Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)
  • DVD vs BLURAY
  • barnsleymitch
    Free Member

I think it’s because I expected a similar difference between BLURAY / DVD to that between hd and sd, and I honestly can’t see that big a difference. Set up is good, decent cables, etc, I just suppose I was expecting more.

grum
    Free Member

The main difference is they don’t really put any extras on DVDs any more, to try and encourage everyone to go to bluray. I must be a freak as I only have a 19″ telly in my front room so none of it will make much difference anyway.

zilog6128

Because of the way the channels are ordered on the Sky box, my OH keeps switching the TV onto SD versions of HD channels; then I walk in and think “christ, have I developed cataracts?”

😆 yep, this happens in my house too! My GF will also happily listen to music played from her laptop speakers despite the fact there is an optical cable next to it that will connect it to the seperates!

molgrips
    Free Member

I think it’s because I expected a similar difference between BLURAY / DVD to that between hd and sd, and I honestly can’t see that big a difference

Hang on – HD and SD telly?

You can see the difference between HD and SD telly, but not blu ray and dvd?

petrieboy

Depends on the film really, if you are watching identikit romantic comedy’s, there’s not much to see, but anything with decent cinematography can be epic. The remastered TopGun is hugely impressive and Machete is also a treat.
    That said, I’m watching on an HD projector so differences will be more noticable. Sit closer!!

GeForceJunky

As above, makes a huge difference on a 120″ projector.

fatboyslo
    Free Member

interesting thread …

I have to say I can see a clear differance between DVD and Blu Ray but on carefully reading through I think I have worked out your issue….

1/ Cables all good
    2 / TV set up correctly for 1080p
    3/ You can tell HD and SD tv apart clearly …
    4/ Film was a ( fairly ) recent release so should be a good quality disc …

Which all points to the conclusive proof

You bought one of those 3 version sets ( Blu Ray, DVD & Digital ) and have been playing the DVD in error 😉

IT’s A JOKE ( for those with humour failure) 😯

But honestly …. does any one know why they do that … I mean I have a Blu Ray player so why the DVD… Digital copy for PC or laptop fair enough ….

molgrips
    Free Member

Blu ray for the living room, DVD for the car or some other device. Also much easier to rip from the DVD, cos the digital copy is copy protected and only works on one device – Windows only too I think.

P20

In my experience modern up scaling is very good. My blu-ray will upscale DVDs with a noticeable difference to my older player. Blu ray with modern films are sharper again. That’s on an older 32″ 720 screen

vorlich
    Free Member

Buy Blade Runner on BD, one of the best transfers, astounding looking.
    Also, sit closer to the telly. 😉

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

Nah, the MTBing is better in Swinley.

There isn’t anywhere better than Swinley. In all weathers, regardless of tyres – Swinley is tops. Except at night on a solo night ride, then there are too many axe-wielding rapists to make it enjoyable.

I used to live there. Don’t any more, and now I’m fat.

molgrips
    Free Member

I was in there last night. Very dark, rather foggy, very muddy indeed and even more difficult to navigate than usual.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Either your telly’s shit or you need

To set it up properly – it could well be that your telly is downgrading BluRay through trying to ‘enhance’ it. Turn off all the picture enhancement modes, set up brightness/contrast/colour using a test card.

DVD’s look a *lot* better than broadcast TV as there’s much less compression. They can look really good but a good BluRay transfer is sublime.

seosamh77
    Free Member

molgrips – Member

It’s not supposed, it’s bloody obvious.I agree it is a big difference(anyone that can’t tell needs specs), just doesn’t really bother me all that much about having it or not. I’ve watched plenty of HD but it doesn’t really add or take away a great deal of the film experience for me.

thefallguy
    Free Member

For me the biggest difference isnt picture but sound quality, the difference is quite amazing

Ah, read the whole thread before someone finally hit the nail on the head #thefallguy.

Yes, you can tell the difference in PQ if set up properly, but the sound when through a nice Yamaha amp and Kef speakers for example (just quoting my own setup) is night and day. Dolby HD and DTS Master Audio will blow you away when compared to bog standard DD 5.1, or DTS.

uwe-r – Member

There is a guy in my office that spunked £1,600 on his 3d HD TV set and 4x glasses.

What a dick.

Why’s he a dick?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

If you give your upsampler a higher quality signal in the first place it can do a better job.

So it is likely to produce better results from a DVD than SD tv, which should really be termed LD tv, for low definition.

For example, I have noticed that if a TV series has been filmed in HD originally, then the SD broadcast is much higher quality and the gap between SD and HD is much lower.

But on a TV that size and sitting that close you really should be able to see the difference. I think you need to go to Richer Sounds and buy one of their £84 HDMI leads…

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Why’s he a dick?

3d is a gimmick and it would be better if they just broadcast higher resolutions.

Some good TVs are very good at showing depth on a picture, which is good enough unless you get your kicks at having thing floating around in front of you.

And still – why’s he a dick?

He can spend his money on what he likes. He probably really enjoys watching his 3D tv.

jon1973
    Free Member

3d is a gimmick

…unless you get your kicks at having thing floating around in front of you.

er…which is exactly why someone would buy a 3D TV presumably, so if that’s what you want it isn’t really a gimmick.

That’s like saying mountain bikes are a gimmick unless you get your kicks out of riding bikes off road.

sbob
    Free Member

never been too fussed about the HD revolution tbh..

Now TVs are six times the size they need to be, HD is necessary to bring the quality back to that of an old CRT.

footflaps

Ironically the new 13″ MacBook Pro is about 60% higher res than HD!

zokes
    Free Member

Ironically, the above isn’t irony (unless you follow Alanis’ definition)

Still not sure why the guy spending 1600 quid on a TV is a dick either. The irony of someone who presumably spends shed loads on “push bikes” compared to non cyclists complaining about someone else being slightly extravagant with their telly is not lost.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Now TVs are six times the size they need to be, HD is necessary to bring the quality back to that of an old CRT.

The broadcast needs to be better, I agree, which it is these days I think, not HD but good enough for my purposes.

But tbh watching normal tele on my 40in doesn’t really bother me, i sit about 3 meters atleast from it anyhow, so i don’t really need HD.

Only time I sit close enuough to get the benefit of HD is for the playstation games, and even they are only 720p which does..

Plus films, I’ll just download the 700mb avi’s which is ok for me. although the 1.4gb ones are noticibly better and I prefer those.

It’s just a personal preference… I understand the difference in quality and can see it clearly. I just don’t need it, DVD quality or something approaching it is more than enough for me.

Also talking about CRTs i can’t watch an old CRT without hurting my eyes these days, anybody else notice that, it really feels a strain compared to watching an LCD.

seosamh77
    Free Member

superHD will be the next step to part people with more cash(in 5/6 years I’d guess, possibly 10 though), I’ll most definitly not be buying to that. It’s about 16 times the quality of current HD.

Good for cinemas, no need for it in the home.

molgrips
    Free Member

The reason I upgraded my TV to a bigger one was for Playstation games. I couldn’t read any of the text.

I agree it is a big difference(anyone that can’t tell needs specs), just doesn’t really bother me all that much about having it or not

Well quite. A shite film is still a shite film 🙂 I notice when I start watching a DVD after a Blu ray, but only for the first 2 mins, then I don’t care any more.

It’s a lot less than the difference between DVD and VHS, I think.

MrOvershoot

thefallguy – Member
    For me the biggest difference isnt picture but sound quality, the difference is quite amazing

+100

Though getting the telly set up makes a huge difference.

alfabus
    Free Member

We have a projector and screen – at 80″ you can really notice a massive difference between Bluray and upscaled DVD. Much sharper, and loads more details – the colours are a lot more vivid too.

My previous experiences of BluRay had been on mates’ 32″ and 40″ tellies, and I wasn’t impressed with the difference. On mine though, it is like night and day.

Dave

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Or you can just stick with a small TV and sit further away… I can tell if the cinematography is good without being able to see into every pore and having a 32″ LCD in the corner is far more elegant than filling the room with a 46″+ energy behemoth.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

I was in there last night. Very dark, rather foggy, very muddy indeed and even more difficult to navigate than usual.

Thats sounds ace – good thick night air.

molgrips
    Free Member

having a 32″ LCD in the corner is far more elegant than filling the room with a 46″+ energy behemoth.

I don’t think so. A corner TV takes up more room, and a nice wall mounted tv of a reasonable size is a nice room item imo. Plus it’s easier to watch up high.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I don’t think so. A corner TV takes up more room,

Well more floorspace obviously, but it limits your room layout more. I’ts not like you end up with much usable space wasted behind a 32″ panel. Behind anything 42″ and up you could probably store a couple of bikes

a nice wall mounted tv of a reasonable size is a nice room item imo.

plenty of horrible horrible examples around though

{quote]it’s easier to watch up high. [/quote]

Your eyeline should be their eyeline – do you dash for the front seats at the cinema?

You need to decide between home cinema and living room. A home cinema needs good HD and good sound. It does not need scatter cushions. Home cinemas smell of the singleton.

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

We’ve got a 65″ and DVDs look atrocious compared to HD channels and Bluray… Don’t know how big TVs will have to get before HD doesn’t cut the mustard 😕 My guess is that they are getting pretty close…

Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘DVD vs BLURAY’ is closed to new replies.