Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • DT Swiss XMM travel question
  • DiscJockey
    Free Member

Just received some ‘new old stock’ XMM 120s and I think the travel is much less than it should be. Just want to check with you guys before having a rant to the supplier (I’d take it straight back to a shop if I’d not got it from a mail order only company).

Problem – If I move the sag-check o-ring down onto the seal, let the air out, push forks all the way down, then pump the forks back up again, the o-ring sits about 1cm below the crown. At this position, the distance between the o-ring and seal is 98mm. In fact, the distance between the end of the stanchion and the seal is 110mm. This tells me straight away this fork cannot provide 120mm of travel.

Can any XMM owners let me know if they get the full stated travel ?

My axle to top of crown height is 495mm, which doesn’t sound right either for 120s.

If I compare this to my EXM130 forks, at full extension the top of stanchion to seal distance is 145mm. I don’t think forks are ever supposed to compress down until the crown touches the seal, in which case my new XMMs aren’t even 100mm travel !!

monkeyboyjc

Sounds like you have a 100mm set…

DiscJockey
    Free Member

Thanks for that list.

Sorry, ignore what I said previously – I’ve just measured again (this time properly using a tape measure) and it is exactly 480mm, so that seems consistent with the low travel I’ve measured. It seems to confirm overall that the travel is stuck down, which is worrying for new forks that don’t have any form of height adjust ! (they’re single shot).

I’ll be well annoyed if I have to return them. I’d rather get a partial refund from the supplier and fix them to be honest, but I just can’t think what might be wrong 🙁

welshfarmer

My 140 forks XMMs have about 150mm of stanchions showing. The final 10mm are never used. Perhaps yours really are only 100mm???

juan
    Free Member

Are they TB or OPM?

DiscJockey
    Free Member

I am getting rather suspicious now, and have started looking to see if someone’s put XMM120 stickers on a pair of XMM100s 😉

Seriously though, the paint/stickers are all in perfect new condition, so I very much doubt this. I’m quite sure they’ve come from the factory like this.

My best guess at present is that they’ve got a damper cartridge from an XMM100. I’m not sure which part acts as the extension stop. Could be either the damper or ABS piston…dunno

Serves me right for going for a bargain doesn’t it.

I’ll speak to the seller in the morning…

DiscJockey
    Free Member

Juan – they’re Torsion Box Single Shot, so no newer than 2013, possibly 2011/2012.

chestrockwell

Didn’t have these issues with my XMM’s and they had over their 140mm travel showing above the seals.

DiscJockey
    Free Member

Spoke to DT Swiss support today. They reckon there’s a 100mm air spring in these forks !

Still waiting to hear back from the supplier. There’s naff all they can do with these forks now. It’s not like anyone’s got 120mm DT SWiss air springs lying around (as confirmed by DT Swiss support). I’ll see if I can get a full refund and I’ll stick these on the wall in the garage 😉

juan
    Free Member

hummm weird, very wiered altough ti can happen.
    And as for changing the travel it’s probably not worth it as you will have to change the SS cartidge and the UCU.

RCZ purchase by any chances?
    Best regards

DiscJockey
    Free Member

Hi Juan,

It all depends on whether they’re full XMM100s with XMM120 lowers. Or XMM120s with an XMM100 ABS assembly. I’m 99% sure now it’s the air spring that’s limiting the fork’s extension.

If it’s the latter, there’s no chance/point trying to find a 120mm version – although I did hear that they’re all the same, and it’s the height of the plastic tube that sits at the back of the piston/elastomer rings that determines travel (makes sense). Apparently a 100mm version could have this tube cut down by 20mm to convert it into a 120mm version, but removing the top piston from the shaft isn’t a basic DIY job.

I had to Google RCZ as I didn’t know what you meant. I’d never heard of that place before – looks dodgy ! So no, definitely not an overseas supplier like that.

nikk
    Free Member

Two sets of XMM 120 here, both carbon steerers, twin shot.

2013 has 120mm at full extension, with 10mm approx at maximum compression.

2014 has 125mm at full extension, with 8mm at max compression.

It is likely that last 8/10mm is taken up with some elastomer bumpstop to stop them bottoming out metal to metal.

Seems that Alltricks has some serious bargains on 2014/2013 DT folks. I’d recommend grabbing some twinshots, great setup, and the new 2015s don’t do the lockout / drop n lock / semi-lock – the old ones do.

DiscJockey
    Free Member

Thanks Nikk,

Yes, there’s a 10mm elastomer at the bottom of the lowers on the spring side – the stanchion bottoms out onto that.

I only got this single shot fork as it was ridiculously cheap (now I know why) and has a remote. But I’d rather get the twin shot with remote as I really like the climb mode (I have EXMs on another bike).

That’s another overseas supplier I’d not come across before. Considering the current GBP/EUR exchange rate, it’s arguably worth the risk of going with a mail-order shop on the continent ?

nikk
    Free Member

Mail order from over there is fine. They are good to deal with IMHO. It is just across the water. Would just be another state in the USA. Euro to pound is great right now, good time to buy stuff from euro mainland. Word is it is gonna drop over the weekend so spend spend spend 🙂

DiscJockey
    Free Member

I think I’ll give up on my pointless quest now.

I’m fairly sure the stanchion/crown assembly and lowers are XMM120 as when they’re fully bottomed out, there’s still 10mm of stanchion above the wiper seals.

But if I alternately undo the damper bolt or air piston bolt from the lowers and try extending the forks, both prevent full extension. This suggests that both the ABS and SS damper cartridges are XMM100.

The only thing these forks might be good for are a replacement set of lowers. My EXMs are only QR, so I’m tempted to ‘upgrade’ them to QR15.

I’m fairly sure all EXM/XMM lowers are the same regardless of fork travel – I could be wrong though ?

alltricks
    Free Member

Hi DiscJockey,
    My name is Jeremy and I am working at Alltricks.
    You can shop in confidence on our website. We have pretty competitive prices and with the current GBP/EUR exchange rate, our prices are even better for you 🙂
    Singletrack members seem to be happy with our services 🙂
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/talk-to-me-about-alltricks
    If you have any question about a product, let me know.
    Cheers,
    Jeremy

juan
    Free Member

WELL RCZ IS legit and you’ll be taking little chance he’s good (as good as a non LBS can be) and as some good deals on DT
    For your fork basically the SS cartidge defines the ravel (hence you have different cartisdge for 100 and 120mm travel)
    The EXM will work differently from the TS with respect to the lock out system
    This is not true for SSII and OL cartidge.

juan
    Free Member

EXM and XMM are the same lower but not sure I’ll double check with workshop tomorrow and the abs is the same regarding of the fork travel

dirtyrider
    Free Member

bump, quick question regarding RCZ, did one order, all went fine, intact they even sent me free gifts, but now the prices are higher (around 15%) when i log into my account, anyone have the same?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘DT Swiss XMM travel question’ is closed to new replies.