Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Dusk Till Dawn, East Anglia, 5/6 Oct – Check in
  • Giant_Hedge_Stack
    Free Member

In my keenness to make up for lost time I entered solo. Aiming low and hoping to get slightly above that but have fun.

Anyone else entering? Anyone know much about the course regarding hazard (bomb holes etc) or it its very tame?

slowjo
    Free Member

It will be dark, wet and cold…..probably!

cr500dom
    Free Member

Think I was supposed to be entering as part of a team but I fear we may have missed the entry.

But yes, Dark cold and wet…….. if its warm and dry that will be a bonus

stumpy01

Yeah cr500dom, you’ve missed the entry.

I usually do it with a couple of mates. We either do it as a group or a pair and a solo if the fittest bloke is feeling sprightly enough. But after god knows how many wet ones, we decided not to bother.

But, had an about turn the other day as it’s been so dry & mild (Thetford is riding excellent at the moment) and found that we’d missed the entry cut off by about 12 hrs…gah!!

Sorry, but I am now praying for a precipitous drop in temps and masses of rain. Otherwise I will be gutted to be missing it. Typical – first year in 5 or 6 that it will potentially be dry and we’re gonna miss it. Pah.

Don’t think it’s sold out so don’t know why they aren’t running the entry closer to the date.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Doing tough mudder NW so missing it 🙁

scud
    Free Member

Gonna be there for my first D2D in a team of 4.

Very expensive though isn’t it compared to a lot of similar events or is it me?

Giant_Hedge_Stack
    Free Member

Not sure comparing to other 12/24 enduro’s but seems resonable value compared to a 4hr enduro I looked at at £25.

But then I’m looking at £40 for 12hours riding (well I can dream I can do 12hours). Rather than 140 quid for 12 hours divided by 4 riders.

flip456
    Free Member

Yeap, 2nd time for us. Neither of us have done the training we set out to do due to injury, work etc but someone’s got to finish last 😀 oh well we’ll have a laugh and enjoy it if it stays dry, fingers crossed.

tonyg2003

Never again for me after the bog snorkelling of two years ago. 8hrs solo riding through axle deep mud :cry:. I hope that it’s better for you this year.

philtricklebank

Second year solo for me, last year was pretty dry considering the summer we had, so I’ve not been frightened off yet by muddy horror stories.

Only had one fairly tame bomb hole last year, hopefully the new (old) start location will allow a few more to be included. Just try to have fun. It’s what it’s all about, apparently.

stumpy01

philtricklebank – Member

Only had one fairly tame bomb hole last year, hopefully the new (old) start location will allow a few more to be included. Just try to have fun. It’s what it’s all about, apparently.

It seems to me that they made the courses a bit more ‘weather safe’ in over the last couple of years. I imagine that if it stays dry, there will be some nice features on the trail. There’s never gonna be anything too technical, but there’ll be some great, swoopy singletrack.

I did 20 miles over there last night and it is riding super fast. The ground is grippy damp; not too dry and sandy, and not mushy. Felt like I was on one of those speeder bike things from Return of the Jedi through some sections.

Hope it stays nice for everyone, but I am gonna be really jealous if it does!

andypaul99
    Free Member

Rode Thetford yesterday and the trails are almost perfect, condition wise it will take alot of rain from now to the 5th Oct to mess things up…fingers crossed 🙂

Jonny5
    Free Member

Entered Solo. Singlespeed on standby depending on the weather. 🙂

stylish
    Free Member

Riding as part of a 3 man team this year, at the moment the trails are spot on, although I after talking to the guys from Thetford mtb, a few old favourites have been pruned ready for service this year, bits that have not seen wheels for a while too.

With regard to entries, have you e mailed direct to see if they will take a late one? I know numbers are down on previous years, so might be worth a punt.

stumpy01

Yeah, I probably should drop them an email and ask about late entry. Can’t hurt I s’pose.

cotic853
    Free Member

I’ll be there again for another roll of the weather dice

Banana flapjack may available to STWers – if Mrs853 doesn’t get to them first

Jason
    Free Member

Giving it a miss this year. I have raced it solo for the past few years, but currently waiting for a broken finger to mend it’s self, and won’t be given the all clear to ride until the week before the race.

Hope the weather is good for you all, I still have nightmares over the two really wet years…

Giant_Hedge_Stack
    Free Member

First night ride for a while yesterday. Was great fun and a nice conditions. Can we book that weather for D2D.

timdavies

Also riding solo, 29er and Singlespeed at the ready with summer and hell tyres just in case.

Expecting the somme, hoping for smooth fast trails.

gee
    Free Member

I’m giving solo another crack. Never managed to finish a 12hr solo for reasons of weather, injury or boredom – perhaps this year…

Sandwich

Rode Thetford yesterday and the trails are almost perfect, condition wise it will take alot of rain from now to the 5th Oct to mess things up…fingers crossed

Did you see the forecast on Countryfile last night? Now look what you’ve done!!

Those that are racing will need:
    1 set of pads per lap
    New chain after 3 laps
    Complete drive train after the event.

It’s all Andys fault!!!

stumpy01

Rode Thetford yesterday and the trails are almost perfect, condition wise it will take alot of rain from now to the 5th Oct to mess things up…fingers crossed

The thing is, several years we’ve done this event and it has been dry in the run up to the event, then rained either the night before (and continued) or on the day of the race and it still turns into a soggy bog of a ride.

I think it would be better if it rained in the run up to the event, but then was dry during the event as the number of riders quickly creates a dry-ish line. It’s when it rains during the event that conditions get worse and worse.

BBC this morning reckoned a lot of rain is coming over on Thurs, but any forecast more than a couple of days is rarely correct so hopefully it’ll miss East Angular….

Giant_Hedge_Stack
    Free Member

If, sorry when, it’s nice what types would you recommend?

slowjo
    Free Member

Tyres for Thetford? Racing Ralph front and back. If it gets a bit rubbish, stick a Nic on the front. If it gets really rubbish just put the kettle on and have a brew.

ssnowman
    Free Member

I still have nightmares about 3 years ago when it took me close on 3 hours to do one lap.

ssnowman
    Free Member

But I’m still foolish enough to try again, solo and singlespeed.

BadlyWiredDog

See my other post, but my partner’s wiped out with a chest infection so we’ve had to bale on the weekend. If anyone’s interested in a mixed pair entry – riders names can be changed, category can’t be changed, so you have to be a mixed pair – just shout.

Giant_Hedge_Stack
    Free Member

Thats unfortunate BWD, hope they’re okay but more importantly you get someone!

I’m getting rather excited about about it now. Set myself target of surviving and not being last. Reckon the first is achieveable. Not sure on the later.

Going to try and strava it so that should be intersting, if my phone battery lasts.

Conditions looking good. Touch wood, fingers crossed etc. May even get a bit of moonlight which will be very welcolme. Remember my first time there having a rest in my chair in my sleeping bag in the middle of the night and really enjoying the night sky. Though that pleasure may have been heightened by not cycling.

bol

Not doing it this year, after not enjoying it much last year. Hurt my knee early on and it was a long hard slog from there on in. I’m now quite envious of my mates who are doing it though. Weather and trails looking perfect.

andypaul99
    Free Member

I think it would be better if it rained in the run up to the event, but then was dry during the event as the number of riders quickly creates a dry-ish line. It’s when it rains during the event that conditions get worse and worse.

It has rained, but it was needed as the trails were very sandy. I would say now they are almost perfect for racing. The Forecast for the weekend is clear skies at 19 degrees day and 11 at night. Unless there is a biblical downpour, expect a very dry and sandy course in places. And a fantastic nights racing. I really wish I was fit enough to race it this year.

As mentioned Racing Ralphs front and back would be the best tyre choice for Thetford. Although the fast and experienced Thetford guys will probably be racing on even shallower treads (freds etc…)

emac65
    Free Member

Last did it two years ago,it was wet & a bit muddy,but after 6 laps it was the boredom factor that got to me.It doesn’t go up,it doesn’t go down,it’s just flat & boring as hell !Well imho it is ….

CYB enduro for me again this year,loads more fun 🙂

gee
    Free Member

See you all there…. Looks great weather, I’m not ill, feeling fast 🙂

stylish
    Free Member

Looking forward to it now, we have had affair amount of localised rain in the east over the last 24 hours, but by all accounts the lap is riding really well, a few mates went over last night and it was fine.

For those of you using the A11 from the south, the Fiveways roundabout at Barton Mills is closed from 10pm this evening, my advise would be to carry on along the A14 towards Bury st Edmunds, and take the A134 towards Thetford.

See you all there.

oldnpastit

I’ve got a solo entry. I won’t be especially fast but I’m hoping to at least survive to the end.

Probably be running gears, and 26″ just too be old skool.

crotchrocket
    Free Member

I’m not going & won’t be missing it.

Ride Thetford? I’d rather eat my feet.

flip456
    Free Member

Hey crotchrocket, cheer up you grumpy old so and so 😉

Big-M
    Free Member

Back again in a team of 4, feel knackered after a long week at work. Might have a nap before I head off.

gee
    Free Member

Warm, dry, dusty, fast, friendly and a win.

All good.

GB

rone

Yeah, thanks and congratulations to (GEE) above for being I assume (wearing the Salsa top) being the politest and fastest solo rider of the night.

You stood out amongst some really idiotic and frankly desperate over-taking from some of the teams who didn’t seem to give a fig about us Solo types hanging on to the bars at 3am.

I’ve done D2d a few times, and this was the most notably impolite one we’ve ever done (a few of us solo).

Loads of decent places to overtake …

Still – it was a great event. Dry and well organised.

gee
    Free Member

I only had one issue the whole night with a slow team rider who didn’t allow me past even when it was wide… I politely explained I wasn’t worried about being stuck behind him and losing time, but was really worried about him falling off in front of me and taking me out as he was riding like a bit if a plonker.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Dusk Till Dawn, East Anglia, 5/6 Oct – Check in’ is closed to new replies.