Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Duvets
  • mildred

I’ve just spent 5 weeks in a hotel & though the mattress was hell on earth, the duvet was amazing. It was weighty without being too hot and ensured a good night sleep.

I’m now back home & despite our mattress being extremely comfy the duvet is too light and feels oddly hot. The cover is synthetic and we’re in the process of buying some new bedding but can anyone recommend a duvet or type of duvet that will have a bit of weight but not too hot. I can’t seem to find that information out.

Whilst at the hotel I even stripped the bed down to see what they were, but they were unbranded.

I’ve tried a weight blanket & didn’t like it. I’m curious how wool duvets will feel.

Any ideas or info/recommendations??

scruff9252

Worth emailing someone in head office of the hotel?

I’m sure you could frame it similarly to your OP and they would love the feedback and will probably let you know what brand it is?

grum
    Free Member

We have a wool one and really like it. Definitely a bit of weight to it. It came from soak and sleep.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I don’t know if it’s a case of “you get what you pay for” but I’ve not had much luck with cheaper Fogarty ones. Our Winter one feels amazing, it’s massive and ‘cosy’ but by Jesus it’s unbearable unless you keep your bedroom a 5c, our ‘summer’ one is paper thin, but blazing hot most of the time.

prawny

You need to go natural fibres for duvets. Highest percentage of down to feathers you want to stretch too.

My duvet (now our duvet) really needs replacing as it’s lost it’s lüft and it’s probably super manky but it’s been amazing. It’s a goose down and feather one, I think I had it when I was about 16/17 and I’m 38 now.

About £150+ for a new one, I really struggle to sleep under normal duvets, like you say, no weight and they don’t breathe so they get really hot.

If you’ve got a jysk near you they’ve got some good looking ones for not huge money

matt_outandabout

I’m saving for a wool one. Friends heartily recommended theirs.

We’ve a new (wool) mattress arriving next week, that is to replace the old memory foam one I’ve not got on with for the decade we’ve had it.

Like you, our synthetic one while warm and silent, just seems to build heat and a level of clamminess through the night. It’s not bad, but it’s not great.

ElShalimo

what were those woolen duvets that people on here were recommending about 4 or 5 years ago?

mildred

Worth emailing someone in head office of the hotel?

As I was a “long term” guest I asked the manager who couldn’t find anything out. Apparently they were years old. Think I’ve found the covers online – 600 thread count with a satin stripe.

I’ve ordered a wool duvet & 600 thread count cotton covers. Next step will be pillows. I think I’ll go feather for that.

csb

https://www.baavet.co.uk/

We have one of these. It’s lush.

singlespeedstu

Wool duvet and pillows here.
    Never seem to get hot and sweaty under the wool.
    Also use the same thickness for summer and winter where as we used to use a thicker synthetic duvet in the winter and thinner one in the summer.

jimmy

https://www.baavet.co.uk/

We have one of these. It’s lush.

Same here. Bought midweight so use a topper in winter for extra heft.

Was going to add pillows to the thread – mine are need of replacement for being a) manky and b) no structure left.

nixie

Baavet mid weight here as well. Love it, use it year round and don’t go down to a sheet in the summer like we had to with synthetic/down. Also doesn’t make me sweat like sun/down. It’s not too bulky either and has a nice weight.

matt_outandabout

Was going to add pillows to the thread

I too would value some suggestions, ideally wool…

nixie

Also have baavet pillows. Being able to take the filling out and wash the case is great. You do need to frequently plump to keep the volume.

nbt

We have just got Baavet pillows. Mattress is next for replacement, will be going there again

molgrips
    Free Member

@mildred you haven’t mentioned if it was down or synthetic duvet?

It sounds like you are describing a down duvet. The cheapest duvets are synthetic, then feather and down, then pure down. Pure down is fantastic – light and warm but not sweaty.

Try John Lewis for starters, they have down for about £150 or so, Hungarian down (better apparently?) for £350 or so from memory.

plump to keep the volume.

You may also need to put the needle on the record.

fossy

I always chuck my duvets off.

csb

Pure down is fantastic

What are the ethics around down? Is it basicallly cruel to the donor birds?

dave661350

Another vote for wool, had ours for a couple of years now and it is superb.https://www.soakandsleep.com/

mildred

you haven’t mentioned if it was down or synthetic duvet?

I couldn’t tell; if I was to guess I’d say it was a down & synthetic hybrid. Or down with a very thick cover.

mildred

It was heavier than most synthetics I’ve used but didn’t have the rustle of down.

Vader
    Free Member

yeah we have a baavet, it is quite literally the ram’s nuts

We got it from their bargain bin as a second, to be honest there is nothing wrong with it.

When they are brand new they have a slight aroma of sheep, it goes after a few days. I actually liked it, it was like being snuggled up by cosy creatures and you dropped off really quick. It has a nice weight and wraps around you naturally. Madame has a baavet pillow too, there are often bedtime squabbles if I try and pilfer it on the sly.

ElShalimo

Thanks… Looks like baavet will be our next duvet

zippykona

We have an alpaca duvet from somewhere oop north.
    It always seems to be the right temperature. We used to have 2 duvets that pop together for winter and just a duvet cover in summer.
    Since we’ve had the alpaca one it’s been the only thing we’ve needed.
    Really impressed.

molgrips
    Free Member

What are the ethics around down? Is it basicallly cruel to the donor birds?

I have read that it sometimes is however JL claim theirs is ethically sourced. Haven’t seen what that actually means tho.

jimdubleyou

For people of a certain age…

frankconway

Icelandic eiderdown…https://www.johnlewis.com/john-lewis-partners-the-ultimate-collection-made-to-order-icelandic-eiderdown-winter-weight-duvet/p4888538
    Super king – the right size for a king bed; always size up.
    If that’s too spendy, siberian goose down.

Drac

We don’t do duvets.

jamesmio
    Free Member

Wool duvets all round here – one from Devon Duvets on ours and a smaller one from Wool Room on the wee one’s bed.

This might be the most STW topic I’ve ever joined in on.

mildred

This might be the most STW topic I’ve ever joined in on.

😂😂😂

I just knew that STW wouldn’t let me down (no pun)..!

big_scot_nanny

Interesting stuff. As we lived in Switzerland for many years, we totally bought into their logic and have 2 double duvets. One each, on a Super King bed. Works great! I have a down duvet that is truly an amazing thing to be under. I love it.

Missus has an older mid weight crappy duvet that really needs replacing, but she does not want down.

This wool stuff has caught my eye – what weight would you recommend? As it’s replacing a mid weight fibre duvet, would a 3 season/mid weight wool fella be appropriate?

her folks got a wool duvet, also love it. Though we did joke about the ‘sheep’ smell!

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Duvets’ is closed to new replies.