Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • DT Swiss XM 1501 wheels
  • charliemort

Looking at some of these, but they only seem to come with Shimano freehubs, whuilst I need XD. Even on DT Swiss’ site they seem to have Shimano only

Do you have to buy an XD freehub separately?

Akers

They come with both std Shimano (fitted) and XD drive freehub (bagged separately), in the box. You just have pull off the end cap and swap them over.

nuke

Great set of wheels. If you can take the yellow decals, half price with xd freehub at jejames…

https://www.jejamescycles.com/dt-swiss-xm-1501-27-5-30mm-wheelset-oem-vpe3301.html

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    andyrm
    Free Member

You really won’t go wrong with 1501s. Phenomenal wheels, and they’re 240 hubs so that JE James deal is ridiculous value!

If you’re buying second hand I have a DT Swiss XD driver I was going to list as just fitted a microspline body.

freeridenick
    Free Member

18 months of heavy riding on mine. Surrey, Wales, Tuscany, Switzerland, Madeira and French Alps. Still straight as new and no dings. Hubs been no problem. Best wheels Ive ever had

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

If those jejames had been 29 I’d have bought some!

gp
    Free Member

Do the decals come off? Can’t quite stomach the yellow…

razorrazoo

No, the decals are waterslide type, I’ve considered them and looked into options to remove the yellow and there’s nothing short of attacking the rims with wire wool and solvents.  No decal kits to fully cover either.

Got a grey frame so they would go OK but I’m not fully sold :-/

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Do they do a 29 version of these?

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Yes.

razorrazoo

I’ve ordered some.  Was going to rebuild my Pro 4s on DT Swiss rims but it’s cheaper buying these and selling the Hope Wheels as they are.

Will see what they look like then review sticker options.

scruff
    Free Member

Mine are the red colour version, you cant get the graphics off. Brilliant wheels though especially at that price.

johnny

I changed my 29” DT M1900 splines on my AM9 for a pair of these in the winter, and although I’ve only done a handful of rides on them, they have transformed the handling of and pick-up speed of the bike.

I was lucky enough to get a couple of days riding in Portugal at the end of February, and they were stiff and capable on properly chunky/rocky terrain, while being light enough for 1000m+ climbing days. They’ve got to be some of the best wheels in that price range.

Rustychain
    Free Member

I’m in need of a new set of wheels for my Mk1 Aeris. The 1501s that came with it are just about shot.

Is there an easy way to convert these to non-boost? That may be a dumb ass question, I’m a bit ignorant about the whole boost thing. 🙄

razorrazoo

Don’t think so Rusty, kits are usually to size up old hubs, not down old ones.  What’s up with the current ones?  Fresh hub bearings, or rebuild hubs with new rims.

hatter

If you dont like the red colour patchea invisiframe do decal sets for the Spline 1 rims and hubs in any colour you like.

Rustychain
    Free Member

Razor – I’ve struggled to find a direct replacement rim, which is why I was interested in a replacement set. It would be much cheaper to replace a rim though, so I’ll have another look.

razorrazoo

I think the equivalent rim is an XM481.

razorrazoo

JE James wheels arrived and now fitted.  The decals are fluro yellow which actually looks pretty good, and only necessitates buying a new black Stem top cap to replace the gold one and bring colour karma.

Wheels were 6 bolt with no spare Shimano free hub (didn’t expect one).  Wondering what they were originally specced on.  Feel significantly lighter than the hope enduros and cassette, tubeless tyres and discs swap all done in 45 mins tops.  Tubeless was a doddle, track pump with valve cores in first time and held air for last 48 hours.  That’s 3 sets of DT Swiss wheels I’ve had (road and mtb) where the tubeless process has been pain free.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘DT Swiss XM 1501 wheels’ is closed to new replies.