Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • DT swiss xmm twin shot forks?
  • jonnyrockymountain

Anyone got these?
    If so how does the travel drop work?

scotroutes

Turn the lever. The travel reduces (drops the front end). Turn the lever back and they pop back up again. What more do you need to know?

boxfish
    Free Member

Yup. Got them on my hardtail. Just had them serviced after 18 months. TFTuned said they were in excellent condition inside. Very happy so far. I rarely use the travel drop. Mostly leave them open or locked out.

jonnyrockymountain

When travel is down can these be locked out?

boxfish
    Free Member

They will lock out when fully, or partially extended, if that makes sense?

jonnyrockymountain

How much drop is there in travel ie on the 140mm?

boxfish
    Free Member

Do you mean when they are in the intermediate setting?

Good question as I’ve never measured it! From memory, it’s probably between 40-60mm of drop…don’t quote me on that!

scotroutes

It’s 40mm reduction on my 120s.

rockymerlin
    Free Member

Its reduced by a third.

I would highly recommend the forks, really good fun, I found them easy to tune too.

The travel drop is great however there isn’t much in the form of travel when in the travel drop position (maybe 10-20mm).

When the fork is locked out it is stiff as anything, a great fork by my rekoning.

chestrockwell

I’ve got some and am very happy with the performance although they’ve just had a faulty damper changed which took the shine off a bit. Saying that, it was covered by the warrenty after owning them for 23 months 😉

The travel ‘drop’ isn’t like Talas, think of it like a two stage lockout more then travel reduction. Only time I use it is up hill on smoothish tracks.

jonnyrockymountain

Chestrockwell
    What do you mean by 2 stage lockout? And not like talas for travel reduction?

tomfun

1 dial with three positions.

Position 1 is full travel
    Position 2 is reduced travel (travel is reduced by 1/3rd and only a very small amount of actual bounce in the fork)
    Position 3 is full lock out and is as stiffas anything!

I forget if you can fully lockout at only full travel or reduced travel as well as my lock out has not worked for the last few months. They are currently en route from TF tuned after having a new damper fitted. A common problem apparently.

nikk
    Free Member

On my 120mm 29ers, options are:

Fully open 120mm travel.
    Fully locked out at 120mm (no movement at all)
    Partial lockout at about 88mm (very highly damped)
    Full lockout at 88mm.

Thats with 3 position leaver. Open / partial / lock.

Happy with forks so far. Very expensive (carbon crown / steerer version, 15mm axle) but worth it so far. Takes a while to run in, manual says 20 hours, I reckon that is 20 full hours of rough riding, not 20 mixed hours.

jonnyrockymountain

So when travel is reduced it is a full on climbing mode only really rather than a talas once reduced its still fully open?

scotroutes

Yes

fizzicist
    Free Member

I’ve got these and they’re a great fork except for:

There’s no damping to speak of in reduced travel mode. Fine for road climbs but I like an adjustable fork I can run in short travel most of the time and then extend for big descents.

Mine needed a warranty rebuild after 18 hours when the travel reduction failed.

150 hours or so later the seals have failed and they piss oil everywhere now.

Other than that they’re fine.

shortcut

I would describe them as poor – back 3 times on warranty – inserts for 15 were free rotating after first installation of the wheel. Ha 2 sets of steerer and stanchions fitted after bonding failures. Got rid very quickly!

chestrockwell

Chestrockwell
    What do you mean by 2 stage lockout? And not like talas for travel reduction?

Answered above really. The travel reduction is simply for the partial lockout, not like Talas that have 3 different travel settings. Saying that, I only ever used to drop the travel on my old 36 Talas for going uphill so the XMM’s perform the same job. I think you used to be able to get DT’s that had proper travel reduction but they were not the Twin Shot forks. They were the ones based more closely to the Pace design. Not sure if you can still buy them but reference is made in my owners manual.

In my opinion the DT’s are at least as good, if not better then the Fox forks I’ve had and I prefer them to the RS Revs I had for a while. I don’t think they’re any more or less reliable then any others TBH. All modern forks seem to be made of mince. 🙄

chestrockwell

Warranty’s good though. As I mentioned, mine went back without a question a month before the two year’s was up and came back like new.

tomfun

Here’s a question, a bit off topic i know but kind of relevant…

A fork returns from service with a new damper & new seals. I presume as they have all new internals that they will need bedding in again (stated as 20hrs)???

chestrockwell

Good point, I guess the damper would need bedding in?

nikk
    Free Member

Nah, the seals would though.

In my opinion the DT’s are at least as good, if not better then the Fox forks I’ve had and I prefer them to the RS Revs I had for a while. I don’t think they’re any more or less reliable then any others TBH. All modern forks seem to be made of mince

I think the striving for lightweight along with the tight tolerances needed means the possibility for small manufacturing errors to cause problems is high in mountain bike suspension systems, especially given the rough use they get. My own experience with Cannondale Headshoks confirms this – the bike had to go back THREE times before I got a fork that held air and didn’t pish oil… but then they were very reliable for many years. Reading about all other brands of forks, I think the same thing happens. If you total up the forum complaints, you wouldn’t buy any suspension fork ever.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘DT swiss xmm twin shot forks?’ is closed to new replies.