Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Dual ring users pipe up please! Front mech advice needed.
  • Tomahawk
    Free Member

Howdy…

Just moved on to a dual up front (36t in what was the middle). The bike is running a XTR from mech (It's a S/C Heckler by the way) and it is not exactly quiet let say.

What do other dual ring users have that works with minimal noise?

Muchos.

RealMan
    Free Member

XT front mech. No noise. What's making the noise? The chain rubbing against the mech? Maybe you just need to adjust it a bit..?

ddmonkey

I have an SLX dual ring and bash set up with a standard old top swing LX front mech working normally (just don't shift up more thn once!) and a Blackpire stinger. Its as quiet as a mouse and works a treat.

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

ive got a heckler (06)with an XT front mech – it works fine – just needs adjusting/positioning properly.

slowrider
    Free Member

where the noise? ive always managed to get it runnnig alright with a bit of patience. fiddle with mech height and angle, limit screw and cable tension and you will get there!

i hate front mechs

BigJohn

Your mech has to be as high as you can get it if you're running 36:22. You will see some contours on the plates, the wide gaps have to be aligned with the chain when it's running or you will get rub. The mech (unless SLX) will look stupidly high when its right.

thomthumb
    Free Member

i've always put mine about the same height as a triple and found it works ok.

rickmeister

As per Big John here, but I took the dremel to mine and removed teh contours and dropped it. Quiet now,

clubber
    Free Member

Swapping to a double specific front mech helped massively for my setup (2×9 with no bashring) – the chain was dropping off to the outside with a standard mech (couldn't drop it any further due to swingarm clearance).

Tomahawk
    Free Member

The most anoying thing is that has just come out of my (New) LBS and i had kinda hoped that they knew what they were doing in there. I'm not averse to a bit of fettling quite the contrary.

Here it is by the way….

er… how do i attach some pics?

RealMan
    Free Member

Click the big button that says IMG, then copy and paste the image url into the box and click OK.

You also need somewhere to upload them to, http://www.photobucket.com works well for me.

Tomahawk
    Free Member

Bit of fettling with the H/L limits and it was fine.

Frustrating when you have to do a job yourself having paid someone else deemed to be professional to do it.

Spose the saying is very true with bike maintenance…. If you want… you get the picture.

langy
    Free Member

Threw an SLX double front mech on. shifting is much cleaner with the double than the triple although both options work…

Dirtynap
    Free Member

Should have no difference. I didn't. Just lowered the mech to just clear the 36T ring and then wound the high stop in and that was it. No issues at all.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Your front mech is much too low. But it back up where it should be as if you had a 44 ring. LBS not not done this before I guess.

It should work fine with a Shimano triple mech – I have 2 bikes like this without problems.

Kahurangi

I have a double SLX with normal 3-ring SLX shifters and mechs.

The mech has to sit up quite high, same as if you were running a triple. No chain rub at all.

Northwind

I never had any problems with an XT mech, but the SLX double is a top bit of kit- (provided it fits!)- easier to set up, less rattly (the chain runs further from the bottom "bridge" on the cage), and also lighter than an XT triple if you care about that. Cheap looking though but ace.

firestarter
    Free Member

ive just done mine the other day all i did was adjust the limit screw to stop it on the middle ring and not going over to where the big ring was. i didnt move the mech at all tho and i took out a couple of links from the chain. works sound and no real noise

matthew_h
    Free Member

I couldn't get my XT front mech to work properly with 22/36 at all. Whatever I tried it just wouldn't sit right and I got rubbing in various gears. Bought an SLX double specific mech and it's been absolutely perfect ever since.

Tomahawk
    Free Member

This XTR unit is now working fine…

TBH i would like to go on a decent mech's course because i am sick of being disapointed when getting my bikes back from the LBS! The shop in question are a large presitige brand shop in the north east and you would think that when you spend just short of £500 on bling that they could at least have decency to set it up properly!

Rant over.

Even had the cheek to charge me a quid for a shock valve cap that i noticed missing on collection!

Defo over now. LOL

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Dual ring users pipe up please! Front mech advice needed.’ is closed to new replies.