Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Dusty Hill RIP
  • Pigface
    Free Member

Sad news

funkmasterp

Great bass player and an epic beard

mogrim

72, seems young these days 🙁

Anyway, my favourite Top Track:

funkmasterp

Billy Gibbons is such a good guitar player. Think he’s underrated due to the semi-comedic nature of the band and his beard over shadows his playing. Allegedly Jimi Hendrix’ favourite guitar player.

My favourite.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Darn.

frankconway

Always wanted to see them – never happened.
    Will be missed.

duncancallum

Gutted. Love Zz top such an underrated band

Edukator
    Free Member

Shit. You should have posted a song Dusty sang on such as Tush, Mogrim. I was noodling Sharp dressed man and La Grange a few minutes ago. I’ve been cycle camping for three weeks and on picking up the guitar they were among the first things to get played, so yes I’m a fan and saddened.

mogrim

You should have posted a song Dusty sang on such as Tush, Mogrim

Suppose so, but just picked my favourite and didn’t really think about it TBH!

duncancallum

househusband

This has resonance… old and long-lost schoolmates got me into them in the mid-80’s and they are one of only a few bands that have stayed with me since.

MoreCashThanDash

Massively underrated musician and band.

Never saw ZZ Top live but The Hamsters used to do a ZZ Top/Hendricks tribute show and thT opened my eyes to just how good they were.

Edukator
    Free Member

My phone’s bust so I had to get Madame to film me, this seems fitting, the second of two takes having forgotten the words first go and only just remembering them second go.

mariner
    Free Member

For really really nerdy anorachs the ZZ Top rig rundown is interesting – or not.

wbo
    Free Member

Very good live – saw them at the Marguee. Amazing to think Tres Hombres is nearly 50 years old,,,

I loved the early stuff, hated the younger stuff, but they seemed to like and I guess that’s what matters. Good vocals too.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Sorry to hear it. Saw them live on the Eliminator tour and they were excellent. Gone too young.

Kryton57

Always wanted to see them – never happened.

+1 Genuinly feeling sad, but thats decided the Tunes on the long drive to PLympton tomorrow 🙁

CountZero

Read about this only a short while ago, he played a gig with the band very recently. Very sad to hear it, I did get to see them in London some time back, fifteen years ago? Can’t remember, but they were outstanding, they had a huge wall of Orange amp cabinets right across the stage behind them in an arc, two cabs high with a head unit on top of each stack – if that isn’t a statement of intent I don’t know what is!
    RIP, Dusty.

Edukator
    Free Member

You do realise those cabs were empty, Countzero?

Kryton57

You do realise those cabs were empty, Countzero?

There’s a time and a place. This isn’t it.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Weird – I always figured it would be Billy who went first.
    Saw them 3 times – the first was supporting Clapton back in the mid ‘90s and they kicked his ass.
    Never really got on with the studio stuff, but their live sound was incredible – underpinned by the “Rhino farting in a trash can” of Dusty’s bass.
    I’ll be sticking the live album I’ve got on proper loud when I’m back home.

Edukator
    Free Member

FFS Kryton. I’m being informative on a thread about a guy I’ve admired since a teenager. If this isn’t the place to talk about ZZ’s prowess as showmen and musicians where is? Fact is that high stage volume is horrible and with a good PA totally unnecessary. The noisist thing on stage is the drummer and that’s bad enough. One cab and a return on stage is enough. These days stacks on stage are just for decoration. Besides Dusty used an ear piece.

lucasshmucas

It made me sad to hear this news. RIP Dusty.

There is a great documentary on Netflix about ZZ Top

That little ‘ole band from Texas

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Dusty Hill RIP’ is closed to new replies.