• This topic has 56 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by johnx2.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Duke Of Devonshire and Access land
  • P20

This was covered awhile back on the front page. There’s slight progress, the bouncers on the bridge have gone! But overall it should be a lot better.

argee

I just struggle to understand how we still live by the principle that so much of this country is owned by so few individuals due to historical battles, influence, etc, they had and continue to have. With the way it’s set up these days that they get grants and assistance from NT and so on, they still tend to have their cake and eat it.

chrismac

This. It makes the Russian oligarchs look like honest businessmen compared to how our land and resources ended up in private hands

dissonance

It makes the Russian oligarchs look like honest businessmen

Nah they are just the same. Oligarchs who did their thievery long enough ago and got themselves so embedded into the system that it isnt questioned and instead we are supposed to respect them.
    Just take the Duke of Devonshire. Minor family until Henry VIII where when one of them got into a position of power at the exchequer and suddenly got rather rich.

chrismac

Very true. The rest of the dukes we still have all have got their wealth by dubious means

gardentiger
    Free Member

It is the forelock-tugging gammons I can’t understand.

Bowing and scraping to someone just because they plopped out of a certain vulva.

🤷‍♂️

tuboflard

Gammon is as gammon does.

robertajobb

This is where the French got it right 200 years ago with the help of Madame Guilotine.

Vive la Revolution.

johnx2
    Free Member

Re Devonshire estate, I just ride the tracks, with a few of my remaining koms. Come and get them… it’s mainly gravel but nice open country (albeit grouse eco-desert, funny the red kites so plentiful elsewhere don’t fly over that way). Had one discussion with a gamekeeper but waddya gonna do?

martinhutch

Indeed. Locals will just get on with it, as I do. Shame for the visitors though, they’re missing out.

Richie_B

There have been campaigns since at least the early 1990s to create a public register of these arrangements.  Unfortunately many hereditary peers who still have voting rights and other major landowners in the House of Lords.  The Commons don’t seem to be willing to go up against them, I would say because they went to school with them but the Labour government did no more.

Mark Thomas fronted a campaign in the late 1990s but got no further than anyone else.

MoreCashThanDash

Are there similar issues on their Chatsworth estate? I’m not aware of any.

matt_outandabout

Vive la Revolution.

Do we get to start with the Conservative government?

johnx2
    Free Member

Locals will just get on with it, as I do. Shame for the visitors though, they’re missing out.

Not all locals. I know a few who’d love to ride those tracks but don’t like breaking rules, daft as those rules may be. Which is why I’m all for normalising it (amongst those likely to look on here), like riding high footpaths in the lakes.

alanl
    Free Member

Are there similar issues on their Chatsworth estate? I’m not aware of any

Oh yes. But the focus there is on the River Derwent. Try kayaking the Derwent in the Chatsworth (and surrounding) land, and a ‘Ranger’ will be there sharpish to try to stop you.
    Once someone on the river has been spotted, there is a general alert to the Estates Workers, who can turn up mob handed to stop you going any further.
    I’ve spoken to the Chairman of British Canoeing about this, he knows the Duke personally, and says they cannot do anything about it.
    Meaning they dont want a confrontation. I’d advocate a mass ‘paddle’ down the river, he really isnt going to stop 100+ people in their boats, but, BC say it will be detrimental, and their negotiations should take precedence. but, have so far got nowhere.

ahsat

Not all locals. I know a few who’d love to ride those tracks but don’t like breaking rules

Yeah that’s me.  I don’t like the worry of conflict on my rides, and as a woman often riding on her own, I am not going to try and put myself in an argument with a gamekeeper!  Plus, I am organising a ride over that way in a week or so with a group, but because it’s put out on social media, certainly wouldn’t look to ride footpaths.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I really dont get the moaning. its private land, just like any of the farm land around there.

The bridge across the river at the pavilion has never been open access and always allowed bikes to cross on foot. I bet there have been idiots ride across it.

Its been opened up over the years to walkers, holiday makers etc just not to bikes, I dont see that being different to any other area. Maybe he should just close off all access to his land ?

He should try coming and living in Shropshire where there is lovely tracks/farmland that no farmer will let you on, but it appears its ok just because Bolton Abbey is owned by someone rich.

Stop moaning about the land owner and lobby for open access to footpaths for bikes?

nickc

I really dont get the moaning. its private land

For which the Duke gets a tax break for supposedly “opening up to provide greater access” We’re paying for the right to use the tracks on that land, but because “rich people” that’s not happening. That’s why there’s moaning.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

For which the Duke gets a tax break for supposedly “opening up to provide greater access”

The estate has massively opened up access over the last few years, putting on many events for families, holding many running races etc. It just doesnt include mountain bike access on areas where mountain bike access isnt currently legal.

Roadies go their in huge numbers

nickc

It just doesnt include mountain bike access on areas where mountain bike access isnt currently legal.

Guy’s video seems to suggest that the Landy tracks (for instance) across the moor which are more useable and link to more areas sustainably rather than the current BW, aren’t available to MTBer’s to use?  Why shouldn’t a particular group of users that up to this point haven’t been well catered for, make representations to get that access?

wipperman95
    Free Member

I just struggle to understand how we still live by the principle that so much of this country is owned by so few individuals due to historical battles, influence, etc, they had and continue to have. With the way it’s set up these days that they get grants and assistance from NT and so on, they still tend to have their cake and eat it.

The Normans have a lot to answer for.

And the Duke of Devonshire should maybe move to where is title actually is…. 😉

However, on a more serious note I can’t see it ever changing; we have very little access compared to other countries. Maybe we need to start on Rights of Way first before land access. Bridleways/ BOATs, etc that suddenly become a footpath… but that too is a legal minefield….And those in power aren’t keen to change it.

Gribs

Stop moaning about the land owner and lobby for open access to footpaths for bikes?

That wouldn’t make any difference in this case as there aren’t any footpaths at all on Barden Moor.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Why shouldn’t a particular group of users that up to this point haven’t been well catered for, make representations to get that access?

Correct they can ask, but doesnt mean they should get. There is an inference that because the land owner is rich he shouldnt say no.

If someone asked if they could ride their bike on my garden I would tell them to do one. Whats different ?

I used to live near Bolton Abbey and the riding around there is far more accessible than where I live now in Shropshire where BW appear to just go nowhere and all the farmers appear to be anti walkers let alone bikers

That wouldn’t make any difference in this case as there aren’t any footpaths at all on Barden Moor.

Just checked the OS map and I think it shows permissive footpaths. Certainly there are signs for walking up to Simons Seat etc

nickc

If someone asked if they could ride their bike on my garden I would tell them to do one. Whats different?

If you got a tax break because you said you’d allow them to ride their bike in your garden, and you still said do one?

chrismac

I’ve spoken to the Chairman of British Canoeing about this, he knows the Duke personally, and says they cannot do anything about it.
    Meaning they dont want a confrontation. I’d advocate a mass ‘paddle’ down the river, he really isnt going to stop 100+ people in their boats, but, BC say it will be detrimental, and their negotiations should take precedence. but, have so far got nowhere.

Now you know why they are the Chairman of BC and have no intention of doing anything about access onto chums land/rivers. It why I left BC and just paddle what I want to when conditions allow and completely ignore access agreements

Burchy1
    Free Member

Nah we’re good thanks, with the National Park, Woodland Trust and National Trust all anti-mtb in this area, along with ineptitude of the Forestry commission locally i’m not sure we’d cope!

chakaping
    Free Member

I really dont get the moaning. its private land

Keep on tugging that forelock.

dissonance

The estate has massively opened up access over the last few years, putting on many events for families, holding many running races etc

All for free or are these charged events? Since it doesnt really count in the latter case.

It just doesnt include mountain bike access on areas where mountain bike access isnt currently legal.

Well, yes thats the problem really. He seems to have got a rather large tax rebate for providing additional access when all that is being provided is the normal legal requirement.

Roadies go their in huge numbers

A general feature of roadies is they stick to the public roads.

intheborders
    Free Member

And for us that live in Scotland, it’s not a problem we’ve to really deal with 🙂

Just been out for my lunch ride, rode any track I fancied including a lap of this chaps main house:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francis_Egerton,_7th_Duke_of_Sutherland

One of their estate roads goes with 50m of the house, we can use it, just like we can pretty much any other path, track, lane etc.

Anyone who thinks that land (not industrial, commercial, houses & gardens) ought to have restricted access needs to read about the Enclosures Act and other equivalent land grabs.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

If you got a tax break because you said you’d allow them to ride their bike in your garden, and you still said do one?

The register shows that the Bolton Abbey Estate in Yorkshire (the Estate) has a conditional tax exemption subject to an undertaking that public access is available all year on the permissive footpaths and bridleways shown on a map

The guy in the video was riding his mtb within the estate on a BW so it ticks the box. Again in England you are not allowed to ride a bike on a footpath.

The bridge was only ever a permissive footpath so in theory within his rights to ban bikes crossing it (if ridden)

The owners have created many jobs in the area and done a lot to support the local economy and tourist industry in the area.

A general feature of roadies is they stick to the public roads.

No access is via a private road. MTB’s are just as entitled to use this road. They dont charge cyclist for access, but they do charge cars.

MoreCashThanDash

He’s quite happy at the ancestral seat in (checks map) central Derbyshire…

kelvin

I’ve got to the point where I think rights of way, and access agreements, and concessionary paths are all part of the problem, not something to be built on. Scotland have it right. I thought we mountain bikers had it bad… but when you start looking at access to water courses it gets even crazier. Just take it back.

the Labour government did no more

Well, they did. But that should have been the start, not the end, of opening up the countryside. It’s not just stalled in England and Wales… it’s going backwards. Just take it back.

johnx2
    Free Member

The guy in the video was riding his mtb within the estate on a BW so it ticks the box. Again in England you are not allowed to ride a bike on a footpath.

On the vid the guy rides the bridleway down from storiths on this map:

https://www.streetmap.co.uk/map?x=407099&y=454167&z=120&sv=bolton+abbey&st=3&tl=Map+of+Bolton+Abbey+Estate+Country+Park,+North+Yorkshire+%5BPlace+of+Interest%5D&searchp=ids&mapp=map

…which you can see actually goes over the wooden bridge by the stepping stones, and stops when it gets to the west bank, ie the estate. So he has to turn round and ride back up again. As a winter night ride we’d just head up where it’s marked “dales way” which is easy as you like but gets pretty atmospheric in the dark as you hear the strid roaring in the gorge underneath.

The bridge was only ever a permissive footpath so in theory within his rights to ban bikes crossing it (if ridden)

Not true – check the map.

The owners have created many jobs in the area

Including for bouncers to stop road bikers pushing over the bridge, and gamekeepers driving round with guns in the back of their quad trolleys .

Actually I should edit to say that you do now see a far more diverse range (meaning less white) of folks enjoying the countryside round the abbey than you do anywhere else in the dales, so for sure something must have been done right. Even more so post lockdown.

Though maybe it’s the accessibility that does it. It was pretty much the only bit of the dales I can recall my leeds working class upbringing dad felt took us to back in the day, possibly because of the laid out paths, paid for parking ‘attraction’ feel to a part of the estate. Whatever, it’s a shame they’re so anti bike.

jeffl

I’d recommend anyone interested in access rights in any way shape or form read this book

https://www.waterstones.com/book/the-book-of-trespass/nick-hayes/9781526604729

More info here https://www.righttoroam.org.uk/

Read it last week, really interesting.

Edit: As someone above mentioned, Scotland have got the correct attitude to access rights.

chakaping
    Free Member

It’s not just stalled in England and Wales… it’s going backwards. Just take it back.

Wales is still pending, to be fair. Potential massive gain there.

England – just nah in the current climate.

kelvin

Potential massive gain there.

It’s completely stalled. Going nowhere.

chakaping
    Free Member

Do you have any inside info Kelvin?

kelvin

What progress have you seen in the last three years?

martinhutch

Not true – check the map.

Curiously, the definitive map shows that the bridge is a BW to its midpoint, then changes to a FP. So the locked gate at the eastern end is actually blocking a bridleway, as horse riders would have no chance of using the step stile. Anyone want to report them? 🙂

https://maps.northyorks.gov.uk/connect/analyst/mobile/#/main?mapcfg=Out_and_About

As for the financial incentives, the estate is holding up its end of the bargain, as described, the issue is that the bargain it has been allowed to strike is heavily weighted in favour of the estate, rather than the taxpaying public which is subsidising one of the richest landlords in the world. They have got away with the bare minimum of access for cycling, and the authorities which supposedly negotiate on our behalf to get value for money should be doing more to open up their lands. Hence the campaign.

The Bolton Abbey estate is a particular standout in terms of being allowed to get away with virtually no PROWs on its land – several presumably centuries-old BW tracks simply cease to exist when they reach the estate boundary, and presumably the local authorities were too deferential to pursue them back in the 60s. Most of those BWs are still mapped running right up to the edge, just to rub salt in the wound and highlight the ability of the estate back then to click its fingers and extinguish them without a murmur of opposition.

Grassington Moor and the shooting estates across in Nidderdale are another prime example. Clear and obvious routes which have been downgraded or just vanished where they meet the moor edge or parish boundary. Mossdale to Middlesmoor should be one of the best watershed routes in the county, but it has ceased to exist even on the ground because the BW stops dead.

nickc

Just take it back.

Couldn’t agree more. All of these sorts of agreements appear to be a way of just making it difficult to gain access to paths or tracks. Just ride them.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.