Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Durano Plus – long term experience
  • IvanMTB
    Free Member

Hi,

All my commuting is on the road. Most of them back and country roads, so not in the best possible shape here and there.

Sporting some heavy-weight Continental 32c tyres, but as I’m getting older and weaker I start looking into something lighter but as puncture proof as Contis.

I was thinking about Schwalbe Durano Plus. Apparently the highest level of puncture protection and not so bad in other departments – weight, rolling, grip.

Not a big fan of Schwalbe rubber but can be persuaded into them if they are really worthy of spend.

Any real life experience with durability and puncture protection?

Optionally something different in 28-30c flavor please…

Cheers!
    I.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Dont know about the Plus, sorry. But I am running the DD 25’s on the winter bike- they’ve been good for about 500 miles so far, so not really a long-term test.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/schwalbe-durano-double-defense-folding-road-tyre/

However, they’ve been really good. No punctures so far, despite some really crap roads. Roll well, seem to wear well, and have some ‘feel’ as they roll.

turboferret

I’ve been running Durano’s on my commuter for the past couple of years. I’ve got about 2000 miles out of a rear although it’s looking like I need to replace it fairly soon. Had 2 punctures, 1 bit of wire and another from rattling through a pothole I hadn’t noticed. Not the fastest in the world, but hard to tell how much that’s down to the tyres, and how much it’s the combination of dynamo, belt drive and hub gears!

Plenty grippy enough, not had any issues from that perspective.

No plans on changing to anything else in the near future.

Hope that’s useful.

Cheers, Rich

thomthumb
    Free Member

Not a big fan of Schwalbe rubber

why? they’re my first choice for most touring/commuting activities.

Previsly ran duranos, which were good but my commute has a LOT of glass and they eventually got a 30mm gash in.

Switched up to marathon plus. there were great 18 months use, and killed another one due to glass.First punture though!

Just switched to durano plus. only ridden them once so can’t really comment. they are nice rolling/ lighter than the marathon plus – but that’s not saying much.

IvanMTB
    Free Member

thomthumb – Member
    why? they’re my first choice for most touring/commuting activities.

Some very, very bad previous life experience. My first choice was Conti and Vittoria for years and years for commuting/road duties.

Thanks for all replies Chaps.

Cheers!
    I.

TiRed

They are excellent with regards puncture resistance – I’ve never punctured one, despite fishing out flints big enough to cut down to the blue protection layer. If you don’t want punctures, then they are the tyre. But I’ve found Duranos roll better and are much lighter. I have been happy with tubeless Schwalbe Ones and G-One Speeds too. I’ve also commuted on Vittoria Paves, and these are fine until worn, and the they puncture much more frequently. I’m running my first Continental GP 4 Seasons, and these seem a nice tyre too, but the G-One Speeds tubeless are my current commuting favourites (40 km this morning).

Teen1 is running 25C Marathon plus around Southampton on his fit and forget fixed wheel, I think he pumps the tyres once a term! These are basically Durano Plus tyres with a tread.

mudmonster
    Free Member

I’ve been using them for a while now on my courier bike in 25c size. I think they have a good balance of weight and puncture protection.

These are basically Durano Plus tyres with a tread

Thought the blue layer was thicker on Marathon plus?

RustySpanner

Marathon Supreme are pretty light for size and roll really well.

They seem to survive pretty much everything, including slate quarry tracks!

Done about 2000 miles on this set and they look pretty much new, just swapped them round but there was really no need.
    No good in mud, but apart from that the best all round road tyre I’ve used.

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

I love mine. 700x32c, which you can’t get any more in that size, so will be gutted when they finally die.

I’ve had mine (one set) for 4 years, easily covered in excess of 4,000miles, probably more like 6,000. Front one still looks good, can still see most of the (very limited to start with) tread, so long way from retirement. Rear one looks bald, and has done for ages. No idea how you know when end of life is, but aside from lack of tread is not really showing much sign of age. So I’m about to swap them round and carry on.

I ride mostly on road, but a fair old bit (25%) on tow paths, the odd bit completely off road, forest trail, fireroad etc. They’ve never missed a beat. Grippy in the dry and wet, on all surfaces except for grass/mud etc.

Neither has ever had a puncture, and each has maybe 4 or 5 holes deep enough to see the blue stuff where i’ve dug out glass, slate, rock you name it.

I’m a fan, with only 3 negative points.
    1. they are nowhere near light, not even close.
    2. if memory serves, they were a pig to get on (alex rims), but so far never had to get them off/on again so might be easier second time round.
    3. Cant get 32mm any more.

birdage

Also a big fan of the 32cs. Never had a problem. No problem in getting them on Open Pros either. Didn’t know they weren’t available anymore. Boo.

IvanMTB
    Free Member

UrbanHiker – Member
    I’ve had mine (one set) for 4 years, easily covered in excess of 4,000miles, probably more like 6,000.

I’m pushing about 5 to 6k a year, so that sounds like good recommendation.

Cheers!
    I.

prawny

I run a durano plus on the rear of my commuter, I do 200 miles a week on it. I’m on my third since December 2015. Great tyre for commuting.

Just use a cheap tyre on the front, Lugano at the moment, they last loads longer than the rears and I don’t seem to have any ‘issues’

thomthumb
    Free Member

These are basically Durano Plus tyres with a tread.

sidewalls are much thicker on the marathon. weight is noticablly different too. Let’s see if that makes any difference to the battle with east Southampton’s glass ridden streets though…

OmarLittle
    Free Member

I have Durano Plus on my winter bike and pretty happy with them – good puncture protection and the ride ‘feel'(and grip in the wet) is considerable better than comparable tyres like Conti Gatorskins or Specialized Armadillos etc.

kaj0103
    Free Member

Not had the plus but had the Durano race Guard and they have been brilliant for commuting. Quite resilient. I think they were the best choice I found when buying. May buy the dd next when the time comes.

akkwlsk
    Free Member

How about Conti Gatorskins? They’re available in 32c and are quite bombproof as I remember from fixed gear times. They’re definitely light and rolling well.

alexpalacefan

Hello, got a pair of 28 Raceguaards, just taken off my commuter as I went tubeless.

They have been great commuter tyres, I think I’ve had 2 punctures in the 2 years they’ve been on. Grippy and fast enough too.

A few nicks, and the rear is pretty worn, but if you want to give ’em a try, they’re yours for postage.

Alex

butcher

I’m running standard Duranos at the moment and find their puncture resistance similar to that of Gatorskins. I’d say I prefer the rubber on these though. Better wet grip and they’re lasting well too. I’d recommend.

crazy-legs

Schwalbe have been my go-to tyre brand for a while now.
    Been using the Durano Plus on my commuter in 23c flavour (it’s the only size that fits in my SS road frame).

No punctures so far commuting on Manchester roads more or less daily and the tyres seem to roll well. These ones are about a year old and they do have some significant cuts in them so it might be time to replace them. I’m kind of hoping that with the worst of winter out of the way they’ll last for summer.

IvanMTB
    Free Member

alexpalacefan – Member
    but if you want to give ’em a try, they’re yours for postage.

Alex

Thanks Alex, but probably not. Raceguard is only 4 on Schwalbe puncture resistance chart.
    My commute starts and ends in pretty bad urban/industrial area, so I’m not taking chances.

Cheers!
    I.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Durano Plus – long term experience’ is closed to new replies.