Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • DT Swiss wheels – E1700 or M1700?
  • munrobiker
    Free Member

I need a new set of wheels following the death of mine last weekend (freehub ratchet came unstuck inside the hub and isn’t repairable). I’m looking at DT Swiss E1700s or M1700s. The M1700s are £200, the E1700s are £280, the Ms are 22.5mm internal and the Es 25mm. I’m coming from Spank 25mm internal rims, which in turn replaced 19mm internal Mavic Crossmax Enduros. I can’t say I’ve noticed the difference in rim width between those two.

The bike is a Transition Patrol, so 160mm, used for big mountain stuff and rocky Peak District stuff. I tend to use all the travel available to me and do ding rims, though not necessarily put them out of true, a few times over a couple of years.

Will the much cheaper M1700s be up to the job? Their usage on the DT website is “XC, All Mountain, Enduro”, the E1700s are “All Mountain, Enduro”. The Ms are also 140g lighter.

Any ideas?

squealer
    Free Member

This isn’t an answer to your original post sorry but canyon have some cheap dt swiss wheels at the moment like this

https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/accessories/?category=10411#id=62805

Might be worth a look as well?

munrobiker
    Free Member

I had seen them, and they’d be my first choice if it didn’t involve buying centrelock rotors/adaptors and an XD freehub. By the time I’ve done that they’re more like £350, which is bit much.

chakaping
    Free Member

You want the E1700s.

I think the rims on them are a sleeved version of the mega-tough EX471s.

uberscott

My E1700s have coped with repeat visits to Morzine without a problem. I’m not the daintiest of gents either, so I can vouch for their toughness!

nickdavies

E= enduro
    M= marathon

Simple really if you want something a bit burlier go with the e1700 if you want a lighter rim go with the m. Both good wheels. I’ve got EX’s and they’ve been brilliant.

I’d say for Peak riding go E unless your a real racing snake sub 70kg.

tpbiker
    Free Member

200 quid for those sounds like. Bargain. I have the x1700 on my ascr and they were selling for double that when I checked. Are you talking second hand?

mattherby
    Free Member

I’ve previously had the E1900 and then bought a Reign which came with the M1700. Although aimed at less ‘enduro’ riding they’ve so far held up really well.
    Personally I’d go for the E1700 purely for the extra strength and width but you won’t be going wrong with the M1700 if you wanted slightly lighter and slightly cheaper wheelset.

markmck
    Free Member

Where can you get M1700s at £200? I’ve been looking for a set but not seen them that cheap.

tpbiker
    Free Member

UK cycle centre has them for that price which does seem a bargain

markmck
    Free Member

Thanks tpbiker, I see they are second hand and for a 29er- I’m after 27.5s.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Not such a bargain after all then!

munrobiker
    Free Member

They’re from a German shop on ebay, new. Decal colours are a bit grim but apparently they come off with a bit of nail varnish remover.

I’ll post a link once I’ve bought whichever ones I end up buying as I think they haven’t got many!

deadkenny
    Free Member

Been smashing around on some Ms (1900s, not 1700) in the Lakes, rocky trail centres and Surrey Hills, and no issues. They’re just a temporary cheap replacement for crappy carbon wheels that cracked just at the sight of a small bump in a fireroad. I trust the M way more than the carbon stuff I had.

Given it’s on my 5010, lighter, shorter travel, used more for general mix of trails, XC and all mountain stuff, the M seemed better choice for bit lighter weight. If I was doing more of the heavy stuff, or I was heavier myself, I’d go E.

That said I’m really intending replacing with a custom build of XM421 or 481 with 350 hubs. I’ve also got a set of EX471 on my Nomad for the heavier stuff, which supposedly are tough as.

Only thing I’ll say about the E/M etc factory sets is they tend to come with centrelock hubs unless OEM, and check the truing. Oh, and I think they’re all straight pull?

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

threads alive!

E 1700 spline 2s cheap on CRC. Should I?  deeply unfashionable 25mm internal .  29 flava boost.   might be Worth it just for the hubs?

oldejeans
    Free Member

yeah I couldn’t resist that CRC deal.  I wasn’t hell bent on running huge tyres so convinced myself I didn’t need the 30mm.  I’m a serial dinger so I chose the E1700 over the M1700.  The boost hubs looks very spindly!

vincienup
    Free Member

Phew! I feel better now, hadn’t noticed it was an old thread and was just cursing having bought 30mm Boost M1700’s at CRC earlier this month…

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

well i was thnking i could eventually put a wider rim on the front. probably keep the rear 25mm. its for a smuggler which can only take a 2.4 tyre anyhow.  not super light though.   ugh decisions decisions

vincienup
    Free Member

Tbh, at the price CRC we’re doing them they weren’t a bad buy when you consider the cost of a pair of DT350’s and some reasonable rims.  I didn’t think the 30mm looked insanely heavy compared to stuff like the Hope wheels. At full price they would have been a bit porky for sure…

I was looking at older threads suggesting that DT standardise their ERDs so rebuild with EX’s if/when the rims are shot shouldn’t be hard.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

vincie you bought m1700?  they are the more ‘all mountain’ ones?  How much were they?

vincienup
    Free Member

£299 before 10%BC.  With stock issues, DT hub pricing is a bit tricky right now but I reckon I’d have been over £200 in one of the German stores for a pair of Boost 350’s.

The M’s are the more ‘AM’ model yep.  I’m not gnarcore and don’t really do airtime so I reckon they’ll probably be fine for me.  I only bothered with 30mm cos the build I’m planning is going to be nearly plus wide and it seemed silly not to when there was the choice.

They are definitely 6 bolt btw which might make life easier but definitely adds a bit of weight to the hubs.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

ta

vincienup
    Free Member

Np! 🙂

dlr

I have a set of the E1700 30mm which came on a new bike, bear in mind they have the 18T ratchet as standard which leads to a hideous 20deg max pick up, very slow, far worse than my old basic superstar switch wheels. Yes you can upgrade but that’s another £60 odd which is a pain but I will probably do that soon. Mine has also slipped a couple of times so something not right…. Wheels themselves seem fine, no spoke issues, the freehub is quite which I like and the claimed figures are good considering the width/strength

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Cheers dlr that’s a very good point. I think I’m going to give them a miss and get what I want, what I really really want.

ta all!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘DT Swiss wheels – E1700 or M1700?’ is closed to new replies.