Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Duck Egg Soul
  • luket

Built my new frame up last night and did my back in in the process so am now stuck at home staring at it and p1ssing the dog off by failing to take him for a decent walk. So since I don’t recall seeing any this colour built up yet I thought I’d share it…

Let’s see if I can make this work for once:

It won’t have the wee 100mm forks on for long – the whole point of buying the frame was around some Pikes I have but I haven’t the necessary bits to put them on yet. Posh new front wheel ordered for that purpose and I’m planning on an eccentric rear hub to deal with the slack chain. Otherwise it’ll probably stay dirty and with a lack of matching bits…

Luke

flowerpower
    Free Member

More duck egg love from 2 weeks ago.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/duck-egg-is-beautiful-soul-content

Just to cheer you up!

Scamper
    Free Member

Very nice – looks darker than I thought it would, or is that down to your moody lighting?

Decided to build my new green Bfe Sat night while having too many beers. Could not work out why the rear brake caliper frame bolt holes would not take the bolts and were blanked off behind unlike my Soul frame. Thought it would be great to ring the Cotic mobile number at midnight to test their customer service , but I finally worked out it was overspray. 😀

luket

It is darker than I expected it to be. If that pic darkens it it’s only slightly. Maybe the semi-matt finish makes it look a bit darker, a bit military perhaps. On reflection I like the colour a lot.

Need to have a go and chopping out the extra loop of reverb hose at some point.

cartwheels

Really like the look of that.
    What size frame is it?

luket

It’s a small. Still not been out on it yet, which is bloody annoying!

labsey
    Free Member

Looks awesome mate. Enjoy (when you get better).

ononeorange

It’ll be all the more worthwhile riding it, in the blue! Hope you recover soon.

Burchy1
    Free Member

More importantly, nice garage looks a lot posher than the one at your last house. Is the dining table for when Beefy has friends over?

luket

The garage did a very good job of housing me while I put the bike together. It was lovely and warm and the tea making facilities did their job admirably. And obviously every garage needs a grandfather clock. There is a problem with it though – someone else was trying to eat and watch telly in it at the same time. And she wasn’t over the moon with me putting a bike together there out of bits I hadn’t cleaned elsewhere first. Not sure how I solve that little conundrum.

titusrider
    Free Member

Pikes eh?

In my humble opinion 120mm is the sweet spot

Del

120? maybe for an older one?
    anyway, duck-egg? dog’s egg more like!

out tomorrow then quasi? 😉

actually looks quite nice TBF.
    probably have a wheel i could lend if required?

amedias
    Free Member

looks really good, now hurry up and get it dirty!

luket

’tis now dirty.

And the colour is lovely.

It’s noticeably more capable above a certain speed than my old Rock Lobster frame, probably because of head angle and wheelbase. Built with all the same bits. Loving it. Just need to crack on and get those better forks onto it.

mangatank
    Free Member

Gorgeous looking frame. More Dornier Duck Egg than Spitfire but hey 😉

luket

Cue further narcissistic posting of pictures of own bike, now I’ve got all IT-literate and worked out how to post a photo.

Pikes are on, new wheel to go with them. New back wheel to come sometime soon once I get hold of the eccentric rear hub then it’ll be finished unless I get all excited by things wibbly wobbly and get one of those oval chainrings at the same time.

I’m not sure I understand such clear recommendations to keep below the 120mm “sweetspot” for this when the BFe has the same geometry, but I am seriously impressed with it at 140mm. I was pretty much spun out yesterday on a bit of trail I’d never spun out on before – has to be a good sign.

[/url][/img]

Oh, and clearly the spacer stack will get some hacksaw treatment too some time!

honourablegeorge

The 120mm sweet spot is a personal preference of a few, nothing more.

mangatank
    Free Member

What sort of mudguard is that on the back(lovely bike BTW)?

titusrider
    Free Member

yeah, 120mm deffo a personal thing and yes mine is an old one. I found it hard to get enough weight over the front end for fast cornering at 130mm and above.

if you find you are ‘understeering’ wide on corners and cant get the front to really bite that will be your issue, if you dont find a problem then carry on as you are 🙂

ontor
    Free Member

It even looks good in the flesh as it were.

luket

I guess the fork might be a bit more sagged than the average too. I do also think the bike comes more alive when the gradient increases a little, at which point it’s never going to be a problem getting weight over the front!

This is probably why I’m liking it so much. Personal preference – maybe I’m someone who naturally gets over the front more on the level because I’ll be out of the saddle pedalling. And I probably care more about how it feels once I’m heading downhill.

Re mudguard – that’s an “ass-saver”. Swedish if memory serves. Someone pointed out to me the other day that it probably doesn’t do much but I reckon it keeps a bit off where it really counts – don’t much care how muddy my camelback gets. Was thinking about making something to protect the reverb a bit so would be interested to see any ideas – was thinking I might try to fashion a plastic flap just wider than the post that’s fixed at the reverb collar and slides along the ass-saver when the post’s dropped, maybe making it out of a second ass-saver.

mangatank
    Free Member

Ass-saver…Very interesting idea. Very Dragon’s Den. After all, who likes having a rear guard stuck up in the air like a horny beaver’s tail? positive review on Road CC too.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Duck Egg Soul’ is closed to new replies.