Viewing 11 posts - 121 through 131 (of 131 total)
  • Dubai at Christmas – Pros and Pitfalls?
  • DrJ

Most expats living in Dubai/Abu Dhabi/Doha /Kuwait, etc travel elsewhere at Xmas. Put it simply, they get away.

Whenever I’ve thought about looking for work in Gulf states I’ve asked ex-pats what they like about it, and they say they like the easy access to other places – India, Nepal, and further afield. When I ask what they actually did last weekend they all say “went to the mall” 🙂

scuttler

Whenever I’ve thought about looking for work in Gulf states I’ve asked ex-pats what they like about it, and they say they like the easy access to other places – India, Nepal, and further afield. When I ask what they actually did last weekend they all say “went to the mall”

As a (ex-)European I like being two hours away from about 15 other countries, but all I did was went to the tip, then Meadowhall 😉

DrJ

As a (ex-)European I like being two hours away from about 15 other countries, but all I did was went to the tip, then Meadowhall 😉

Ain’t that the truth 🙁 If only someone had warned us 🙁

timf

I thihk flying a long disatnce anywhere for a holiday is of doubtful morarity given the C02 produced by a significant flight.

I think the western world needs a reset on its atitude to flying.

hugo
    Free Member

I guess in December you need to look at west/south Sri Lanka. I always fancied getting to Yala National Park.

Yep, down Bentota way around to Galle. It’s quite fun to book a hire car with a local company, you’ll get an old Toyota with a few dents, they’ll deliver to the airport and then there is the new Chinese made highway down the coast. We don’t really like having a driver and are used to dodgy driving although this was off the scale. A few 5 star places, the Riu is good, to have some posh days. and then a few quality home stay.

Kerala is massive. It’s best to pick one of two bits and do it well. The backwaters are epic on a private rice barge with a chef, etc, for maybe 3 days. Also, we liked the Varkala end near Trivandrum and also trekking through the tea plantations around Munnar. Green Frog look amazing for bike tours in that part of the world.

When I ask what they actually did last weekend they all say “went to the mall”

Travelling to Asia from the Middle East is fantastic but it’s not a weekend thing. I’ve just got back from a trip to a farm and going to the beach tomorrow as the start to my weekend with a bike ride Saturday, I think. Family pootling rather than holiday stuff.

Not sunbathing weather, it rained today, but 22 degC all day so still shorts and t shirts. Set fine for this week 24ish and sunny. Winter is fantastic outside weather but I wouldn’t fly 7 hours and be happy it’s “holiday” weather. You want April or October for that.

It’s very easy to slip into mall life for many!

IdleJon

The sea is cold all the way along that coast, but particularly around Cape Town

Paddling at Cape Point, my feet reminded me that the next piece of land to the south was Antarctica. It was cold! And it was SA mid-summer.

footflaps

When I ask what they actually did last weekend they all say “went to the mall” 🙂

To be fair though, so can go skiing in some of their malls!

dudeofdoom

Whenever I’ve thought about looking for work in Gulf states I’ve asked ex-pats what they like about it

TBH I always thought it was the moolah 🙂

Mackem

Southern Spain, usually sunny, Christmas before last I had Xmas in Cadiz, was about 20C. One of my best Christmas destinations thopugh was Granada. Beautiful place, blue sky, dry – Cold in the shade.

Danny79
    Free Member

If you want a holiday in the Gulf try Oman, a lot more hotels than when I lived there in the 80s but it’s still supposed to be pretty beautiful. Amazing snorkeling and diving. Still has human rights issues but definitely less so than neighboring states.

dudeofdoom

Southern Spain, usually sunny, Christmas before last I had Xmas in Cadiz, was about 20C. One of my best Christmas destinations thopugh was Granada. Beautiful place, blue sky, dry – Cold in the shade.

Looks out window …. not today 🙂

TBH from what I’ve heard it’s been the coldest weather last year, last week had some stunning sunny days thou.

I do like a bit of Spain it’s both familiar and strange 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 121 through 131 (of 131 total)

The topic ‘Dubai at Christmas – Pros and Pitfalls?’ is closed to new replies.