Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • DT swiss x1700 wheelset – any users?
  • DT78
    Free Member

New bike comes with them, after one ride I’m a bit underwhelmed – how do they hold up? Rims in particular do they survive rocky places?

Anyone know what rachet comes fitted as standard?

z1ppy

Should be the DT Swiss 350 hub, so 18T racket?
    I have a set of 1900 so worse hub(370) and rim(?), which has survived 18 months of my ham fistedness, though only occasionaly really rocky tracks. I’m eyeing a set of 35mm ID, H1700’a for my new bike.

hatter

The X’s are the ‘XC’ variety of the 1700s so generally not as wide or as robust as the M (Trail) or E (Enduro) versions.

The flipside is that they’re pretty light and the 350 hubs are very solid with readily available spares, if you’re not a gnarr-beast they’ll probably be fine.

The 18 tooth ratchet is slow but very reliable and goes for ages between services, if the engagement bothers you you can switch it out for a 36 or 54 tooth

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    gkeeffe

I have DT m1700 spline2 30mm internal. 18 months and not a single ding and I only ride in the Lakes. Been very impressed. Bearings are still good too, and their weight is good. Not sure what the difference is between x and m though

hatter

Only difference between the X, M and E versions are the rims, each one getting progressively beefier with more material on the sides to resist dents.

As a result the weight limits for the M’s and E’s are also higher.

They all use the same hubs, spokes and nipples and the rims have the same ERD’s so it’s pretty easy to swap the X’s for M’s or similar at a later date if you so desire.

DT78
    Free Member

I thought the weight seemed a bit on the high side (just shy of 1800g)

Is replacing the rachet as easy as it says on line – just pull the cassette?

And, finally where is the cheapest place to pick a 36 or 54t up? Seem to be several on ebay but not sure if they are genuine.

uberscott

Not sure about the cassette, I usually remove that first, then pull out the end cap and then the freehub.

I got a pot of the recommended DTSwiss red hub grease, and it’s not cheap! You’ll need this if you’re putting new ratchets in (unless anyone knows of an alternative)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004KZY3I6/ref=pe_3187911_189395841_TE_3p_dp_1

pembo6
    Free Member

If you get original DT Swiss star ratchet (not fake or different brand) it should come with the grease. Enough to last a lifetime!
    I’ve got M1700 wheelset. Pretty happy with it. But definitely needed the 54t ratchet upgrade. Really easy to do. Just google a video.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘DT swiss x1700 wheelset – any users?’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts