Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Dunwich Dynamo
  • IanW
    Free Member

Anyone doing it?

I like it, geographically convenient for me and free so win,win.

fatmax

not this year, but my sister lives down that neck of the woods. i intend to do it one year, is it a good event?

DirtyLyle
    Free Member

Did it a few years ago. My tip would be to avoid the coach back as it leaves too late (unless it’s pre-1pm now…). Also you’re as well cycling to Ipswich to get a train back. We thought we’d be sly by cycling a couple station up the line, but the coppers were called when LITERALLY a billion cyclists got on the train near Dunwich and refused to get off.
    Good fun though.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Me ‘n’ her are doing it for the first time, then ride back to her parents place near Woodbridge.

Dark blue Santa Cruz Roadster (me), black SS Roadrat (her)

crazy-legs

Done it a few times, a mate actually asked if I wanted to do it this year but I’ve got other stuff on – shame cos it’s likely to be the best weather ever!

Train back can work (we’ve always ridden to Ipswich but manged to get there early so fewer problems with the trains). I can well imagine that this year will be rammed cos of the good weather so train might not be the best option if you’re getting there at 11am…

A few years ago a friend drove out to the nearest station (about 4 miles from Dunwich) on the Saturday then got the train home. When we arrived we slept on the beach for a bit then rode to where she’d parked and drove home.

There was one year where we planned on riding home as well but the weather was shit so we bailed and rode to Ipswich.

damitamit
    Free Member

I’ve done it a few times. The first a few years back I managed to get the train from the nearest station but it had been pissing it down all night so there weren’t many people left (once 30 of us piled on the train, the conductor kinda just gave up and let it happen).

Never got the coach back. Seem’s too long a wait and too much hassle. Better to ride an extra 40 miles to Ipswich and get the train (with a little cap nap on the way on a nice piece of grass!).

Last year just rode back. No trains to faff with 🙂 http://www.gregarios.co.uk/cycling-clubs/blog-cycling-news_/Entries/2012/6/30_The_story_of_a_Double_D_Dynamo.html

This year I’ve got a friend’s wedding to go to 🙁

IanW
    Free Member

is it a good event?

Last year was my first, I thought it was great, good vibe in London, then increasingly deserted roads as you get further out and it gets later in the evening. It was particularly good weather too, not quite as warm as this year but a tailwind which will unfortunately be a headwind this year.

If you live in London I would agree cycle back to ipswich get the train from there, for me it’s the reverse though so start with a train to Liverpool st, short hop to Hackney fields, cycle to Dunwich then back to Woodbridge and home.

Very sociable riding through the night, you see just about every kind of bike and cyclist. I’m a beardy geezer on a black and red Bianchi say hello.

crazy-legs

is it a good event?

There’s a great camaraderie on it certianly. Never seen such weird and wonderful mixes of bikes, literally everyhting from top end racers down to some guy on a Boris Bike last time I did it. Recumbents, folders, fixies, MTBs, tandems – you name it, it’s there!

Stick together through London, you do occasionally get drunken morons out round the London/Essex border chucking cans or bottles at riders. But other than that, it’s great: sleepy little villages, barn owls hunting over the crop fields in Suffolk and a swim in the sea at the end! Cafe’s a bit shit mind, it’s got worse since I first did the ride.

damitamit
    Free Member

Cafe’s a bit shit mind, it’s got worse since I first did the ride.

Agreed. I had to literally force the beans down last year as needed the energy for the ride home.

Supposedly there’s a pub near by that does breakfast now.

DavidB
    Free Member

Can’t make it this year but have done the last two years and really loved it. Previous year’s report here

eyerideit
    Free Member

Me and couple of others are doing it.

Coaches back start at 9am and will take 3.5hrs 😯 – bit slow if you ask me but faster than riding

I’m on my yellow Kapu so if you see me, feel free to say hello.

Sandwich

For food you could try The Ship at Dunwich or the Crown at Westleton for breakfast, there’s also a farm cafe just off the A12 near Yoxford. The latter village has a couple places that do food just off the A12 (turn right if going South) but all are unlikely to be doing very early food, the first two may be the best bet.

dekadanse
    Free Member

Sod all this roadie malarky – why not do the proper deal and ride off-road in Dunwich Forest and on Dunwich Heath? Some great trails (and don’t get shot on the archery range).

IanW
    Free Member

Nice innit, sometimes take the kids to ride around there.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Did it for the first time last weekend. Great vibes all the way. Stopped for a pint at last orders about 20 miles in and then found another pub still open at half past midnight. Big queues for both the bus and the cafe at the end. The wait would have been more tolerable if the weather hadn’t been so grim on the beach. Thankfully the forecast headwind didn’t show itself.

switchbacktrog
    Free Member

why not do the proper deal and ride off-road in Dunwich Forest and on Dunwich Heath?

Watch out riding on Dunwich Heath, I’ve been chased off there a couple of times by the National Trust. They will try to take your photo and threaten to use it as evidence if they catch you again.

Klunk
    Free Member

had some beers in the ship @ dunwich at the weekend, nice beer but **** it was expensive!

bobbyspangles

its ok, a tick off but i would not do it again.

preferred the Exmouth Exodus for its food stops and finish point!

Good fun to do though

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Dunwich Dynamo’ is closed to new replies.