Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • DVD Projectors – recommendations?
  • hora
    Free Member

Ok, girlfriend is coming round to the fact that I think the TV sits there malaising our brains. Shes agreed to a very good DVD projector (with no TV connectability) and cinema system.

Any recommendations??

joemarshall
    Free Member

Have you got lots of space for a projection system? You need a decent amount of space for it to be worth doing (need to be a good distance back from the screen), and ideally really to only watch it with the curtains closed (even with a bright projector it is much better in the dark). Also be aware of bulb costs – some of the projector bulbs can cost £200-300 to replace (although they last something like 1000 hours).

Joe

hora
    Free Member

15foot long enough? Thats the MAX!

Free Member

Hora,

this is what my company does (amongst other things)

As said already, how far do you sit back from your screen/assumed screen location?

And do you have a budget in mind? (feel free to email me should you not wish to discuss over here)

As an example, we’re about to start work on a cinema/games room for a chap, a 100″ motorised screen, Epson TW5000 projector, Gallo speakers, Denon amp, Vandamme blue cables, all good stuff!

cheers,
    Jonathan

Free Member

Hora – 15′ equates to a 100″ screen, according to THX standards 😉

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Also be aware of bulb costs

The one I use, at the place I work, had to have a new bulb. Cost over £200. All because some tit just unplugged it, without letting it go through it’s cool-down cycle.

Projectors are fragile things. You can’t be just flicking it on, watching telly for 5 mins, then turn it off. They are designed for prolonged viewing.

Ideal for a purpose-built set-up, with good audio etc; not ideal for casual home use.

Free Member

Just to comment on RudeBoy’s thoughts; Yep, they can be fragile items, however, if it is mounted correctly, power will be plumped in correctly too, so the PJ would go down the full shut-down fully.

Do you watch just films, or regular TV too?

Perhaps a large plasma mounted on the wall could be an easier option? a motorised screen cover (imagine a picture over the top of your plasma, all mounted in your wall) and then the artwork lifting up to reveal your panel, the mechanism for that doesnt cost that much.

It depends on what you want to acheive and your budget really.

Jonathan

hora
    Free Member

“100” motorised screen, Epson TW5000 projector, Gallo speakers, Denon amp, Vandamme blue cables, all good stuff!”

Me thinks alittle south of the price of that kit. For a start he has a games room. We dont 🙁

Plasma? Yes but that will be TV-enabled? Honestly sick of tv. Have been for years- but my GF has always protested her right to watch Noseyfeckerinsomeoneshouse style-programmes.

mugsys_m8

We just use an EPSON EMP DM-1. Ok so it’s a not a bachelor pad home cinema set up, but to watch the occasional DVD once a week etc it does fine for us.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Get a big LCD monitor, and use a PC as an entertainment system.

Unless you really want the system out of sight until needed. Bear in mind you will spend loads more than on a big screen monitor, and the quality won’t be as good, certainly not with normal ambient light. And how big is your front room? Surely a 40″ screen would be more than enough!

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

hora – get a pro panasonic plasma screen (by pro i mean no speakers and the inputs are determined by what input cards you have)

it won’t have TV ability unless you buy an RF card

projectors are pretty ugly and you’ll be constantly disappointed with the black ratio etc

Free Member

Plasma’s…. well, you have the commercial range, and the residential range (on panasonic, which i HIGHLY praise!) … the residential range have integrated tuners, and the commercial do not.

Pioneer, who I also rave about, are due to launch the new Kuro range, which will give some lovely deals on the older (but still fantastic) Kuro.

So, little TV but a few movies?

I’m more than happy to offer a hand with helping you spec some kit up/design it for you should you wish, feel free to drop me an email: JonathanATintelligent-technology.co.uk anytime.

Pending on the room dimensions and the suggested location for your screen, would determine the size of screen to put in place.

You may also wish to consider chasing the cables into the wall(s) and giving a nice clean install?

Do you already have a 5.1 system?

Jonathan

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

jontawn – who do you work for?

do you use freelance labour at all?

Free Member

mrmichaelwright… I work for myself/my own business.

We do when its needed, but as i’m sure you know, its pretty quiet at the moment, the current client (with the 100″ screen) we’re hoping will lead to a little more referral work – the best type of work 😉

where are you based bud? We’re in sheffield.

Jonathan

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

based just south of leicester

i’ve not done a lot of install but do have very good knowledge of the kit/connection from 8 years in corporate AV

cv is here

i’d imagine it is pretty quiet, got a few mates who do installs and they are all scraping the bottom of the barrel for work

Free Member

mrmichaelwright … i’ve saved your CV, could you drop me an email with some contact details on? I cant promise any work, but would be good to say hello.

If you’re Leics based, then not too far from me (we’re (going to be when they sort the office!!) near J31 of the M1)

Hora 😉 apologies for the thread hijack 😉

Jonathan

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I’m using an Infocus IN76 (to project roughly 90 odd inch picture in a pretty normal terrace room) and can highly recommend it, we too were bored with tv but love films so we’ve ditched the telly and use the licence fee saved to replace the bulb when it eventually dies (approx 3000hrs)

Projector was around £500, decent amp (Yamaha ax763) just shy of £300, Speakers (Jamo A102) £200 and some sundries for cables etc.

Picture is as good if not better than most of my mates LCD and Plasmas, admitidly they’re not the prettiest of things hanging from roof but on the flip side I’ve not got a massive black box sitting in the corner of my room. The room does however have to be pretty dark but we do most of our veiwing at night so that’s not a problem for us.

woodey
    Free Member

Another IN76 user here, use it in a home office / cinema room and so the living room is TV free, just a good sound system (sit about 6ft from the screen).

I can’t recommend it enough, I have friends with 50″ plasmas who rave about it and it cost less than their screen. I use it for TV (great for sport!) everyday usage, XBOX and DVD.

I am not technical and I set it all up myself, I often watch it with the curtains open, admittedly not as bright as when they are closed but can actually be quite relaxing (less intense colours)

When the six nations are on everyone comes round round mine, you can’t beat the screen size and the surround sound from Twickenham on a saturday afternoon!

Plasma…pah

ourmaninthenorth

you can’t beat the screen size and the surround sound from Twickenham on a saturday afternoon!

Er, you can: the Millennium Stadium in full cry!

woodey
    Free Member

rubbish ;0)

zokes
    Free Member

Are they shouting BAAAAAAAA! ???

😉

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘DVD Projectors – recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.