Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 90 total)
  • Dumfries area to live?
  • duncancallum

Where is it roughly?

When your up shout n I’ll buy you a coffee!

alanl
    Free Member

Crocketford, get to the village from Dumfries, take a right at the pub, first right onto a new development, and we’re hoping to buy a small patch on the left hand side.

alanl
    Free Member

The plot at Crocketford has fallen through, someone had already offered the asking price, and the Estate agents knew nothing about it until they phoned the Vendor.
    But, on the bright side, a plot has become available in Ecclefechen. We viewed it yesterday, had tea and cake with the vendors, and have agreed, on the way home, we will offer the asking price (70k) tomorrow.
    This may be a rash thing, though I feel it is the right thing to do. My OH says offer £10k less, I think they’ll see that as a bit of an insult, and reject any other bids from us.
    To put it into perspective, it is a plot, started by a Developer, who has gone bust. They bought it for themselves, but he has been unwell, so has little chance of completing. The foundations/floor slab is ready, with drainage etc. That would be £20k to fit that, so £50k for the land is reasonable compared to other plots we have looked at.
    The plot is in a corner, backing onto a farm, the Vendors living beside, with a large hedge inbetween.
    To the left are 5 other plots with floor slabs finished, but not built any further., beyond that is a field leading up to the M74. The traffic noise isnt an issue, but the wind yesterday may have influenced that a lot.
    Ae is a few miles away, Mabie and Dalbeattie within 20/30 minutes. Local hills look promising.

MoreCashThanDash

I’d pay more just to have Ecclefechan in my address….

alanl
    Free Member

Locally , known as ‘Fechan’ we were told.

gobuchul
    Free Member

This may be a rash thing, though I feel it is the right thing to do. My OH says offer £10k less, I think they’ll see that as a bit of an insult, and reject any other bids from us.

Never offer the asking price in your first offer. It’s not an insult and would not cause the vendor to “reject any other bids” from you.

robola

Are you sure about this? I don’t want to patronise, but the fact you are posting about this on a public forum does hint that you are looking for others to validate your decision.

The big question is why haven’t other developers picked up this site? Streetview images captured in 2009 show these slabs in place. What is happening with the other, adjacent plots? For distressed sale, no way I would be offering asking.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Meadowfoot Gardens is it? You will definitely hear the M74 and there will probably be vehicles in and out of that warehouse/barn at odd hours. Also there’s what appears to be a slurry pit on the other side of the building. Go back on a calm day and check the noise and smelĺ. Personally I wouldn’t touch it.

properbikeco
    Free Member

the fechan has an unenviable reputation…

paton
    Free Member
    alanl
    Free Member

the fechan has an unenviable reputation…

Please explain.

The big question is why haven’t other developers picked up this site? Streetview images captured in 2009 show these slabs in place. What is happening with the other, adjacent plots? For distressed sale, no way I would be offering asking

I didnt know it was that long, we were told 2018, which was when the current planning application went in. The Builder went bust, 3 of the plots were sold, the others, no-one knows what has happened to them.The Sellers live to the side of the plot, and have been there for 50+ years, so know all about the village, they are on the Community Council etc. The Farmer had originally sold the land up to the Motorway to the builder, but subsequently got it back from the Liquidator.Farm smells wont be a problem, it is far better than the constant smell of weed being smoked around here, and a little noise from the M/way isnt a problem either, we’re builidng a well insulated house, so noise inside will be low. Again, there wont be drug dealers revving their cars, banging doors/fighting at 2am there.

jamesmio
    Free Member

I wouldn’t be so sure – it’s not the nicest patch of the region, by quite a measure I’m afraid.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ecclefechan+drugs&rlz=1C9BKJA_enGB951GB952&oq=ecclefechan+drugs

Honestly – you were on the right track previously but I would suggest at the very least a really, really good look at the Fechan and immediate surroundings before committing to moving there.

robola

I have every sympathy, I have also lived in a house where the neighbours made our lives hell. I don’t think ‘it can’t be as bad as where we are now’ is a good reason for buying somewhere though. Don’t assume that small, rural villages don’t have similar problems.

My guess is that the house prices in that area are so depressed that they couldn’t sell them for enough to make money.

Do you know if the base is an acceptable spec/condition for a kit house company to use?

My gut says run a mile.

uggski

My cousin lived there and moved because of constant harressment from a well known character that lived there. So it can happen anywhere.

I can try ask him what it was but he is not very good at replying to emails.

dovebiker

Given the size of the slab, should be easy to calculate the cost of a house build and compare that to local property prices.
    I reckon that in lots of areas, given the big price increase and delays in getting building materials, the economics of self-building are starting to not stack up. OK if you’re looking to settle long-term and are mortgage free – less so if you’re having to borrow and getting someone to do it for you.

sas78

@JamesMio that Google search is a bit misleading as it encompasses the stretch of M74 where every drug deal in Scotland comes through from England and the drug squad sit and catch them there.

Fechan was certainly lively and a known reliable source of recreational drugs in the 90/00’s but then so was Annan and Lockerbie.

I think that plot is over priced though, by the time you build on that you’ll be lumped in negative equity in a less than desirable postcode.

mick_r

We spent 25 years living across some fields / half a mile from a motorway. Noise was very wind dependent, varying from silent to very intrusive. And with all the night time truck movements, it never stops.

Very glad we’ve moved to somewhere quieter – I get a stark reminder of the noise we’ve escaped every time I cycle to / from work crossing the motorway corridor. I definitely wouldn’t be going to the effort and expense of building a house near a motorway.

duncancallum

I’ve just come here to say about the noise…

I’d maybe go back on a less windy day.

jamesmio
    Free Member

It was slightly naughty I grant you but please don’t let that detract from the point. It’s a bit of a nothing bin of a little place, it really is.

robola

I think that plot is over priced though, by the time you build on that you’ll be lumped in negative equity in a less than desirable postcode.

Indeed, the Land Register is your friend here. A quick look shows the nearest house in the development that this plot looks like it was part of before it was abandoned. Number 4 – sold for £132k July 2009. Zoopla estimated value now £127k. So it sold at the bottom of the post 2008 crash and after 10 years of general rises + Covid bonkers rises it has gone down in price.

This isn’t aimed at making you feel bad OP, this is well meaning. I hope you find what you are looking for, good luck.

scruffywelder
    Free Member

Keep looking OP!

My cousin lived there and moved because of constant harressment from a well known character that lived there. So it can happen anywhere.

Happened to my girlfriend and her family when they lived there. I’ve heard it from others who have moved there in more recent years too. Basically if you’re not a Fechanite of many generations born and (in)bred then it’s pretty much a given…

Fechan was certainly lively and a known reliable source of recreational drugs in the 90/00’s but then so was Annan and Lockerbie.

Nowt’s changed…

scruffywelder
    Free Member

Sandside** is an area that’s not great but slowly improving, helped it has to be said by the demise of the pub right next to that plot. Gradually changing from largely social housing to owner occupiers.

The plot at Greenlea looks pretty much straight at the railway line (which isn’t very busy) and might be a bit soggy underfoot but otherwise not too bad a bet 🤔

Edit: **can’t get the link to work but it’s the auction one Paton referred to…

Harry_the_Spider

200m from a motorway across open field? That will be loud!

I’m 400m away through woodland and there is still a background hum.

Hohum
    Free Member

Decent noise cancelling headphones can help mitigate some of the road noise, but who wants to sit in their garden with headphones on?

We moved to our house almost 20 years ago and I am.surr that the road behind me has become significantly busier since then, so much so that I now despise going out in the back garden.

matt_outandabout

200m from a motorway across open field? That will be loud!

I’m 400m away through woodland and there is still a background hum.

We’re 600-800m from the A9, which is surrounded by woodland and banks.

It’s still a constant noise in the summer, even with leaves on, really noisy but less traffic in winter.

mick_r

You can clearly see those houses / plots from streetview on the M74. It is 100% going to be irritatingly noisy.

I’ve been visiting D&G for pretty much my entire life so can appreciate the things that are attracting the OP. I can’t see that plot delivering what is wanted (apart from a slight chance it might end up a cheap house).

scruffywelder
    Free Member

Spotted a plot for sale in the middle of Shawhead when I was up there for work today, not that far from Crocketford…

Not sure if this’ll work but here goes 🤔

Scotland
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/ziaEUmmQ1SQGj4fy9

Edit: zoom in on the notice on the fence from a slightly different angle and the sellers details are visible on streetview 😁

franksinatra

Crikey, I’m not one to wee on someone else’s chips but that motorway plot looks pretty ropey.
    Silage stored behind the house, working warehouse, long vacant plot next to other empty plots, seriously close to a motorway (looks about 150m with no tree cover) with the noise and pollution that comes from that and nearby houses that have dropped in value. There must be better plots around, please don’t let your situation force you into a decision you might regret.

intheborders
    Free Member

There must be better plots around, please don’t let your situation force you into a decision you might regret.

When the OP orginaly was looking in The Borders we said that buying a good plot isn’t easy, looks like it’s not just The Borders.

I’d recommend that they just sell up and rent somewhere they’d like to live, while looking – but make sure where they rent is nice, as they could be there a while…

big_n_daft
    Free Member

In Scotland I’d be looking at the long-term population forecasts, some areas like Argyll and Bute are looking at over 30% drops in population by 2080, that’s going to mean property prices sinking. It’s not going to be evenly spread but it’s a serious factor if your house is your main asset.

piemonster

Interested in where that stat comes from BnD?

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Cambridge Analytica

Forecasting a general drop in Scotland c7% East Lothian the only area with any real growth

I imagine there will be ghost villages like the ones you here of on the continent. The difference maybe that the Airbnb sector sees them still active but with shrinking permanent population. Again it will probably see a lot of variability depending on the attractiveness of the area.

England the only home nation with population growth, M5 corridor quite striking

Nrs data with a declining population forecast as well
    https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/statistics-and-data/statistics/statistics-by-theme/population/population-projections/population-projections-scotland/2020-based

robola

Oh no, plot now showing as sold and OP has gone quiet.

I sincerely hope this isn’t the start of globalti mkII.

franksinatra

I reckon OP has been too busy dealing with solicitors and agents to come back to this thread. He’ll be feeling pretty chuffed then, in a day or so, will catch up with the chat here…..

I’m sure it will work out fine!

rOcKeTdOg

does the town still have 3 Greggs? tells you all you need to know really

duncancallum

Tbf I’d rather live in fechan than Bolton.

alanl
    Free Member

I dont know why it is showing as Sold.
    We have agreed a price with the seller, which is a lot less than they paid for it 6 years ago.
    We need to sort a Solicitor out now to put in the formal offer. We currently have no money to even put a deposit down, but, hopefully that will change in the next few days as my mortgage offer is supposedly coming through ‘soon’.
    Yes, I have taken note of what everyone has said. We still think it will be a good spot for us. And, it is cheap. There is £20k+ of concrete and drainage/water already in. Similar unstarted plots are £80k+, that is beyond our means if we want to be mortgage free.
    Thanks for the leads Duncan, I’ve spoken to Dougie, it is looking like a year before we move in, which is fine, it gives me time to sort my current house out, and get all the plans ready.

The-Beard

does the town still have 3 Greggs? tells you all you need to know really

Used to be able to see one Greggs from the other – but they moved one to the other end of the high street.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 90 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.