Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Dull question: Academic types; Citation/referencing help please.
  • jojoA1
    Free Member

Hi, Im writing an essay where the first few paragraphs outlines the origins, roots and course of development of a social policy newly become law. This development has been written about by numerous authors, usually doing the same thing as I am, summarising the origins of the policy/law before discussing it. Can I reference these paragraphs by describing the course of development then referencing the writers at the end of the description or do I need to attribute specific parts to specific writers? I’m not directly quoting any of them, just wishing to acknowledge that several different authors have charted the progress of the policy and that I’ve used their accounts to inform my summary of the route to current policy/law.

Thanks 🙂

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

or do I need to attribute specific parts to specific writers?

In a citation (as in, your own words) you’d do exactly that, I believe.

I’m not directly quoting any of them, just wishing to acknowledge that several different authors have charted the progress of the policy and that I’ve used their accounts to inform my summary of the route to current policy/law.

So that’s a number of citations, all put together in your own words to form your summary?

jojoA1
    Free Member

They are my words summarising, but I want to acknowledge that I’ve read the other writers’ work.

GrahamS

I’d say it depends on the normal style of paper/essay in the publication/organisation that you are targeting.

But personally I’d go for “attribute specific parts to specific writers” whilst trying to keep the flow as natural as possible, otherwise it just becomes a monotonous list.

dpfr

This topic has been discussed extensively by A, B, C, D……. In summary, the principal conclusions of these studies were …….

and you could tie specific references to specific conclusions if you wanted.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Can I reference these paragraphs by describing the course of development then referencing the writers at the end of the description or do I need to attribute specific parts to specific writers?

If they’re all saying the same thing then you can do them in-line (“According to Connery, Moore and Dalton….”) or at the end of the section or paragraph (Craig, 2014) . Or you if there’s specific sections that relate to specific ideas then it should be broken down.

What needs to be clear is what idea’s came from which author. If the original works are long then you might need to break it down by chapter or page number so that it’s clear.

jojoA1
    Free Member

It’s a post-grad paper for coursework rather than for publication, Graham S.

The passage goes like this at the moment, but I wondered if the ‘list’ of references was ok.

“The implementation of Self Directed Support in Scotland as a principle and policy now embedded in law by The Social Care (Self Directed Support) (Scotland) Act 2013, has been driven by the Disability Rights and Independent Living movements originating in the USA in the 60s. These movements are proponents of the view that people needing care and support should be fully and actively involved in the design, choice of and delivery of the support and services they receive. Similar movements evolved gaining stronger voice and impetus in the United Kingdom in the late 60s and 70s. The first legislation giving Local Authorities’ the ability to offer cash budgets paid directly to those in need of community care services for them to purchase their own, self-selected provision (Direct Payments) in the UK was enacted in 1996. Pilot schemes for Personal (notional) Budgets took place in the UK in the early 2000s through the process of closing large scale, long stay residential care institutions, becoming a national policy in 2007 (Spandler 2004, Rowlet 2009, Lymbery 2012, Williams & Tyson 2010).”

jojoA1
    Free Member

Whatnobeer, I think you’ve got it. I was busy and didn’t read your reply before submitting my last post.

daveagiles
    Free Member

Unless they are all talking about exactly the same thing I would avoid grouping the references. Credit each statement with the relevant author, rather than collectively at the end.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Google Harvard reference system?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Dull question: Academic types; Citation/referencing help please.’ is closed to new replies.