DVLA ineptitude/bailiffs/recovery of money paid?

Home Forum Chat Forum DVLA ineptitude/bailiffs/recovery of money paid?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • DVLA ineptitude/bailiffs/recovery of money paid?
  • So my sister is a bit of a tit when it comes to money and advice.
    She p/x her car in May this year and has proof of this. Car has since been sold on by the dealer, which has also changed hands since May.

DVLA have apparently been sending my sister letters about paying the RFL due from August 2012. She claims to have no knowledge of these letters, and anyway it’s not her problem having sold the car. Letter from some “bailiffs” (?) drops through the letterbox today advising her that the DVLA have passed on her details due to non-payment of a fine arising from non-payment of the tax in August and they will be visiting to make collection of monies owed.
    She’s done the rounds of pretty much every department of the DVLA who have either informed her that it’s not their department or she hasn’t notified them of the sale of the car. Sister has proof of sale of car to dealers, but DVLA don’t want to know. Neither do the “bailiffs”, and she’s now paid them £80 to get them off her back. How she’s managed to get this far in life, I do not know.

Anyway, she gives me an earful for telling her she’s wasted £80 and then hung up the phone, but I wouldn’t mind helping her reclaim it if possible, what with it being Christmas and all that. Any ideas what the best way to go about this is?

Oh and I’m currently arguing with the DVLA too. Depsite having a “signed for” recorded delivery number for a V5C documenting colour change and address update for my car, they are adamant I’ve never sent them one and need to pay them £25 to get an updated V5C. Bunch of arse.

project

Make a request for a data protection fact file in her name,should cost about a tenner and no more on it will be listed all the details dvla have about your sister, and you will then know idf they have recieved the correct paperwork etc.

Address it tothe data controller dvla.

poly

As I understand it:

When you sell a car it is your responsibility (not the dealers) to inform the DVLA.
    DVLA acknowledge the change of keeper letter – if you don’t get this within a month its worth following up with them.
    Registerred keeper is not necessarily owner. So proof of change of ownership is not proof of transfer of keeper.
    When your tax disc is due for renewal it is your responsibility not the DVLAs to know this. If you didn’t tell them you sold it you are still the keeper so its still your responsibility.
    The DVLA do however helpfully write to you to remind you. Any failure to do this (or for you to receive the letter is not their fault).
    The DVLA will send you a threatening letter if you don’t do this.
    I imagine before the DVLA refer it to bailifs there are several letters.
    It would be unwise to ignore these letters just because they relate to your old vehicle.

Is it really credible that your sister did everything she should have done, but the DVLA failed at every single step of its procedures?

If she has only had to pay £80 – thats not bad; there would have been an option to go to court but unless she can prove she is not the keeper (a letter from DVLA acknowledging the change) or that she had paid VED (e.g. with a tax disk, or receipt) then she would be uncertain of coming away scot free. BUT she should ensure that DVLA now have the correct keepers details (or at least not hers!) or it will all happen again in a few months.

Oh, and maybe the £80 is the ‘shock’ she needs to get her affairs / paperwork in order and realise that car ownership comes with legal responsibilities.

WTf happened to the £80 then snorted off a heroin addicted whorez asshole.
    Never pay ballifs from having as seen on YouTube.

But as stated above, sounds like she did not follow procedure after having sold the vehicle in question

Premier Icon maccruiskeen
    Subscriber

WTf happened to the £80 then snorted off a heroin addicted whorez asshole.
    Never pay ballifs from having as seen on YouTube.

yes.

err, I mean no

what?

Cuz bailiffs r dayt kinda tyipe!

Compredayyy!

jonah tonto

i had baliffs come round trying to get £300 for an unpaid parking fine. he was a big **** and came charging at me (i guess he was hoping me to back off from my own doorstep. i didnt.) when he was really close, he stopped (what else could he do) and i said “what now then?” – he looked embarrassed and swore a bit but left. i called the council and sorted out the mistake, i had paid it months ago. but what if i had been scared? i bet lots of people just hand over cash to these bully goons. your never getting that £80 back, i promise you these guys are just thieves preying on the weak… unfortunately it often works

Cameroon has to put action into place not to mention local good for no hardworking councils!

Yeah. She’s still pissed off at me for pointing out her error, as if it’s all my fault, so I might just let her chalk this one up to experience after all. Cheers for taking the time to reply though.

Premier Icon teethgrinder
    Subscriber

Bailiffs can only be appointed by a court, surely.
    No CCJ, no pay the monkey.

b r

When sending in the sale piece of the V5, also put your new car V5 in the same envelope.

That way when the robbing Bar Stewards send you threatening letters you can inform them that it must be they who’ve lost the paper, as they already sent you the updated V5 of your new car!

Twice now this has happened to us.

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

I would be most concerned that “paying £80” equates to “admission of guilt.” I’d suggest she takes steps to recover that sharpish.

poly

br – When sending in the sale piece of the V5, also put your new car V5 in the same envelope.

That way when the robbing Bar Stewards send you threatening letters you can inform them that it must be they who’ve lost the paper, as they already sent you the updated V5 of your new car!

Twice now this has happened to us.do you think maybe you are confusing the system by putting two things in the same envelope then?

Bailiffs can only be appointed by a court, surely.

so either it was a debt collection agency (pre court) OR it was a Baillif? which means its been to court, and paperwork would have been cited on her too…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘DVLA ineptitude/bailiffs/recovery of money paid?’ is closed to new replies.