Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • dual boot mac people….. again! Help needed
  • geordiemick00
    Free Member

Right, PC World took bad the Lenovo lap top, gave me a full refund and then supplied me with a new 21.5″ IMac and Parallels/Windows license.

Before I switch this on!

Do I need to put an anti virus on it? I have none at all on my 6 year old macbook but had Macafee on the lap top I just took back. I presume I could use that license and put the Macafee on the windows side of the iMac?

patricksingletrack
    Free Member

I may be wrong, but Paralells is Virtualisation rather than Dual Booting. I use VMWare Fusion (similar to parallells)

What are you planning to use the Windows aspect for? The decision on whether I would install anti-virus on a virtual machine would for me come down to usage.

patricksingletrack
    Free Member

By the way…

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKgf5PaBzyg[/video]

kcal

Would have definitely thought Microsoft Security Essentials would be more than adequate for a virtual machine. On basis that you can recreate it anyway, there’s not /too/ much harmful effect it can have.

If you have Parallels and a Windows key, it will as before) add a bit of overload to the host operating system (OS X) and disk space, but for email, browse and small apps, perfectly adequate.

Parallels is paid for though – did you get a free or demo copy, with stock Windows licence key? It would need an ISO image as well to install, or I’m guessing it would anyway.

geordiemick00
    Free Member

Kcal
    I bought the parallels and then the windows key, both paid options.

I’m not sure how all this works to be honest, but I’ll be using literally two programs on the windows and that’s it. One is snooper software for my dash cam and the other is an estate agency software.

darrenspink
    Free Member

If your accessing the internet from the virtual windows program then yes. Obviously this would be to just protect windows not the Mac as they don’t suffer the same ills. There is free software out there.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘dual boot mac people….. again! Help needed’ is closed to new replies.