Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • DTSwiss Wheels on CRC – too good to be true?
  • danieljohnreynolds

Am I missing some here – DT Swiss HX 1501 30 Spline (Aluminium) wheelset for 400 quid …? They’re 50% off at the mo. They’re meant to be e-bike specific so burly/tough but IMO that means perfectly suitable for a lad who likes pies and not a skinny roady-type!!!
    They’re the new Ratchet 240 hubs albeit OS oversized hubs for e-bike and still come in under 2kgs. 30 points of engagement so not huge but again far from the worst.
    Any caveats? I was about to press the button but thought I throw the Q out to the empty black of the internet to help me feel better about buying wheels I don’t really need!

julians
    Free Member

good wheels – got a set on my ebike – are absolutely bulletproof. Not the lightest though.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’d buy them if I was in the market for a big bike / big lad wheel set, the hubs are worth more alone!

jeffl

Must resist….

stevextc
    Free Member

you can buy a higher POE ratchet if its for non eBike use

igm

OEM style so you don’t get the full suite of disk mounts, hub adapters and freehubs you get in the normal aftermarket pack, but check carefully what you’re buying and their great.

benos

There’s a comment below on the page from someone there saying
    “There is only a Shimano HG conversion kit, no microspline”
    But surely you’d be able to convert to 12 speed?

julians
    Free Member

There is only a Shimano HG conversion kit, no microspline”
    But surely you’d be able to convert to 12 speed?

My hx1501 wheelset has a 12 speed Shimano microspline hub

bikerevivesheffield

Any link to the

dyna-ti

Any link to the

Google – CRC- Wheels and tyres – DT Swiss HX 1501

It’s quite easy when you get his typing things into google down to a fine art.

But to save you the tricky bit 😉

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/dt-swiss-hx-1501-spline-30-boost-wheelset/rp-prod212141

jamesmio
    Free Member

Ah. That probably explains why I’ve had zero interest in the used (non-Boost) pair I’ve had for sale for ages.

Good wheels, had zero issues with mine in 2+ years use.

hatter

THe HX1501’s pictured don’t have the faster engaging Ratchet EXP Oversized so I’m not sure what info CRC are working from.

Order ’em and see what appears.

benos

THe HX1501’s pictured don’t have the faster engaging Ratchet EXP Oversized so I’m not sure what info CRC are working from.

I saw the “EXP” in the listing but wondered if that model year might have been pre-EXP on the 240.
    At least they’d be no need to swap out the floating ratchet!

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

They do appear to be Ratchet EXP, come with valves only in a pretty shoddy box.

Not sure if the published weight is right on the CRC page as I think I got around 2100g with valves and plastic bag/foam hub protection still on.

I’ll be sitting on this set until I establish the N+1 plan..

razorrazoo

If anyone is looking for a set of XM1501 27.5 wheels (XD driver, Boost F&R, Fluro Yellow Graphic Highlights) I have a VGC used set I no longer have a 27.5 bike for.

Superficial
    Free Member

I’ve noticed that DT Swiss wheelsets often come with some steep reductions in specific size/colour/disc configurations. I’m just waiting for my size to come up!

rockhopper70

Interesting, I’m after a new rear wheel, in 142×12, and XD driver. Wiggle has this,

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/dt-swiss-m-1900-sp-30mm-rear-wheel

Description suggests it is the ratchet driver.

Similar wheel on CRC, has it as the conventional pawl system. I think it is the latter?

argee

Interesting, I’m after a new rear wheel, in 142×12, and XD driver. Wiggle has this,

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/dt-swiss-m-1900-sp-30mm-rear-wheel

Description suggests it is the ratchet driver.

Similar wheel on CRC, has it as the conventional pawl system. I think it is the latter?

Yeah, 1900s use 370 hubs, so ratchet and pawl, that might be where the confusion comes from, it’s ratchet, but not the star ratchet used on 350s and 240s (1700 and 1500 series wheelsets).

rockhopper70

Thanks for the info, they look like these.

https://www.jejamescycles.com/product/41764/dt-dt-swiss-m-1900-spline-30-27-5-wheelset/option/

I was looking to upgrade my wheels but anything stock, is not happening as I need boost front and 142 rear. By the time I have bought just a DT factory built rear, added an XD driver and/or CL rotor, I’m getting near to fitwheels price for an custom build.

danieljohnreynolds

Update: Ordered and received and set up with tyres and sealant. They’re coming in about 150g lighter a wheel than the same setup that i had with DTswiss MX481 and Hope Pro4 hubs. Haven’t been out on them yet but nice hub sound, much quieter than the Hopes. Nice quality from initial impressions as expected and valce cap comes with core remover built in which saved me faffing looking for an old one (it’s all about small wins!).

Here’s the rear hub – it’s the new 240 Ratchet all right with the inner ring screwed into the hub instead of having both free
    https://www.dtswiss.com/en/wheels/wheels-technology/ratchet-exp-os-technology

davros

Now £349 with further discount (£10?) using the code.

benos

Thanks! I couldn’t resist at that price. I’ve been daydreaming about a Ethic, so these wheels might find a good use.

benos

Mine just arrived.

They’re more subtle than the ones shown in the original pic. See the current pic on CRC – they’re current gen graphics on a dark grey rim with only a small flash of blue on each rim and 240 hub.

Out of the box but still in the plastic bags with a bit of foam on the axles, the front weighs 1006g and the rear weighs 1135g.

Definitely OEM. Rims are taped and a valve is included, nothing else. XD freehub. Plain box.

Madison told me the Microspline freehubs (steel for emtb) are on order.

b33k34

Review of them from Bikerader – https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/components/wheels/wheel-sets/dt-swiss-hx-1501-spline-one-35-wheelset-review/

“At 987g front and 1,178g rear for the 35mm (internal) wide versions tested, the HX 1501s are 300g heavier than the regular EX 1501s, but that weight is invested where it matters.
    The rim bed and hub flanges where the spokes attach are thicker, and the spokes are heavy-duty, triple-butted, stainless-steel numbers with reinforced heads. Meanwhile, the hub shells are beefier, with an e-specific steel freehub body and steel ratchets at the rear. Even the axles are designed to take higher loads and run on larger bearings.”

benos

These should be a touch lighter than the ones reviewed on BR because this OEM version has the Al rims from the HX 1700 but the 240 hubs from the HXC 1501. Also jump from a lowly 24 points of engagement to a giddy 30.

They look like nice wheels, but I’m half regretting the impulse buy cos I’ve no idea when I’ll get an emtb 😀

benos

Update: my last comment wan’t quite right

The ones BR reviewed were the previous version HX 1501 with an older 24 point 240 hub and alloy rims. These CRC HX 1501 are OEMs not avaialbe for retail that appear to be a combination of the current HX 1700 alloy rims and the current HXC 1501 240 EXP OS hubs with 30 points.

So maybe the weights won’t be that different, but taking off 20g for the packaging would mean a similar weight front and a slightly lighter rear.

vmgscot

@benos – don’t suppose Madison gave a part number for the microspline freehub?

These would be ideal to replace the stock wheels on my Orbea Rise H15 – only 2 months in and the freehub has already eaten its internals. The DT 4 year old 240/EX471 wheels on my SB6 have never missed a beat and on original bearings!

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Can’t see a steel one listed on Freewheel site but this would also work https://www.freewheel.co.uk/dt-swiss-ratchet-exp-freehub-conversion-kit-with-steel-bearings-varconkitexp

Gribs

I’m trying to work out the difference between ratchet exp and ratchet exp OS. Is it just the OS uses a steel freehub so a normal aluminium one will fit?

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Yeah I can’t see a difference, I get the ratchet to EXP difference but the OS bit I think refers to aminly other elements of the hub and wheel build..

I have a set and the HWYCBL00S5375S I have picked up seems to fit perfectly and match the OEM SRAM XD interface..

Gribs

That’s great to know.

benos

don’t suppose Madison gave a part number for the microspline freehub?

I did ask, but Dean at Madison didn’t respond to that question. Maybe they don’t know yet, as it doesn’t seen to be a generally available part.

@rockthreegozy
    good to know the normal Al freehub fits. The part Dean at Madison was talking about was the steel version, which presumably can take more torque without getting chewed.

@Gribs
    see danieljohnreynolds link above. It’s a chunkier ratchet EXP design for emtb, and it looks like most of the parts are different even though the principle is the same.

It doesn’t look like many manufacturers do specic emtb hubs. I have no idea if it’s geniunely useful or just marketing!

craig5

I’ve just bought another pair of wheels I don’t need. But at that price they can sit about until the Deemax are goosed. When I went to replace a rear rim ( crossmax XL) due to a flat spot (£100) no wheel builder would touch them without replacing all the spokes, another £120! Plus the cost of building. Not far off a new set FFS. Just need to source a HG freehub now, hope I can get one cheaper than £80. Dose anyone want a set of old pikes? Two pairs 140 or 160mm travel? My spare parts bin is getting out of hand.

vmgscot

Wheels arrived and looking good – usual DT understated build. Rim tape had a few large bubbles on one wheel so re-taped that.

So here’s a question – has anybody actually tried using an older Ratchet (non-EXP) freehub on a EXP hub?

I happen to have a spare non-EXP Microspline freehub (steel) so I compared pertinent dimensions and design with the EXP XD that came on the wheels and I’m not seeing anything obvious that would stop it working. The dimensions where the freehub mates to the hubshell are identical as are the insides where the EXP ratchet gubbins sits. Anyway I popped all the EXP stuff inside the ‘old’ freehub and will see how it plays.

Comparison photos – XD is EXP flavour and the Microspline is plain Ratchet. Both are steel – MS has larger bearings (but exact same internal diam…

neverbeentomoab
    Free Member

Spoke to a guy on the dt Swiss stand at ard rock today about what freehub I’d need to fit a shimano 11 speed cassette. He said there wouldn’t be any available in the uk until 2024 as they weren’t expecting many of these wheelsets in the uk so didn’t order many replacement freehubs but then CRC bought in a load of grey import stock. If anyone knows the Part number for The shimano freehub can you can you provide it please.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Is it specifically the steel one you want? The alloy is available and works no problem if your not too hard on the drivetrain

neverbeentomoab
    Free Member

If the alloy will work as well as the steel then yes that’d be great.

Gribs

I chatted to the same guy at Ard rock. He clearly wasn’t impressed with Chainreaction but did confirm any of the exp freehubs will work.

To fit an 11spd Shimano cassette you’d need a HG freehub, part no HWYABL00S5370S
    https://www.bikester.co.uk/dt-swiss-ratchet-exp-freehub-conversion-kit-shimano-mtb-12×142-148mm-M1001109.html

neverbeentomoab
    Free Member

Yeah he definitely seemed a bit miffed which I thought was a bit off. I’m still a dt Swiss customer at the end of the day regardless of where I bought the wheels from.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.