Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Dumfries and Galloway for a week…
  • rascal
    Free Member

Looking to go there in April in the van and taking the bike.
    Will be staying in the van with Mrs Rascal and not pre-booking sites as want to make it up as we go along to a certain degree. Hoping to go to about 3 or 4 of the 7 Staines, but as it’s an area we’ve never been to we’d quite like to see the best of what’s on offer too. So, any recommendations folks? Where’s a must-see and more importantly what’s a must-avoid….and of course what are the must-do trail centres? 😉

duncancallum

Mull of Galloway is a must.

Gatehouse fleets a nice town. As is kirckubright

If the cafe is open at glentrool that’s a nice spot bad has some nice walks.

Redkites at loch ken is impressive.

I like kirroughtree. It’s about my favourite trail centre.

Just mooch around its a lovely quite part of the world

kayak23

I absolutely love a bit of D&G. Last time we stayed in an amazing airb&b near Kippford. Dalbeatie was a five minute drive so I ended up there a bit. I like it well enough, but it’s basically exactly what you’d expect.

I like Kirroughtree. It’s got some ace sections and McMoab is good for a laugh and something different.

Went to Mabie too. Don’t really recall any stand out sections. I think there was some great bits though and some bugger climbs. Also, I came away from my ride with the Oasis line -‘ Mabie….she’s gonna be the one that saves me….’

Yeah I know. Cool story huh.

Anyway. Fantastic area. There has to be some amazing natural stuff too I’d imagine but often on holidays it’s easy to just do the brilliant trail centres.

davy-g
    Free Member

you can park the van up overnight free of charge at Kirroughtree or Ae forest… Gem rock museum is just down the road from Kirrie which is worth a visit, as is Clatterinshaws forest park… enjoy your visit… always handy to hook up with a few local lads if you want to ride some off piste trails…..

mick_r

All the stuff above, plus

Mossyard beach.
    Short walk around Big Water of Fleet viaduct if you are exploring the back road between Creetown and Gatehouse.
    Galloway Preserves cafe in Gatehouse (also burger nights at weekends)
    Mill on the Fleet.
    Cocoa Bean.
    Sulwath brewery in Castle Douglas.
    Designs cafe Castle Douglas.
    Rockcliffe beach. Walk to Rough Island at low tide (maybe not if birds are nesting). Walk to Castle Point / Portling.
    Sandyhills.

Trekster and Somafunk will be along shortly for the locals angle.

bungalistic
    Free Member

Mabie is ace if you can find the off piste stuff, Ae off piste is good too if it’s not too wet or muddy. Pretty sure most of the 7 stanes have off piste stuff actually.

pjm60
    Free Member

Mabie is good, but there’s not an awful lot there. It’s worth exploring the ‘secrets’. There’s more non-trail centre trails at Ae.

Walks wise there’s a nice short walk between Kippford and Rockcliff. The Merrick is worth climbing if you’re across that way. Some good walking up Leadhills area too. The dark sky park is also good (with a clear sky…). If you’re into wildlife there is Caerlaverock and Mersehead. It’s a nice part of the world.

Avoid Lincluden abbey…

vickypea
    Free Member

We got married at Mabie 4 years ago and have been back a few times since then, including a long weekend two weeks ago.
    We’ve ridden at Kirroughtree, Mabie, Ae forest, and Dalbeattie.

I always enjoy going up there, it’s beautiful and pretty quiet.

MoreCashThanDash

Devil’s Porridge Museum on the way there – fascinating place dealing with something I never knew about.

MoreCashThanDash

Glentrool blue apparently has the longest descent of any of the Stands, just know I didn’t stop grinning for ages afterwards.

PrinceJohn

Drumlanrig (spelling?) is nearby too, worth a mooch & there’s a trail centre there. Avoid if you don’t like roots.

As others have said, Mabie, Dalbeattie & Ae are decent places to spend some time.

vmgscot

Drumlanrig – sheltered trails if the weather gets a bit ‘interesting’ like it is just now up here.
    You can even do Ae morning then Drumlanrig afternon if you have the legs.

I quite like the drive down the Queens Road (New Galloway to Newton Stewart) – deer, goats, big pointy obelisk and a place where our ancestors trapped, speared and pummeled animals to death – what more can you want on a day out?

vmgscot

Oh, and if you like a walk in the wild hills with interesting bits of stone then there are the Striding Arches out Moniaive way… saw my first Hen Harrier there.

allfankledup

I rather like PortPatrick – lovely part of the world to visit, smashing harbour, occasionally touristy

Trekster

All of the above..
    https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g186512-Activities-Dumfries_and_Galloway_Scotland.html

Instead of following the main road (75)turn off at Gretna, big shopping centre for a break.
    Then take the old road to Annan, stop off and visit the Devils porridge. Camp site in Gretna if you like. Powfoot and Hoddam are on the way to Dumfries.
    If you wish to take in Caerlaverock Castle(tea room) and WWT(tea room) there is a basic camper site at Castle Corner and a “wild” Site on the Quay end in Glencaple which has a pub/restaurant and a cafe /restaurant. Walks along the shore. Can find info via 🔎.
    On into Dumfries a drive/walk through the Crichton and through Kingholm Quay.
    Check GoSmart, council site nd maps for walking/biking and also Core Paths.
    Sandy Hills, Kippford and Castle Point for camp sites near Dalbeattie depending on how much wild camping you want to do.
    Night ride at Ae on a Tuesday night with a meal an showers available.
    Drumlanrig as already mentioned.
    If there is good weather there is a great wild hill ride from Durisdeer.
    I suspect some of Mabie may have diversions due to felling. Check 7Stanes FB site on a Friday for updates.
    New Abbey is another possible wild camp site, car park by Abbey with good walk or bike ride up to the monument.
    All walks etc can be found on various sites, rides on Trailforks

Trekster

Mull of Galloway
    Depends on which week you are in the area I may be free, all depends on grand kid minding + not been on the bike for a few weeks!!!

Trekster

We love Dumfries and Galloway Facebook page for lots more

Trekster

Scottish motorhomes wildcampers is another site to search on just seen a post from Dundrennan Abbey.
    Search for sites is another app worth looking at.

Mugboo

Following. Me and the wife used to love visiting this corner for riding and a bit of water skiing. Its time we showed our 8 year old around.

prawny

Another massive D&G fan here, we go to Lochmaben on holiday most years.

Kirroughtree is lovely, kippford is nice. I like mulberries in Kirkcudbright, top notch hot chocolate.

Bike wise I make sure I always visit Dalbeattie and Drumlanrig, plus at least one of Mabie and Ae. I’d love to get over to Kirroughtree again with my bike but it’s too far from where we stay.

It’s really family friendly in the area, so I’m not sure what is good for couples, but there’s loads of nice walks, clatteringshaws loch is nice and away from the crowds that don’t really exist, plus cake.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Dumfries and Galloway for a week…’ is closed to new replies.