• This topic has 30 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by DrJ.
Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • DVLA fine for not updating address
  • fingerbang
    Free Member

quick question: because I’m an idiot I’ve not updated the address on my driving licence for 4.5 years, and 4 address changes.

I just went to change it but the online system didn’t work – but apparently you can get fined? Am i likely to get a big fine?

Another question: since when has it been free? I’ve not done it in the past cos I remember there being a fee. Im trying to understand why I’ve not done it.

Edit: Im fully aware the holier-than-thou members will want to scald me and take the P.. but whatevs – give it to me

spooky_b329

I’d be more worried about the speeding fines/unpaid tolls/parking charges that could be about to catch up with you…

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

I’d be more worried about the speeding fines/unpaid tolls/parking charges that could be about to catch up with you…

Thought that stuff was done via the vehicle registration rather than the driving licence?

spooky_b329

@dickyhepburn

Yep I think you are probably right 🙂

frankconway

I’ve always been years late in updating and have never been fined or penalised in any other way.
    May have been lucky but think it’s institutional incompetence.

bearnecessities

I’ve always been years late in updating and have never been fined or penalised in any other way.

Don’t be so hard on yourself 🙃

breadcrumb

You’ll be reet.

FiL was pulled by the police and got a polite telling off for not updating his address on his license, only 15 years or so since he lived in the address on his license. Updated and nothing was said.

welshfarmer

When I moved to Germany back in the mid 90’s I had to surrender my old GB paper licence and got given a nice red German paper one instead. This was my only licence up until Brexit (oops!) when I thought it might be prudent to change back to a UK licence. Luckily I had kept a photocopy of my old GB paper one so I simply filled in the online application for a lost licence using my old details and current address (which was the same as on the original paper one), and hey presto, £20 and a week later and I now have a nice new credit card UK drivers licence. I still have the old paper German one somewhere but doubt it is of much use any longer.

timber

My change of address tied up with the photo expiring.
    Sent off for a free change of address, got a phonecall to say my photo would expire in 6 months, but as they can see a recent photo on the passport system they’ll update it with that at the same time, no cost.
    Was exactly the same photo but another 10 years on the card.

Northwind

frankconway

DVLA’s been underresourced for years, covid’s pretty much brought it to its knees, they’re not capable of delivering the basics now. Not their fault of course. It’s about 10 months since I started my licence renewal but I’m sure it’ll arrive any day now.

fingerbang
    Free Member

Yeah, I tried updating my details twice online and it failed for no reason

The website was so clunky I had to keep checking it wasn’t a phishing scam

Twodogs

Not their fault of course. It’s about 10 months since I started my licence renewal but I’m sure it’ll arrive any day now.

You might want to check…mine took about 3 days last year!

Northwind

Twodogs

You might want to check…mine took about 3 days last year!

I have- took them 6 months to get as far as deciding that I needed to fill in an extra form (which I’d already filled in) and then a few more to decide that I needed a gp medical when I’d said in the first covering letter “I’ll probably need a medical”. So now it’s in someone else’s 10 foot deep in-tray.

Aidy
    Free Member

Another question: since when has it been free?

Address updates have always been free, I think.

onehundredthidiot

I was impressed in October when they sent a reminder that my licence was about to “run out” and needed replacing at end of December. Of course given such a long lead time I left it until December when I noticed it HAD run out last December. Took about a week to arrive almost a year to the day of it expiring.

Mate had same issue last year but his work wouldn’t let him drive on an expired licence because it was tied in with his hgv it took months.

cp

Another question: since when has it been free?

Address changes have always been free.

stumpyjon

Don’t forget to update your keepers details for the vehicle as well, pretty hefty fine for that as well and that could impact on other fines and charges. Lots of people end up with CCJs that way through private parking charges and then they have credit issues.

singletrackmind

iirc It is an offense not to update your DL address . Although i think its one the police use if they cant find a valid reason to give you 3 points if your a being a dickhead , like unsecured battery and no washer fluid. Be polite , and you will get word in your ear , be a cock and a NIP is on its way.
    ( knowledge gleaned from watching far too much cops on the front line enjoying chasing lads from Brum around in souped up Audis that they dont actually own tv )

RoterStern
    Free Member

I had to change my UK licence to a German one last year because of B*%$t. I hadn’t changed mine since I got it thirty-five odd years ago before that and it had my address from when I was 17 on it. Never had any problems even though here in Germany they knew I had been living in Germany for 20 years! The woman at the registration office asked if I had registered my old licence in Germany and then said after looking ‘Oh yes, you have already got points on it in Flensburg!’

Sui
    Free Member

As much as the DVSA/DVLA whatever they are now, are aweful to get hold off, my wallet was stolen before christmas (with license inside), i had a new copy through the post in about 5 days of applying online!

sharkbait
    Free Member

It’s about 10 months since I started my licence renewal but I’m sure it’ll arrive any day now.

Just for balance, I had a letter through in December saying that my photo licence was going to expire and I needed a new one.
    Went online, completed whatever was needed and the new licence appeared in the post a few days later.
    Painless (esp when you let them use your passport photo so you don’t have to supply a new one)

Northwind

If it’s a bog-standard replacement then yes it’s fast, it’s got to be pretty much completely automated these days. If it’s anything else then it’s not.

judetheobscure
    Free Member

I didn’t just forget to change my address, I forgot to renew my license. I only found out when I got a £250 debt collection agency letter for the London congestion charge from about eight months earlier! When I went to change my address I realised that my license had expired six months earlier (though luckily two months after the penalty charge).

I renewed my license and it took no more than about 10 days to come through. All this was last November.

argee

Just nip down the post office and do it via their system, if you need a new picture it’s done there as well, less hassle unless you head there on the pensioners outing day!

GolfChick
    Free Member

You could be the woman who hasn’t changed her address on her V5, she has at least one big parking fine when she finally decides to change it. At least that’s what the letters that keep coming to our address says!

Saccades
    Free Member

On the flip side for the DVLA, I found them incredibly helpful and effective when I was chasing my license which hadn’t been updated since 95 and loads of moves (including abroad) and the subsequent change from UK to Irish license when every other West Brit was doing the same.

Edukator
    Free Member

I’ve had my French pink paper license for 30 years, the address is wrong and the photo looks more like my son than me. The gendarmes never comment.

DrJ

DVLA don’t help themseves by having an archaic system relying on original documents. eg – to change the name on your licence, you need to send original documents such as passports – post office validated copies not accepted. What kind of fool will send their actual real life passport to DVLA to get lost in a months-big inbox?

poly
    Free Member

Its almost unheard of for them to prosecute for failing to update your driver details.
    Its always been free (assuming you have the old license to send back – the cost is if you’ve lost the license).

@DrJ
    – don’t usually need to send your Passport to DVLA at all – the back office systems are linked (you might need to give them permission) but if you have a recent passport they will issue an up-to-date DL from your passport photo.

MrSparkle

Im fully aware the holier-than-thou members will want to scald me

Bit harsh…

DrJ

@DrJ – don’t usually need to send your Passport to DVLA at all

If you have a UK passport that’s true, but if you have a forrin one, you need to send it.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘DVLA fine for not updating address’ is closed to new replies.