing. (Didn’t notice it so much on a pivot mach 5.7 when I demo’d it tho – but didn’t pay as much attention, so doesn’t mean everything…..)

Premier Icon jameso
    Subscriber

To be fair, although propedal won’t eliminate all pedalling / body motion induced shock movement, you should feel a difference between propedal settings. It’s subtle but on tarmac I can feel the added compression stability, it’s almost like ‘good stiction’.

mrquad

I’ve had 2 mojos in the past year and I found them to be just like xcentric describes. I also had difficulty telling if the pro-pedal was on or off. Can’t say that it bothered me much though…

Its interesting to note that you mention you can see it moving as you pedal. Perhaps you’re just over thinking the minor movement that you are seeing?

Have you perceived an actual detriment to your riding, or are you just obsessing like mtber’s do?

๐Ÿ˜‰

The short links do tend to be easier to spot when they’re moving, and in any case, the shop is right – they do ‘all do that sir’, to varying degrees.

However, if mojo don’t down tune their damping, than max pro pedal should make a difference – It still does on my DW 5 spot, so perhaps theres a genuine issue with the shock.

My moneys on the obsessing though. ๐Ÿ˜ˆ

xcentric

My moneys on the obsessing though.

mmmm – think mine is too ๐Ÿ™‚

but I may get some tarmac time to see, as per jameso’s comment.

thanks for comments so far.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘dw link, rp23, and bobbing’ is closed to new replies.