Dundee riders and where you do it……..

Home Forum Bike Forum Dundee riders and where you do it……..

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Dundee riders and where you do it……..
  • Premier Icon Shackleton
    Subscriber

Evening all,

I’ve just accepted a job in Dundee and for the first few months will only be there during the week without a car. Where do locals ride for after work blasts without the use of a car?

I’ll be working on the west side of the city (Invergowrie to be precise) if that helps.

I’ve been looking at maps and have spotted some trails in the Sidlaw hills but even squinting at google earth can’t work out which ones are the good ones.

Any help on the matter much appreciated!

Cheers,

P

birky

Backmuir, Templeton and Dronley woods and Camperdown Park. All quite small but just a mile or so apart. Nothing very exiting but ok for night riding.

organic355

as above, but I would avoid the sidlaws just now unless there is a prolonged cold snap/frost, they will be unrideable, bog-tastic

Backmuir is good for a quick night ride.

trail_rat

tentsmuir as well.

organic355

tentsmuir as well.

thats a 12 mile ride from invergowrie before you even get started πŸ™‚

cupra

thats a 12 mile ride from invergowrie before you even get started

An ideal warm up on these chilly nights πŸ˜‰

fasthaggis

thats a 12 mile ride from invergowrie before you even get started

Miles give ya smiles πŸ™‚

We go round Tentsmuir most Tuesday nights in the winter,leave from the Tay bridge Lift at 6.30.

If you go on your own follow the cunningly placed bike reflectors πŸ˜‰

Premier Icon MrGreedy
    Subscriber

We go round Tentsmuir most Tuesday nights in the winter,

Is there much singletrack in Tentsmuir then? I used to ride there occasionally back when I was a student and never found that much. (Question purely out of interest, as I’m 500 miles away now)

trail_rat

there is a fair bit – i went a few times on my own and found nothing.

went with locals and suddenly there was loads.

Premier Icon mactheknife
    Subscriber

Shackleton, give me a shout when you are in Dundee, ill show you around. I usually ride up in the Glen Doll area and Aviemore though. But when i ride locally its usually the Sidlaws and once you know your way around there is a cracking set of trails that work well. But it took me ages to find them and link them together.

Also i ride down in fife now and again mostly at Pitmedden but thats pretty weather dependant. It gets boggy pretty quickly. And this year its not had much time to dry out. Ill happily give u a lift over sometime.

highlandman

If you’re looking for techy singletrack, there’s a limited range of riding until you get out to the Sidlaws and via them to Glamis.. once out that way, there’s a lot of trail but we can come back to that once you’ve got transport sorted out. I’ll be night riding the Sidlaws in the snow tonight and it should be fine with a couple of inches of fresh on a gradually freezing base. Sids need time to good explore or a local guide to make the best of them but once you learn the old xc course (pretty hard- lots of vertical) you can start adding extra loops as you explore. Meantime, Tentsmuir is the obvious choice, as Camperdown, Templeton and Backmuir woods are all a bit boggy just now. Use the old AMBTA website to get download of the Angus route cards (hard copy at Nicholsons or at Spokes nearer you on Perth Road) and Dundee City Council has published a set too- but there isn’t a huge amount of challenge there but they do take you around the city.
    Mail me from profile and I’ll see what I can do to get you started- I’m working in city centre and regularly commute home via Camperdown to and over the Sidlaws regularly. Spring is on the way..

Premier Icon mactheknife
    Subscriber

Highlandman, what are the sidlaws like at the moment, Ill be home Thursday and picking the bike up on Friday from Spokes so ill be out over the weekend. Love the comment about loads of vertical on them, They can be absolute killers πŸ˜€ good for the legs and lungs though.

Premier Icon Shackleton
    Subscriber

Grand, thanks for the suggestions and offers of guiding. I’ll be in touch when I move up in April. Sounds like there is a lot more than I first thought there would be!

Cheers,

p

birky

what are the sidlaws like at the moment

organic355

I am up for a bit of guiding I.e. being guided if you guys plan a sidlaws outing???

+ 1 for joining in if its ok?

Im just along the road in Monifieth! πŸ™‚

Alan.

Premier Icon mactheknife
    Subscriber

Sounds like a plan, im available on Sunday evening and evenings the following week. Ill happily show you round the routes up the Sidlaws. Might be icy but should be good fun πŸ™‚

Im at Glentress on Sunday…….

Might manage one night next week tho πŸ™‚

Email in profile if u want to email me your mobile and we can keep in touch that way?

Alan.

Premier Icon mactheknife
    Subscriber

Cool, will do. Ill get the lights charged πŸ™‚

Premier Icon tommytowtruck
    Subscriber

Pitmedden Forest over the water is good if you’ve got a car to get there. Might be pretty muddy if it’s been wet mind.

Pitmedden is unridably wet at the moment. Any riding will just damage the trails and prolong the time until they dry out. I thought it was bad in August, but it is even worse now. Terminal wetness.

highlandman

Sids were very mixed tonight, some less travelled areas very good indeed, some bits (Denoon Glen) where cattle were out all autumn until early December are a mass of part-frozen hoof prints. Not as wet as I’d expected and some of the climbs still rideable on Highrollers. Although I’ve not ridden it today, I’d expect the long descent W off Craigowl to be fine. Snow is mainly dry and varies from 2-4″.
    Out on the north side, all the Glamis stuff is holding up really well- Station woods, Cossans, Warren, Charleston & Murley woods.

You also have Kinnoull hill near perth, not been there for a few years but is worth a look, I’m sure something would come up on YouTube.

Premier Icon mactheknife
    Subscriber

Thread resurrection:- Its up to everyone else if you still fancy a nightride this week but i had a wee ride up the Sidlaws today and it was a mixture of snow/ice/slush etc. Not enjoyable at all.

Let me know if u still fancy it and ill find some morale πŸ™‚

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Dundee riders and where you do it……..’ is closed to new replies.