Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • (dumb question) why doesn't advertisers pay for everyone's internet useage?
  • racefaceec90

apologies in advance for being an idiot,but why do we have to pay for internet use?

i will be closing my 3 mobile account soon,as i just cannot afford to have it anymore (3 mobile dongle £17.40 for 15gb a month?i do not have a phone line connected at home).

i know i’m thick 😳

retro83
    Free Member

The advertisements aren’t put in by the same company that provides your internet service.

camo16
    Free Member

3 is an Internet service provider. It just gives you access to the web, which is where the adverts are.

It’s Google and STW that makes the cash from advertising. Really, you should get free internet from them.
    😆

racefaceec90

man i’m thick (apologies people 😳 it’s one of those days (well every day is one of those days 😆

Seems a reasonable question to me.
    Terrestrial commercial TV is free, the licence is to pay for the BBC.
    Commercial radio is free.
    Some local papers are free.

So, how much advertising would it take to make the internet free ?

camo16
    Free Member

Will Google ever run free Internet, to expose the maximum amount of people to its ads?

redsox
    Free Member

wasn’t the internet intended to be free?

zilog6128

Will Google ever run free Internet, to expose the maximum amount of people to its ads?

I’m not sure people with no money are an advertiser’s dream demographic 😉

Besides which, the Internet is free to use. You just have to connect to it first. So until BT, etc starts seeing some of this ad revenue you will have to pay.

camo16
    Free Member

It’s like a free pass to Alton Towers – the rides might be free, but it’s gonna cost you to get there. Plus, you know you’ll get stung on drinks, candyfloss and peripherals.

swampi
    Free Member

some do, try samba or ovivo, i use the latter; 750mb totally free each month for my data dongle and have the free phone sim too; awesome

allthegear
    Free Member

Camo16 – as it happens, Google do provide internet service and some setups are completely free.

You do have to be in their most profitable market, though; the US…

Rachel

footflaps

Google is an Internet Service Provider in the USA. They offer 1Gb/s connections to homes! They realise that more internet usage = more ad revenue.

danielgroves
    Free Member

What you pay is for your connection to the internet.

The really expensive part of the web is running server, companies and individuals who run websites pay a lot of money for hosting space on these servers, and in the case for larger companies pay lot of many for hundreds if not thousands of servers. Thats where the advertising money will be going, to pay for the keeping the individual site online.

Your just paying your internet server provider to maintain the pipe that allows you to connect to all of these servers.

camo16
    Free Member

That feels to me like geography fascism, allthegear, and that makes me mad. 👿

aracer
    Free Member

some do, try samba or ovivo, i use the latter; 750mb totally free each month for my data dongle and have the free phone sim too; awesome

How does that work then? I’ve checked out the websites and am seeing the free offer which looks very tempting, but surely there must be a catch? Do you not have to sign up for some sort of marketing at least?

swampi
    Free Member

With samba u watch ads and earn mb; ovivo when u connect to net u get an static ad, if u dont want to click it you wait 3 odd seconds and click continue and carry on as normal; the ad pops up ever so often; but if u use a browser like opera with turbo enabled or uc browser in speed mode the ads dot get thro so its win win

swampi
    Free Member

ovivo is far the easiest out of the two; runs on vodafone network; i believe samba uses 3s network

dmorts

A company did this years ago on dial-up. You called an 0800 number to connect to the ISP, then there was a pop up showing ads. Don’t think it lasted long though. In those days you had to pay for the calls to the ISP and a subscription.

Then Freeserve came along with free phone number and just a monthly subscription/connection charge

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘(dumb question) why doesn't advertisers pay for everyone's internet useage?’ is closed to new replies.