• This topic has 65 replies, 39 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by Earl.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)
  • Dune Trailer….
  • jd13m
    Free Member

Dune trailer

Could be interesting, they seem to be lifting a lot from the book….

IHN

I really enjoyed the book (although I didn’t read any of the sequels, I heard they weren’t very good), looking forward to this

they seem to be lifting a lot from the book…

So did George Lucas 😉

nickc

Looks interesting.

MrBlond
    Free Member

I have an unfashionable affection for the Lynch version, but that looks awesome

johndoh
    Free Member

Looks good, but it’s a shame they have used Pink Floyd for the soundtrack when the almighty Iron Maiden actually wrote a (dreadful) song based on the book 😉

akira

No Sting though, very disappointing.

jd13m
    Free Member

I’d say all the original series books through to chapter house are strong, not quite so keen on the (co-written) sequels/prequels

What do you mean ‘to tame a land’ is dreadful??? 😛

Garry_Lager

Looks promising.

I like the description of Lynch’s Dune as like watching a trailer for the best film ever made. ie it’s an incoherent, plot-less snapshot of a bigger story but God does it look good. But I’d be pretty impressed if this one manages to be better and can get out from under that prior art influence.

Lynch’s work had some terrible problems with plot, ham acting by some of the cast, infamously troubled production etc but it slays in capturing the feel and look of the story.

jd13m
    Free Member

No Sting though, very disappointing.

no Max von Sydow either 🙁

z1ppy

I added the trailer to the “stop remaking films” thread, for discussion… I loving the feel of the trailer.

@IHN
    , though I was much younger, the later books were more about the politics and little action or extremely slow action. So they may not be rubbish but the simply were not anywhere as good as Dune (to me).

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I have an unfashionable affection for the Lynch version

Me too. This looks a bit Chronicles of Riddick to me.

johnners
    Free Member

Looks good, but it’s a shame they have used Pink Floyd for the soundtrack when the almighty Iron Maiden actually wrote a (dreadful) song based on the book

Could be worse, Grimes has written an obsessive amount of Dune-inspired stuff, they could have gone for that.

nickc

Lynch’s work had some terrible problems with plot

I think this is a bit harsh, of all of Lynch’s films; Dune is about the most coherent. I followed it just fine, perhaps it was just you?

fasthaggis

I have an unfashionable affection for the Lynch version

Yup,no Sting though,result 🙂

akira

How very dare you fasthaggis, without Sting Dune would have been, well probably better but not the same.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Looks exactly like the kind of Film I love and my Wife hates.

fasthaggis

How very dare you fasthaggis, without Sting Dune would have been, well probably better but not the same.

😉

darthpunk
    Free Member

Looks alright, i’ll reserve judgement for when I will most likely see it, been caught out by Tenet and its promising trailer, but at least this has a massive worm. Just not sure about all the Zendaya (if that’s her name) slo-mo stuff

jimw
    Free Member

The Lynch Dune film is the only one that I have ever fallen asleep in a cinema whilst ‘watching’, because it was soooo dull. Watched it a couple of decades later on the tv….yup, still dreadful. All in IMHO of course

swavis

Visually this looks brilliant. I’ve not read Dune (and not seen the film either as I prefer to read a book first if possible), just never seem to have gotten around to it. I think I’ll go sort that out 🙂

IdleJon

Lynch’s work had some terrible problems with plot

I think this is a bit harsh, of all of Lynch’s films; Dune is about the most coherent. I followed it just fine, perhaps it was just you?

I read the book about five years ago – it’s not overly complicated. I’ve tried watching the film at least three times since it was released, most recently last year, and I’ve no idea what’s going on after an hour or so. So it’s at least two of us!

IMO it looks like how I visualised the book. Which is a good start.

sharkattack

I’m a bit disappointed that it’s a film. It would have been an amazing series.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Theres talk of a series based around the machinations of the Bene Gesserit.

arrpee
    Free Member

No Sting-in-his-space-pants = BOOOOOOO.

They’d better have kept all the homoerotic knife-fights.

finbar
    Free Member

This is how I visualised the book – but I may have got the sequence of reading/playing in the wrong order 😀

finbar
    Free Member

Also – goodness that song on the trailer is bad.

Kuco

Cover of Pink Floyd Eclipse? Oh and I didn’t mind it.

I liked the original film and loved the computer game, but I have never read the book though.

Unfortunately, whilst lynch’s plot was very (overly) simple,it was about the opposite of what Frank Herbert was getting at in the book. (IMO)

I remember hiring a VHS of Dune to show my mates, because the book was so good. And then having to apologise afterwards because the film was so utterly shit.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

The trailer looked dull and the lead actor slightly more insipid, if that’s possible than Ryan Gosling did as K in Bladerunner 2049. Sadly Villanueve has got form for this as the snoozefests of Arrival and Bladerunner 2049 will testify.

finbar
    Free Member

Cover of Pink Floyd Eclipse? Oh and I didn’t mind it.

Oops – didn’t know it was Pink Floyd! I always think movie scores should be orchestral though.

dyna-ti

as with the first movie where you felt it needed to be considerably longer, given the books are more intrigue than anything, I can only hope this is 4-5 hours long.

I think someone did try a series? It wasn’t very good either.

baboonz
    Free Member

As someone said, I think this would have been better as a miniseries, the first three books, Dune to children of Dune would be good for this. There is too much in the Dune book to digest in a 2h to 3h film, which probably means they will bring only some of the core elements (spice, worms and desert) and forget much of the rest.

Would have prefered Paul and Chani to be more on the mature side-even though at the start of Dune, Paul is a teenager.

On the other hand, very happy that non-star wars sci-fi is getting some attention.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I always think movie scores should be orchestral though.

Orchestral Music for Dune? Nah that’ll be crap.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

There is too much in the Dune book to digest in a 2h to 3h film

Which is why its being split into two movies.

IHN

Villanueve has got form for this as the snoozefests of Arrival and Bladerunner 2049 will testify

I thought Arrival was excellent, haven’t seen Bladerunner (either of them)

baboonz
    Free Member

Which is why its being split into two movies.

Did not know that, thanks for clarifying!

GrahamS

I thought Arrival was excellent,

Seconded. Great movie, though let down by a slightly weak ending.

johndoh
    Free Member

Oops – didn’t know it was Pink Floyd!

Didn’t you read my post? FFS, I don’t know why I bother sometimes.

nickc

**** no. Dune is just about readable, by God Emperor, it’s shockingly bad, the least said about Chapterhouse* the better. 5 out the 6 original books that Frank wrote were by any measure; piss poor, and written solely for the paycheck. The eleventy eight other cash-ins written by Kevin and (that other bloke who’s name escapes me) read like they had to be drunk to get get any work done on them. Plus they all have …Of Dune in the title, soon there’ll be Restrooms Of Dune, Pizza Restuarants Of Dune, Street cleaners Of Dune…

*Chapterhouse, it sounds like a movie that stars John Belushi, and includes American college students being assholes…If anyone’s not read it yet, apologies for the plot spoiler.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Dune Trailer….’ is closed to new replies.